What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AirPrint On iOS From ANY PRINTER (No Special Printer Needed)

PhilSynowiec

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3Jf_NCbKG8[/ame]​

This video will show you how to AirPrint, print some thing from your iOS device to a wireless printer, without the need of a wireless printer. You can use any printer you have hooked up to your Mac. If you have an iMac that is hooked up to a printer 24/7, even better.

Printopia is a Mac App that will act as a middle man toward your printer. Instead of contacting your printer directly from your device when you press "print", you device contacts your Mac and then your Mac informs your printer of what is needed to be printed. While on your Mac you don't see anything running, Printopia is doing its thing in the background. Just install, plug in your printer, and you're set.

Download the trial and try for yourself:
Printopia - AirPrint to any Printer - Print from iPad - Print from iPhone - Ecamm Network

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What makes Printopia better than all those other print apps on the market right now. You need to have your computer on so it can work, isn't that what we want to avoid?

Then your picture isn't centered in the sheet, how do you control that? It looks ridiculous that way. The HP ePrint printers do the same crummy job without the aid of a computer.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What makes Printopia better than all those other print apps on the market right now. You need to have your computer on so it can work, isn't that what we want to avoid?

Then your picture isn't centered in the sheet, how do you control that? It looks ridiculous that way. The HP ePrint printers do the same crummy job without the aid of a computer.

Tell us how you really feel, Ivan! Sounds like some good information to consider, though.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tell us how you really feel, Ivan! Sounds like some good information to consider, though.

Might be difficult to say thing politely. What I feel is that Apple is giving us the runaround with this printing hoopla. It's difficult to believe that the Laserwriter is what got them away from the brink of extinction at one point. They used to make fine printers that could deliver precise output and results. And they expect to see us applaud this joke of a printing driver?

I use PrintMagic HD, Print and the Brother printing app. And I still can't get good control over results.

johanwhite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Printopia is an awesome middle ware. Because we do not need to connect printer to the computer and we can print from our iOS device on wireless printer. But we should have MAC. I want to get this software. How can I get it? Please provide me the link.

IPad-Fan-64

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for double posting can't edit the above post it's also asking me to input username of kodak printer I am using and a password what would that be?

Computer username & password or something else?

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ivan I don't think they are deliberately giving us the run around, more likely they have stumbled over copyright problems with drivers.
With all the legal crap going on in the mobile computing world Apple have been forced to double their legal team over the last year......

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ivan I don't think they are deliberately giving us the run around, more likely they have stumbled over copyright problems with drivers.
With all the legal crap going on in the mobile computing world Apple have been forced to double their legal team over the last year......

It may be but why are drivers available for Macs? I would gladly settle for a basic, generic printer driver with fewer features that would run on any printer. I want the iPad to do a printing job with a minimum of control. You can't even print a simple banking statement as it is...

dj r

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded printopia. the free demo works instantly.

it's 9.99 to purchase.

my imac is plugged into my printer.
the imac is on the same wifi network as my ipad.

i don't know if I'll purchase the app or upgrade my printer to wireless. my imac is OFF 95% of the time. and I wanted to upgrade my printer anyhow. hmmm.

thx to everyone for sharing their info thus far.

Most reactions

Latest posts