What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another Xoom'ers reason to bite the appple

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm DONE! It all boils down to this, "What is the best device I can get today." Flash Release - Who knows, and there must be major problems with it or else it would be here already. I mean five major releases set for spring and Flash a major feature is not ready???

I just want something that will work. They should have ironed out the bugs on their flagship features before release or just don't advertise it.
Display: well the spec s look good but a side by side with the soon-to-be Old Ipad IMO did not get spanked.
Camera: Xoom wins but I rarely use my phone's camera so the Xoom would be a push.
Web: I still like the Xoom but it's barley faster than the 1st gen IPad.
Pinch Zoom: Ipad can't be beaten.
HDMI out: Its a push now that apple has an HDMI adapter. Well how about HDMI is not built in. This is not an issue for me I can't see myself using this feature anyway.
Speed: The iOS is optimized and they control their apps IMO this is a plus +++ as I know apps will work.

My biggest concern was will the Xoom slow down under load, Will the battery hold up once I have fifty apps are installed? If I have five web pages and Gmail running in the background will my interface experience be..."Dang I need an app to close all open apps cause this thing is slowing down". I went through this with my old phone Samsung Moment I don't want to do it again. Constant App Updates is a Real Pain and "Not Christmas every day" as it has been said.

Why should I pay premium hard earned $$$ to do their work? To do their testing?
Size, Size, Size, you may disregard this minor detail of an ounce or two. But give the Xoom and month or so and you will understand that size does matter. Soon you will be leaving the Xoom at home because it is to heavy. I mean that's why I wanted an alternative to a laptop SIZE!

Why fight it when I know the second release will be much better. Why pay for it as in "May I have another" No!.
I've found alternatives to the flash issue on Ipad, I found alternatives to google maps on Ipad. These are current, already tested application, that are working & optimized apps now. That fact has erased all of the differentiators of the Andoid OS vs iOS 1 battle for 2011.

I tired, I really tired day and sleepless night. Visit after visit to Verizon and Best Buy pocking, testing, trying and comparing. Face it the iOS is smoother, developed and proven. All new apps are first written for the Ipad than later Android. for example ...quote from the Engadget review:
"It might frustrate the competition to hear this, but it needs to be said: the iPad 2 isn't just the best tablet on the market, it feels like the only tablet on the market. As much as we'd like to say that something like the Xoom has threatened Apple's presence in this space, it's difficult (if not impossible) to do that."

I love the EVO and my wife's shift is wonderfull, but these are 2nd gen devices.

So a couple of years from now Android will be king in quality and features.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm trying to understand why after what I thought was a pretty decent post you ended it by saying Android will be king in a couple of years? This may or may not be true, it just kind of surprised me.

I've had a Droid now for a bout a year and a half and I'm quite honestly so annoyed at the Android Fanboyz for putting down Apple all the time I think I'll try an iPhone 5 when it comes around in September. Oh they talk about customization, "freedom" in the Market (which was just hit with a huge malware attack) but I've never been into all that stuff that much and IMHO their Custom ROM's for their phones are full of bugs. I can only imagine what will happen when they start installing those things in tablets.

keyblade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I seriously debated getting a Xoom, and *kind of* still am. Like Hookbill, I've been a Droid user for over a year now. I don't find much issue with the bugs in the ROMs I run, so that isn't necessarily my issue. I quite appreciate a lot of the extra features that the ROMs give us, but yes, I have run in to critical bugs in ROMs. I just switch back to one I know is reliable. This was initially a plus for me for the Xoom (additionally its been overclocked to 1.5 ghz already). I figured that I could probably get my fix of this if I ever decided to jailbreak the iPad 2 (when iOS 4.3 is substantially jailbroken).

My issue is the Xoom's size and weight for the most part. Its rather uncomfortable to use after a bit of time. Head to head, the screen for the Xoom has a higher resolution but the brightness and clarity seems to be duller than the original iPad's IPS display. When I was playing with my cousin's, I tried to load it up as much as I could to see how it handled a lot of applications. Browser with a bunch of tabs, running Fruit Ninja HD, Movie Editor, Gallery, Gmail, Light Grid Live Wallpaper, and it didn't stutter. I did run in to a bunch of Force Closes in Facebook, since it isn't really made for Honeycomb yet.

The iPad 2 for me just seems to be more polished, the App Store is already mature. For me, it has a lot of medical applications that will be useful. Google Body is quite wonderful, but the content isn't there on the Android Market. Its thin and light, something that the Xoom clearly isn't. I'd rather root my friend's Archos 70 than get a Xoom, at least his is comfortable to hold and read notes/powerpoints/PDFs on. Granted, I haven't tried an iPad 2 -- going to Best Buy and Verizon through the week I've had the chance to put the iPad 1 and Xoom head to head and the iPad 1 seems nicer, so the iPad 2 will be even better, I believe.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At least you wouldn't have to worry about loading

more than fifty apps into the Zoom as that is the total they have available vs what, 350,000 for the iPad?

And size is certainly the issue, is it not? I already have a laptop that is fragile, bulky, etc and get's left at home when my iPad fits in a large coat pocket. Sort of like my camera gear. That which takes the memorable image is that which is with you. It makes no difference how many lenses and DSLRs you have at home on the shelf if the little point and shoot is in your hand at the right moment.

OP
zipur

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm trying to understand why after what I thought was a pretty decent post you ended it by saying Android will be king in a couple of years? This may or may not be true, it just kind of surprised me.

Because I believe in two years the inertia of so many versions of Android being introduced every couple of months will produce market share. With market share comes better apps and features. I remember the commercial and I believe Android may do the same to Apple, in my genes I guess I'm cheering for the small guy. or maybe not.
However this is my first apple product so by next year I may have MBA, MBP, IPod and a Nano. We are just Blessed to have choices.

YouTube - 1984 Mac Commercial Remake - Choice [HD]

Last edited:

Davebarrie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even if the marketshare favors android, you yourself have attested that there is a dire quality difference in software. Customers who are not confident in the quality of the applications for sale will not drop the same cash that iOS users do, because iOS users know it will work, and won't be beta testing anything. Apple's got your back

It's not android vs iOS, it's AppStore vs market, and it's no contest

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I've had a Droid now for a bout a year and a half and I'm quite honestly so annoyed at the Android Fanboyz for putting down Apple all the time I think I'll try an iPhone 5 when it comes around in September. Oh they talk about customization, "freedom" in the Market (which was just hit with a huge malware attack) but I've never been into all that stuff that much and IMHO their Custom ROM's for their phones are full of bugs. I can only imagine what will happen when they start installing those things in tablets.

I must admit even as a moderator in the Droid forum I was blown away by the variations of Android phones not to mention the customisation of the phones. I am totally open minded regard all this but it seems to me the whole objective is to break the phone or tab to make it better. What I cannot understand is why? I mean why not live with what is offered or is it the product you buy does not meet customers expectations... For me I have no reason to move away from Apple not because I have been both a user since 1977 and reseller for so many years I forgot to count but because the All the products just work, and deliver what customers want. Further more they all work together sharing apps with out confusion of different interfaces etc. If some one buys an iPod touch they can pick up an iPhone or an iPad regardless of model and understand how to use it. The best part of all is cost of ownership. It is not about what you buy the product for it is how much it costs to own and the iOS devices have the lowest cost of ownership I know.

Last edited:

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was just reading an article that said that Android now has the most market share in the US for smart phones. It took a few years, but it happened! I think the same will happen for tablets in a few years.

Once the market share is so big (as it is now), developers will follow. I would think (not sure) that developers have more freedom when writing apps for Android as well...

lawhawk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought about getting a Xoom too; I have a Droid and I love it. In fact I have owned exactly zero Apple products since 1999. But I am SO SICK of reading about apps that are only on iOS and not on Android. There are so many! There are good apps on Android and if the only alternatives were Blackberry and Windows Mobile, Android would be the greatest thing ever. Nope, I'm getting an iPad 2.

Also, this is going to be my test ground for deciding whether I want to switch to a 4G Android phone or get a Verizon iPhone 5.

madsquabbles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It doesn't Matter because android apps don't sell and iPhone apps do
while true now, if the android tablets to take over more share, then this will become a false statement.

the to biggest advantages that i see that android has over ios is the openness (which some would see as a negative) and the variety. with ipad you are limited with you flavor of phone/tablet. with android you can choose to drop under $100 for a throw away tablet if that's your choice. or you can put in some serious money for a high end tablet.

i don't consider myself a fanboy for either device, i'm more for quality/performance. i love apple's apps but i love android's tweakablitly, so i have 3 tablets - ipad, archos 101, and the nook color. each one serves it's purpose well. the ipad is a gaming/general use tablet. the archos is my multimedia tablet and the nook (even after rooting) is my ebook reader. i did own a galaxy tablet, gtablet, sylvania tablet, and an archos 70. i'd love ot have a xoom but i'm not seeing where it'll find any usage with the tablets i already have. i'll probably end up buying at least one more ipad, by then android may have some really good pads out.

Davebarrie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Selling power attracts developers, makes apps, increases selling power. Android is not going to win this one. Btw how many tablet apps they got now?

Reaction score
Xoom was never an option for me. I don't care what OS it has, it's a Moto product.
I did consider other Android based because I like my Droid Incredible and have never been a big Apple fan but one thing I've found out is I whatever equipment works. No build quality issues, no battery build quality issues, no physical build quality issues.
Side by side the apps are more well done. I don't feel like I'm the R&D department of a manufacturer after I bought my ipad. There are things I like better about android, there are things I like better about Windows but when I make a purchase I want it to work, work well, work long without constant maintenance.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved.

Most reactions

Latest posts