What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An iPad stylus

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently purchased a stylus for my iPad2. I shopped around and finally decided on a Touchtech. The pen has a retractable ball-point at one end and the stylus at the other. The big, fat tip bothered me a bit (I used to use a Newton, which has a much more delicate and precise stylus!) and so I wrote to the company to find out why it had to be so obese.

Jerry Leto at Touchtech responded right away. I now have a much better understanding of the screen technology and thought I would share his response with you, with his permission of course. I found it very informative.

Being new to capacitive touch technology and all of its wonders, and shortcoming, can be tough at first. You hit it dead on with the statement that it is a function of the technology. Oh, the Newton. Lots of great features to that product, I must say. Here is the nuts and bolts of iPads, etc. (Multi-Touch Capacitive Touch Screens). They work by capacitively coupling to the human body, are designed for interaction with fingers and have a very specific range of size they detect. If you are curious, you can Google search Brian Huppi, the guy who designed the tech for Apple. He is actually an associate of mine. In other words, if they were to detect a small area, such as a pen nib (1mm), when you press your finger to the screen it would detect a multi-touch and it would confuse the software. Generally speaking, it is about 4.5mm and anything smaller, or larger than say 6.5mm, wont trigger or drive the device. The reason for the squishy, is that if you hold the device to eye level and slowly press your finger to the screen, you will see a depression left in your skin of approximately 4.5mm. Harder materials or anything that will not quickly conform to the 4.5mm diameter circle, have issues operating/driving the devices. Those tips I designed are to depress as easily as your skin would so you get a very fast and accurate response from the screen. I also designed a coating for the tips to more closely replicate the drag of the human finger on the screen. Many styli actually have a very high drag or chatter and people really hate that, me included. You also have to push really hard to make them work, and I tried to engineer the TT II pen to work around those common complaints from consumers. I am not sure if this answers some of the questions you have, but if you have anything else you would like to know about the tech, please call or email me. I have no problem answering your questions to the best of my ability.

I have nothing whatsoever to do with Touchtech and have never met Mr. Leto, but I was impressed by this outfit's commitment to customer satisfaction. (Elsewhere in his message he mentioned that if I was dissatisfied in any way with it he would refund my money immediately.) I really like companies that go the extra mile for their customers.

Here's the company's website... Touchtech - Home

And here's where I bought mine... Amazon.com: touchtec pen

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great to read that very full and clear explanation. It will be useful when other Members ask about the touch screen technology.

Thanks for posting it.

Tim

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, that video was great! So many new things coming, very sci fi.

sent with love from my iPad on IPF

raven_blackhart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great info! I'm currently waiting patiently for the wacom stylus to turn up on ozzie shores *annoyed much*. In the mean time, I've got a great targus 2-in-1, works like a beauty, with a stylus on one end and a capped ball point on the other. Stylish and sleek, fits right with all my fountain pens. Only annoying thing is when used as a pen, u have to make sure u don't wind up loosing the cap coz it doesn't fit on the stylus end.

mtealo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been using the AluPen stylus for the last month over all my other styluses. If you want to see my review just search for AluPen review on you tube under my name mtealo.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have been using the AluPen stylus for the last month over all my other styluses. If you want to see my review just search for AluPen review on you tube under my name mtealo.

I too use the Just Mobile Alupen but have been waiting for the Wacom Bamboo in order to compare the two.

mjtyler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
raven_blackhart said:
Great info! I'm currently waiting patiently for the wacom stylus to turn up on ozzie shores *annoyed much*. In the mean time, I've got a great targus 2-in-1, works like a beauty, with a stylus on one end and a capped ball point on the other. Stylish and sleek, fits right with all my fountain pens. Only annoying thing is when used as a pen, u have to make sure u don't wind up loosing the cap coz it doesn't fit on the stylus end.

Hi, if you need a really responsive stylus while you're waiting for the waucom I purchased a Kensington and it's really brilliant. Smooth, direct and very nice to use

mtealo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
info said:
I too use the Just Mobile Alupen but have been waiting for the Wacom Bamboo in order to compare the two.

Had a good review in iPad magazine so let us know how you feel about it compared to AluPen o.k.

hmark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Stylus for IPAD

Does that stylus work well or not for writing text on the IPAD? I've been waiting for something to come out to enable taking notes during meetings, etc.
tx, hmark

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hate to say it, folks, but I've just about come to a couple of conclusions after trying about half a dozen styluses and reading literally hundreds of posts about various brands.

() There are simply too many individual preferences to reach a conclusion about the "best" stylus. What seems ideal to one user is unusable for another.

() The basic problem lies with the capacitive touch screen on the iPad, not with various styluses. It is simply not a well designed medium for detailed work. If you want something that feels like writing with a pen and paper you're going to have to wait for technology to catch up with...a pen and paper.

Bottom line. Buy a stylus. Doesn't much matter which one though the cheapest are probably not quite as good as the most expensive. Then practice, practice, practice. That's how you get to Carnegie Hall and it's how you become proficient with a stylus on an iPad. Just don't expect perfection. The iPad screen won't provide it.

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
hmark said:
Does that stylus work well or not for writing text on the IPAD? I've been waiting for something to come out to enable taking notes during meetings, etc.
tx, hmark

I've just bought an Acase stylus from Amazon mainly for using to write notes and scribble over PDFs in Note Taker HD. I think the advise to practice is good...i've filled a couple of A4 sheets of rambling notes just to try and make my hand writing look in some way legible and it is getting better with practice. It is definitely easier and neater than using my finger to write, but is a long way from looking as neat as my pen and paper notes.

grimbarian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Brilliant. I now understand why my Acare stylus with a squishy tip works perfectly while another unknown make with a harder tip was completely useless.

Jrs22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the ifaraday stylus after reading about it here. My original rubber tipped stylus has since been relegated to the drawer. I use it with Notetaker HD, which provides for writing "large and loose" in a detail box. The writing is then shrunk down to normal size and is quite neat and legible. When I first got my IPad I missed the digitizer on my Palm PDA. But no more. On the Palm I had to print, but now I can write in cursive, which is so much faster.

Jrs22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thats a good question. you can use the same notetaker hd software with your finger. i just found the stylus more comfortable for longer periods of time, and when im using the ipad im sitting down, so its not inconvenient. ymmv.

Most reactions

Latest posts