What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alternative Video Player Needed

pacemaker1000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i am looking for another video player for my iPad3 for two reasons

1. to play more formats
2. to be able to zoom in on 2.35 videos without going full screen like the built in player. i find the normal screen too small but full screen cuts out too much

i tried 'Playable' free version and while it appears to do the above its playback is jerky

i intend to try 'Goodplayer' but would appreciate knowing in advance if it does these features or any other suitable player

Thanks

OP
P

pacemaker1000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Doh, how did i miss that!

doing some research now on AVPlayerHD but cant find anything on increasing video size incrementally by zooming NOT changing the resolution

Just tried the free OPlayerHD and that too stutters with a test vidio which is perfect with the iPad built in player. no zooming either just selection of 1:1, 16:9 4:3 which puts picture out of resolution on th iPad

Last edited:
OP
P

pacemaker1000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bit the bullet and bought AVPlayerHD and WOW!
playback is flawless on test video and it has a few zoom options the last of which will expand stuff just enough to make it bigger and more enjoyable while not distorting the picture

A+++++ App

Kruskal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Love it if you could LIST the AVPlayerHD zoom options.

Thanks -- Vincent

OP
P

pacemaker1000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Love it if you could LIST the AVPlayerHD zoom options.

Thanks -- Vincent

when a video is playing you can toggle through the various modes which i assume are the same as in settings which are:
auto
16:9
4:3
1:1
2.54:1

setting it to 4:3 works well for me as 2.35 material is bigger(not full screen) yet doesn't crop too much off the sides, it is a pity the built in player only gives you original or full screen.
i assume this tells the player the screen is 4:3?
i am a bit of a purist, having a dedicated cinema room with a projector, and this goes against the grain but i believe in original format it really is too small to enjoy.

Last edited:

Temp26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's playing

i am looking for another video player for my iPad3 for two reasons

1. to play more formats
2. to be able to zoom in on 2.35 videos without going full screen like the built in player. i find the normal screen too small but full screen cuts out too much

i tried 'Playable' free version and while it appears to do the above its playback is jerky

i intend to try 'Goodplayer' but would appreciate knowing in advance if it does these features or any other suitable player

Thanks

Hi. Try it's playing. There is pinch zoom, detailed picture and sound control, the works.

No outside links please

Last edited by a moderator:

Kruskal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. Try it's playing. There is pinch zoom, detailed picture and sound control, the works.

No outside links please
What player are you talking about here? The powers that be removed your link, so we don't know.

BTW just why are outside links not permitted?

Vincent

Last edited:

AllenSalar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
7. Do not promote your websites, domains, company, or services in any of the discussion forums. This includes starting a thread, replying to a post, or putting it in your signature. If a member is seeking assistance or looking for a certain type of product, the best way to offer your services is to send a PM. The only way people are allowed to advertise on this site is if they are paying to do so. The forum owners are the only ones able to make this decision.

13.2. If you
are the developer, owner or are otherwise affiliated with the product or service, web site, etc., you may not post links per rule #7.

​I think that's why...

I also noticed that his username is the same name as the application he just suggested...

Last edited:

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AllenSalar said:
7. Do not promote your websites, domains, company, or services in any of the discussion forums. This includes starting a thread, replying to a post, or putting it in your signature. If a member is seeking assistance or looking for a certain type of product, the best way to offer your services is to send a PM. The only way people are allowed to advertise on this site is if they are paying to do so. The forum owners are the only ones able to make this decision.

13.2. If you are the developer, owner or are otherwise affiliated with the product or service, web site, etc., you may not post links per rule #7.

​I think that's why...

I also noticed that his username is the same name as the application he just suggested...

That is exactly right, AllenSalar! Thank you for sharing your insight.

Matt

Most reactions