What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anti-Virus For ipad, Really Necessary?

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of the advantages of get apple products is that your in a virtual gated community, so I read somewhere, but anyway...

I found some antivirus but it cost like 50 bucks.
VirusBarrier – First Apple iPad Antivirus and Firewall

dont know if it is really necessary as all i use it for is web surfing and emails some apps..

I have 3 laptops that have windows Vista, with no anti virus, no adware, nothing, just used to surf the web and play stocks online, never had a prob., but I dont install anything on them nor DL anything; but those arnt my main puter (my main pc and LT run windows7 (64 bit on pc)) i have nod32 and adware and a bunch of other small programs to keep it safe.. They never had probs at all..

has anybody got any anti virus for ipad, anything free out there?

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should buy it and let us know how it works out for you.

FrostyFire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of the advantages of get apple products is that your in a virtual gated community, so I read somewhere, but anyway...

I found some antivirus but it cost like 50 bucks.
VirusBarrier – First Apple iPad Antivirus and Firewall

dont know if it is really necessary as all i use it for is web surfing and emails some apps..

I have 3 laptops that have windows Vista, with no anti virus, no adware, nothing, just used to surf the web and play stocks online, never had a prob., but I dont install anything on them nor DL anything; but those arnt my main puter (my main pc and LT run windows7 (64 bit on pc)) i have nod32 and adware and a bunch of other small programs to keep it safe.. They never had probs at all..

has anybody got any anti virus for ipad, anything free out there?

I don't know what's worse, considering an anti-virus product on a closed platform or not having one on Windows Vista. Either way, this is a face palm moment.

doublefacepalm.jpg

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think the first part of that article will answer your question

As you already know iPad runs the same OS as iPhones and only few jailbroken iPhones have been affected by malware till date.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A closed platform does not protect you 100% from viruses, trojans, identity theft, etc.. It helps a lot, but is no guarantee. When you jailbreak and go outside Apple for apps, you open up a LOT more opportunities to those doing malicious things.

BTW - I haven't had a virus or malware on a PC in over 10 years. A lot of it has to do with common sense.

neocaster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would buy an antivirus solution if I planned on un-closing the platform. Otherwise, I'd leave it to Apple to to certify applications.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BTW - I haven't had a virus or malware on a PC in over 10 years. A lot of it has to do with common sense.
Yep, no Anti-Virus on my computer, and I never have issues. Occasionally I start up and scan with a malware tool but I've never been infected because I'm not a #$%#%ing moron.

OP
Ultrimate

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So basically u guys are saying that i should only worry about getting antivirus only if I jb my iPad?

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So basically u guys are saying that i should only worry about getting antivirus only if I jb my iPad?

At this point, yes. If I start hearing news stories of hacker finding ways in, I might get more worried about it. There are some security concerns I have read about with the iPad, but so far not enough that I would get worried.

FrostyFire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, no Anti-Virus on my computer, and I never have issues. Occasionally I start up and scan with a malware tool but I've never been infected because I'm not a #$%#%ing moron.

There could be ones that you wouldn't even know they were there.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score

There could be ones that you wouldn't even know they were there.
Then they are pointless because they aren't running as processes, slowing down the computer, giving away my information, are doing anything else of consequence.

Moosedude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You know... Anti-Virus software does NOT stop hackers.. If it did, it would be called Anti-Hacker. Any Website can have virus's, ad bots, or any other type of malware. Apple products are NO execption. Want proof: search US-cert .gov for Apple or IPAD, or IPHONE, or I whatever.... One HUGE problem with the large majority of Apple owners is arrogance that their stuff is 100% safe... They are the best targets :-D

Most reactions

Latest posts