What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amazon Withdraws Inaccurate Ad Slamming iPad Mini’s Speakers

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iPad_mini_first_official_pic.JPG

AppleInsider reports today that Amazon has withdrawn a prominently placed advert on the site which unfavourably compared the iPad mini with the Kindle Fire HD. The advert, which was in the form of a comparison chart, said that the iPad mini had a “mono speaker,†whereas the Kindle Fire HD has “dual stereo speakers.†However, iPad mini reviews have started appearing today, ahead of tomorrow’s release date, and it would seem that Amazon got it wrong and the iPad mini does indeed have dual stereo speakers! As AppleInsider notes, this is in fact a big upgrade from all previous iPad models, including the newly announced fourth-gen iPad, all of which have had a single speaker. The Verge review even says that the iPad mini speakers are “good-soundingâ€. This all comes as a bit of a surprise, not just to Amazon, but to all of us, because Apple didn’t really mention the iPad mini’s speakers at launch, unlike Amazon when it launched the Kindle Fire HD and made a point of mentioning its stereo speakers. The official Apple website even only referred to the iPad mini’s “built-in speaker,†singular. But now we know there are two, and they sound good, apparently!

Source: Amazon pulls anti-iPad mini ad with incorrect claim about stereo speakers

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Two speakers about, what, 2 to 3 inches apart, is called stereo? Having two speakers really qualify as stereo sound if you can't get any seperation.

The fact is, tablets needs to quite trying to convince people they product good sound. The best they can do is produce enough sound to be heard. The smart user plugs in some headphones, anyhow.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Two speakers about, what, 2 to 3 inches apart, is called stereo? Having two speakers really qualify as stereo sound if you can't get any seperation.

The fact is, tablets needs to quite trying to convince people they product good sound. The best they can do is produce enough sound to be heard. The smart user plugs in some headphones, anyhow.

I'd be happy with slightly louder speakers. I don't like to wear headphones or earbuds if I can avoid them, and sometimes iPad sound is just a hair too low when I'm watching a movie, and I don't want to be bothered with pairing a BT speaker just to watch for short spurts. I find my Kindle Fire original has louder sound than my iPad 1 or 2, in a smaller package, and my iPhone 4S is the loudest of the bunch.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:

I kind of agree with that although if you can have the speakers firing the sound in opposite directions you should get enough separation out of it to call it stereo.....the problem with a tablet in his instance is that they are designed to be used in multiple orientations.....so even if they could fire in opposite directions then it may be up and down!! Of course some clever guy could figure out a way to put four speakers in a tablet and have the gyroscope determine which should be used for any given orientation......but is it really worth it?

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts