What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody following Jobs' advice on work?

iFan85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another Monday morning and my stomach is churning. When did it become common for people to lay down and accept the 9-5? It's not even 9-5 anymore. More like 7:30-6:30 without overtime pay to show that you're a team player (and to not get the ax).

Saw these two links on an iphone forum and it inspired me to find what I love to do.

Text of Steve Jobs' Commencement address (2005)

How to Find What You Love to Do » The Definitive Self Improvement Blog - BrianKim.net

My question is, is there anybody here who has actually done it like Steve? I would love to live his kind of life. What's it like? How are your Monday mornings? Are you able to pay the bills and save? How did you get over the fear?

I can't imagine I have to go through 40 more years of this, probably for the rest of the my life considering the way the global economy is going and the dollar losing value to inflation and Bernanke's printing press...

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Love my work. I picked it early, decided I wanted to do it even if I didn't make much money, and I've ended up making more than I ever expected. I never considered doing something I wasn't keen on. If I end up hating my work, I will do something else, even if I have to reduce my lifestyle.

retexan599

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guess I started with Job's philosophy when I started college in 1955. I had a great high school chemistry teacher, decided I wanted to do chemistry and got to spend the rest of my college and working life doing just that. Would not change a thing. Now I find that Steve agrees with me :)

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
retexan599 said:
Guess I started with Job's philosophy when I started college in 1955. I had a great high school chemistry teacher, decided I wanted to do chemistry and got to spend the rest of my college and working life doing just that. Would not change a thing. Now I find that Steve agrees with me :)

Well said.
AA

OP
I

iFan85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Love my work. I picked it early, decided I wanted to do it even if I didn't make much money, and I've ended up making more than I ever expected. I never considered doing something I wasn't keen on. If I end up hating my work, I will do something else, even if I have to reduce my lifestyle.
That's what I'm talking about! Respect! It gives me hope :) Do you mind me asking what you do?

OP
I

iFan85

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Lol! Nice. If Steve were here, he would say "Touche".

Amazing what influence our teachers can have on us eh? I wish I had such a teacher like that in school. Now I understand why teaching is such an honorable profession.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's what I'm talking about! Respect! It gives me hope :) Do you mind me asking what you do?

I don't mind your asking, but I don't talk about my work beyond general stuff on purpose. Usually when people learn what I do, they think it's a cool job. It is, but it's also lots more work and way less glamour than they imagine. It's a perfect fit for me, though.

It was an easy choice, because I imagined other careers and shuddered. I knew I didn't have it in me to do something I didn't love. What would make me get up and go to work every morning? A paycheck wouldn't be enough. I'd have had to turn to a life of crime, lol.

Susan G Brown

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry dear.. :( i have no any IDEA at this time but sure i will back again with solution..

AppCrack2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's worth it. I know two people who are completely different. One is stuck in the 9-5 but makes money but is unhappy. The other does what he loves but makes less money but is way more happier. I think we overestimate how much money will make us happy. We just need enough to survive and save and invest for. That's the problem with this culture. Its too money focused. Isn't that what brought about the whole economic downfall?

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is not aimed at anyone in this thread, but is an outcome of my 20 years of work experience

If you don't love what you do, you are doing no one any favors. Sure we could all use more money, but that will never give you satisfaction in the job.

If your just being carried by the currents from day to day, don't think the employer does not see that. And while you may be doing an adequate job you will never be a shining star since you don't care. And when you don't care you will never put in enough effort to be a star. You just cannot! If you are putting in way more effort than you are being recognized for don't give up and become furniture. Keep putting in more effort and look for another job.

I have employees that love/Care about what they do and their work is great even though they find it easy. They just don't have it in them to do a poor job. Others that don't care about the job do only enough to survive. They seem to be there only to collect a cheque. They also keep making poor decisions and mistakes. It really is all in their attitude.

Do yourself and others a favor and either start to care about the job you are doing or find one that you do care about. Be the star that you want to be! But don't become a rusty cog as that will get you nowhere that you want to go.

OP
I

iFan85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is not aimed at anyone in this thread, but is an outcome of my 20 years of work experience

If you don't love what you do, you are doing no one any favors. Sure we could all use more money, but that will never give you satisfaction in the job.

If your just being carried by the currents from day to day, don't think the employer does not see that. And while you may be doing an adequate job you will never be a shining star since you don't care. And when you don't care you will never put in enough effort to be a star. You just cannot! If you are putting in way more effort than you are being recognized for don't give up and become furniture. Keep putting in more effort and look for another job.

I have employees that love/Care about what they do and their work is great even though they find it easy. They just don't have it in them to do a poor job. Others that don't care about the job do only enough to survive. They seem to be there only to collect a cheque. They also keep making poor decisions and mistakes. It really is all in their attitude.

Do yourself and others a favor and either start to care about the job you are doing or find one that you do care about. Be the star that you want to be! But don't become a rusty cog as that will get you nowhere that you want to go.
Eye opening post. Thanks so much for writing this. I'm printing this and putting it next to my desk. This is what I love about people have experience. They can articulate such poignant things. I'm definitely determined now more than ever to do what I love. Thanks!

OP
I

iFan85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bump for any other people's experiences with this.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Another Monday morning and my stomach is churning. When did it become common for people to lay down and accept the 9-5? It's not even 9-5 anymore. More like 7:30-6:30 without overtime pay to show that you're a team player (and to not get the ax).

Saw these two links on an iphone forum and it inspired me to find what I love to do.

Text of Steve Jobs' Commencement address (2005)

How to Find What You Love to Do » The Definitive Self Improvement Blog - BrianKim.net

My question is, is there anybody here who has actually done it like Steve? I would love to live his kind of life. What's it like? How are your Monday mornings? Are you able to pay the bills and save? How did you get over the fear?

I can't imagine I have to go through 40 more years of this, probably for the rest of the my life considering the way the global economy is going and the dollar losing value to inflation and Bernanke's printing press...

Most jobs way back when were 9 to 5 jobs. That said, many jobs started earlier or later. Just like today. My mom and dad both had 9-5 jobs. I had a 10-6 job as did my brother. I recall mom occasionally worked over time as did my dad who was actually on call to solve Marchant Calculator and SCM Copier problems. Just like a doctor.

I knew a man who would not tolerate people putting in long hours just to show they were "team players." He maintained that employees working themselves to death were not very smart and he hated not very smart. They lacked judgment. I agree. There is a point where you become tired and pissed at having to work late and your work suffers. Some say you might work 11 hours per day, but your productive for only 8 of those hours. You work very hard and gain nothing.

I agree. And there are plenty of studies to show I am right. And there are many more studies that prove I am wrong. And there are even studies that prove Google actually generates bad studies, vast amounts of copy and is staffed by terrible and misinformed robots writing terry bites of copy. This very forum is likely part of the conspiracy. We just do not know.

I did not follow the links you posted so I cannot comment. Let me just comment and say I distrust the link. Never seen it, I just distrust it. Why? Well, because it is on the web, silly.

In some cases, working long hours is required and I think there are a few that can work long hours. Then there are those that only think they can, and they are not productive, just too GD proud they can work long hours, as though their rulers give a rat's red rump. I love to see those people fired because I am not very nice.

They wake early, drink coffee, deal with the screaming kids and a horrid wife. They climb into their 6 year old still not paid for car in need of repair and fight the traffic to get to their crappy cubicle, where they take orders from some young snot half their age. They must work for the next 12 hours or so, get into their crappy car and drive home. Repeat the next day.

No wonder people hate their jobs.

Most reactions