What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any apps that will play wma wmv on iPad without conversion?

jsherk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any apps/plugins that will play wma wmv from iPad browser?

Any apps or plugins that will play .wma audio and .wmv video on an iPad Safari (or other browser) without conversion?

Thanks

Last edited:
OP
J

jsherk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did a google search (but not an app store search) and all the posts I read said that no iPad does not play them and you have to convert.

I then thought maybe there was a jailbroken app that did this, which is why I asked here.

Searching the app store for "wmv", I found "yxplayer2 lite" and "video stream free" as the only two free apps. Installed them both but neither works for what I need...

What I actually need is a an app that will play an a wma audio file attached to a Yahoo Mail email, so maybe what I need is actually some kind of plugin for Safari? Does Safari have any kind of plugin like that (nothing in the app store)?

If not, can I run another browser on a jailbroken iPad that would have that kind of plugin?

Thanks

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jsherk said:
I did a google search (but not an app store search) and all the posts I read said that no iPad does not play them and you have to convert.

I then thought maybe there was a jailbroken app that did this, which is why I asked here.

Searching the app store for "wmv", I found "yxplayer2 lite" and "video stream free" as the only two free apps. Installed them both but neither works for what I need...

What I actually need is a an app that will play an a wma audio file attached to a Yahoo Mail email, so maybe what I need is actually some kind of plugin for Safari? Does Safari have any kind of plugin like that (nothing in the app store)?

If not, can I run another browser on a jailbroken iPad that would have that kind of plugin?

Thanks

Apple does not allow safari to download anything but pictures. If you jailbreak, download "safari download manager" from Cydia. That will download anything. Then you can select what app to open it with.

OP
J

jsherk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok thats what I wanted to know! I figured there would be some kind of jailbroken thingy available!

Thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have had great success with OPlayer HD, which you can get free (a Lite version) at the App Store. I use it all the time to open up those e-mailed videos people send. The Lite version has ads, but if it works...

Marilyn

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
OPlayer works. The lite version is free. To open a file from email just tap and hold on the file (after if finished downloading) and choose Open In. OPlayer will/should be in the list, if it's not the fist option before the list.

OP
J

jsherk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, thanks to both of you for heads up on OPlayer!

I installed it on my iPad 1 16GB wifi, but when I open up an email on Yahoo Mail from Safari, and then tap and hold the attachment, I do not get any thing to popup and ask what I want to open it with... once I release it, it will then just open a new browser window with the black screen of death (a play button with a line thru it)!

Any thoughts or ideas?

EDIT: Would I need to jailbreak and install the Safari Download Manager for this to work?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, wait! It may not work if you are using web-based e-mail. My bad, I thought you were dealing with the iPad's Mail app. Can you get that e-mail you want to view to your Mail app?

You may not have to jailbreak to do downloads. Try getting Atomic or iCabMobile web browsers. They have download capability. Then, after you've downloaded the file, you should then be able to use "Open In" and select OPlayer HD.

Worth a shot...

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ah, well I figured you were using the Mail app. I'll play with the web client and see if I can make it work.

Though it would be easier if you just set up you Yahoo mail account on the iPad. Any reason you're not doing it this way?

OP
J

jsherk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have free Yahoo Mail account, and unless it has changed since I signed up for it (about 8 years ago), the free accounts don't let you use a mail client (if that's the right word).

Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is sometimes possible to do an Open In when previewing files in Safari, but it doesn't look like this will work for music attachments.

If you have to use a browser, the best bet is to get one that supports download. I use Atomic for this, though there are several other options.

To visit the mobile email site in Atomic you need to make sure you are set to the default browser identification under it's settings. This is the cog icon to the left of the URL bar. Then navigate to get to your Yahoo mail as usual. (If you are going to do this a lot, then I recommend you save the bookmark after signing in). When you see the attachment you can tap and hold on it to get a list of options. Choose Download. You can change the name of the song here. That may be necessary. In my trial it ended up named as 'download'. Don't forget the extension.

Now tap on the icon to the right of the search field, a down arrow going into a tray.

When the song finishes downloading, tap on the blue arrow to the right of the song, and choose open in external app. If this does not work, make sure the file name has the right file extension. If it does not choose Change Name or location, change the name and extention then try again.

You should get a list of compatible apps, including OPlayer.

And now you know why I suggest you use the Mail app, if you have that choice. ;)

Last edited:
OP
J

jsherk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just tried Atomic Web Browser Lite, and it does not work with Yahoo Mail. Also I do not see a setting for "default web browser" so I assume that is in the paid version. I think the download manager is in the paid version as well, but if it does not work with yahoo mail in the first place, then there is no point in me buying it!

Anybody using Atomic (paid) with Yahoo Mail?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I did the entire procedure in Atomic and the mobile Yahoo Mail site before I posted it. In fact I did it while writing the post just to make sure it was possible. I don't like the method, it's clumbsy and easy to make mistakes that lead to frustration. But it does work.

However, it does appear that the features needed are only in the full version, as listed in the App Store description. It's been so long since I used the lite version that I'd forgotten the differences.

If you already have GoodReader you may be able to do the same thing by using it's built-in browser. It might even be easier.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have free Yahoo Mail account, and unless it has changed since I signed up for it (about 8 years ago), the free accounts don't let you use a mail client (if that's the right word).

Thanks

Actually the default Yahoo Mail account set up on the iPad works just fine with free accounts. Mine is free.

Go into Settings >> Mail, Contacts, Calendars, and Choose Add Account. Select the Yahoo account option and enter your Yahoo ID (email address) and password. Should work like a charm.

Most reactions