What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody else wondering why they made the changes they did to the ipod app in ios5

skylined69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it was an attempt to improve the app in my opinion it's failed it seems they have just shifted things round for the sake of it, the only improvement they could have made would be to have added coverflow to the app, I've heard the album artwork doesn't look that good at that scale but If you tap on the artwork of any song playing when it's maximised it looks ok to me and that's larger than it would likely be with coverflow.

Anybody agree?

1096bimu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It certainly looks better than before, but worse in features.
No more lyrics
You can't tell if the shuffle,repeat AirPlay buttons are active or not
A store button is always there, why? Even the most hard core iTunes user wouldn't use it THAT often

Btw I customize all my album arts so they are all at least 768 by 768.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Um! Yes, I noticed that. What was the point of me finding all those lyrics and now I can't sing along to the songs now! I was hoping for cover art flow myself. I love it on iPhone, iPod touch but nothing on iPad? I've made sure my cover art is all the right size too. Kaykaykay, what do you mean no play all! Really? I never noticed. Will definitely go back and look now.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe it's because I'm just not used to it, but I have to agree, I'm not too impressed with the new "Music" App. The original iPod App seemed more intuitive and less cumbersome somehow. Again, it may take some getting used to, but...

FWIW I found the Music App's response very slow when I first upgraded to iOS 5. I solved it by resetting my iPad. It's pretty snappy now. If anyone else is experiencing the slow UI issue, you might want to give that a try:
  • Reset the iPad: You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake button on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process will take longer than the restart.
Folks that are unhappy with the Music App can let Apple know...

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Last edited:

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I find using the Music App a little more comfortable (comforting?) by tapping the tiny album art icon in the playback bar. It brings up the old, familiar full-album playback...album art first, then tap that and the controls are exposed. Better, but still not great.

FWIW the Music App is fine on the iPhone and iPod Touch, basically the same as the iPod App before it. I've no idea why they not only removed some features but crippled others and felt the need to change the entire UI experience for the iPad. To me it should be the "flagship"...with more, not less features!

There's a lot of publicity about folk's discontent with the new iPad Music App in the public domain so hopefully Apple will get the message and make it right. They've had missteps before and course-corrected. Fingers crossed.

Miata GT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I personally prefer not to have to go back to my album song list after clicking a song.

carl 11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I find using the Music App a little more comfortable (comforting?) by tapping the tiny album art icon in the playback bar. It brings up the old, familiar full-album playback...album art first, then tap that and the controls are exposed. Better, but still not great.

FWIW the Music App is fine on the iPhone and iPod Touch, basically the same as the iPod App before it. I've no idea why they not only removed some features but crippled others and felt the need to change the entire UI experience for the iPad. To me it should be the "flagship"...with more, not less features!

There's a lot of publicity about folk's discontent with the new iPad Music App in the public domain so hopefully Apple will get the message and make it right. They've had missteps before and course-corrected. Fingers crossed.

thx Rich, saw your other posts on this in another thread.

I really miss the 30 second rewind feature, I have a long commute and I use it frequently, if I have to take a call etc. or just veg out for a minute, tap- back 30 seconds, tap twice and back a minute....I am flummoxed as to why they would REMOVE functionality???

Oh and ,my cover art? its a mystery to me why I had 90% of covers on my last OS and now, no matter how many times I search or try to import them, I am down to maybe, 30-40% of cover art, and some really popular music, that I know the art is out there, nope,

Last edited:

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thx Rich, saw your other posts on this in another thread.

I really miss the 30 second rewind feature, I have a long commute and I use it frequently, if I have to take a call etc. or just veg out for a minute, tap- back 30 seconds, tap twice and back a minute....I am flummoxed as to why they would REMOVE functionality???

Oh and ,my cover art? its a mystery to me why I had 90% of covers on my last OS and now, no matter how many times I search or try to import them, I am down to maybe, 30-40% of cover art, and some really popular music, that I know the art is out there, nope,
Agreed, a downgrade by any measurement.

I can't remember, did you try deleting and reloading all of your music to get the album art back? I've had to do that before (pre-iOS 5) and it worked for me.

1. Connect your iPad to your computer.
  2. Open iTunes, click on your iPad (left-hand menu).
  3. Perform a backup.
  4. Then under the Music tab uncheck "Sync Music".
  5. Click on the "Apply" or "Sync" button at the bottom of the page. Let it update - this will wipe any music on your iPad (but not your computer of course).
  6. Disconnect your iPad and then reconnect it.
  7. Go back and re-check "Sync Music".
  8. Click on the "Apply" or "Sync" button at the bottom of the page. This could take a while as it will be adding all of your music (or at least the one's you've selected) to your iPad.
See if that doesn't get everything back in place.

carl 11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will try that rich thx, but it may be academic now......I stopped by for a quick update, my music app is frozen, I am in podcasts, but cannot go anywhere else, when I hit any of the selections on the bottom, albums, artists etc. nothing, when I select other- then pick genre or composers it goes no where.....if I have to reset, DL and re-org all of my I-pad stuff again, I will be beyond myself....

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will try that rich thx, but it may be academic now......I stopped by for a quick update, my music app is frozen, I am in podcasts, but cannot go anywhere else, when I hit any of the selections on the bottom, albums, artists etc. nothing, when I select other- then pick genre or composers it goes no where.....if I have to reset, DL and re-org all of my I-pad stuff again, I will be beyond myself....
Do a reset, that should take care of those issues...
  • Reset the iPad: You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake button on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process will take longer than the restart.
You shouldn't have to download, etc.

carl 11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do a reset, that should take care of those issues...
You shouldn't have to download, etc.

oh god , or Rich, thank you...that released it.;)

*sigh*I also just found out elsewhere on the forum, I am out of luck restoring my Ipad 1 to OS4 and any variation there of due to not thinking before hand and having DLed and saved 'shsh blobs' etc etc...I guess I am stuck till they issue a patch.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oh god , or Rich, thank you...that released it.;)

*sigh*I also just found out elsewhere on the forum, I am out of luck restoring my Ipad 1 to OS4 and any variation there of due to not thinking before hand and having DLed and saved 'shsh blobs' etc etc...I guess I am stuck till they issue a patch.
Glad to help! I'm getting along with my iPad's Music App now...used it to casual DJ/play tunes over our Apple TV2 home theater last weekend and it did fine. I do miss a number of the "old" iPod App's features and ease of use though. I hope Apple is listening and updates things soon! This new Music App was definitely developed by someone with a "tin ear" IMHO.

mysteryguy202

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want my old music player back

I like OS5, but the new music player is terrible. I use it primarily for podcasts, but now it doesn't even show what I have payed, and it remived the "get more podcasts" feature, making me have to search on the store every time I want a new episode. Unless there is a subscribe option I am missing, this is just a downgrade. And is there a reason they make the scrubbing slider so bloody small???

Is there a way to go back or a decent app I can replace the default player with?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like OS5, but the new music player is terrible. I use it primarily for podcasts, but now it doesn't even show what I have payed, and it remived the "get more podcasts" feature, making me have to search on the store every time I want a new episode. Unless there is a subscribe option I am missing, this is just a downgrade. And is there a reason they make the scrubbing slider so bloody small???

Is there a way to go back or a decent app I can replace the default player with?
Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the Search box (at the top-left of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

Please take a moment to view the information here to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum:

Forum Rules - Please read
Hacking Rules - Please read
iPad for Beginners
Free iPad User Manuals
Download The Official iPad Forum App

Since there's already a thread discussing this topic, we'll move your post there.

Welcome again and enjoy!

Most reactions