What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Airport express for all?

UbuFamily

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello forum buddies, a simple question here. If i buy the airport express hotspot, can other non-apple devices share the internet connection??

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, it uses all the normal standards. It's a bit limited in features, but that's the price of having such a small and convenient package.

OP
UbuFamily

UbuFamily

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Yes, it uses all the normal standards. It's a bit limited in features, but that's the price of having such a small and convenient package.

Thanks for the info, but what do you mean by limited in features?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Nothing that most users would care about.

A router with external antennas will (usually) have better range. If you need to cover a large house and yard, the AirPort Express might not quite do the job. The more expensive routers will have more management features for tracking and controlling access to the network.

If you need to set up a small private network, the AirPort Express will do an admirable job. And Apple provides an AirPort Utility app that will let you set it up from your iPad or iPhone. That's handy.

OP
UbuFamily

UbuFamily

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Nothing that most users would care about.

A router with external antennas will (usually) have better range. If you need to cover a large house and yard, the AirPort Express might not quite do the job. The more expensive routers will have more management features for tracking and controlling access to the network.

If you need to set up a small private network, the AirPort Express will do an admirable job. And Apple provides an AirPort Utility app that will let you set it up from your iPad or iPhone. That's handy.

Thanks twerppoet!! Now I really should grab one of it!!

Mr.Tibbs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also remember that if you use an Airport Express it will NOT support a usb hard drive, like the Extreme will. It only supports a printer I believe. (I am referring to the usb port on the back. This is another of the limited features.)

OP
UbuFamily

UbuFamily

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mr.Tibbs said:
Also remember that if you use an Airport Express it will NOT support a usb hard drive, like the Extreme will. It only supports a printer I believe. (I am referring to the usb port on the back. This is another of the limited features.)

Okay, as long as I can plug my direct line cable, then it's fine. Lol I forgot what is the cable name

OP
UbuFamily

UbuFamily

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh ya, another question, I always turn my cellular 3G on & off, and I happened to find it tiring to frequently go to the settings to switch it on & off. Are there any short cut to put the button outside the home screen? I mean, just a single tap and the cellular Internet turns on and vice versa..you get what I meant? For example, similar like that android home apps..

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are several apps that can create shortcuts to certain features and apps. Thy use special bookmarks with a website to create them. I'm not sure if they will take you straight to a page in Settings. Search for shortcuts in the App Store.

Otherwise you are left with jailbreaking; which is not yet available for iOS 6. If you are not familiar with it you can read about it in the Hacking section; the sticky notes at the top.

OP
UbuFamily

UbuFamily

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
There are several apps that can create shortcuts to certain features and apps. Thy use special bookmarks with a website to create them. I'm not sure if they will take you straight to a page in Settings. Search for shortcuts in the App Store.

Otherwise you are left with jailbreaking; which is not yet available for iOS 6. If you are not familiar with it you can read about it in the Hacking section; the sticky notes at the top.

Alright, fully understood!

iDuffer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe the 'special bookmarks' approach was disabled by Apple in the IOS 5.1 update. Grumble...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The settings shortcuts? You're probably right. I did not see any apps that said they would do that, though I do remember there being some at one point. The current apps mostly talk about contacts, FaceTime, phone calls, and such.

Last edited:
OP
UbuFamily

UbuFamily

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
The settings shortcuts? You're probably right. I did not see any apps that said they would do that, though I do remember there being some at one point. The current apps mostly talk about contacts, FaceTime, phone calls, and such.

I need an apps that when pressed once immediately turn on the Internet. Be it cellular or wifi. Simple at a single tab. So I don't have to go through settings then cellular then to the activation.

Most reactions

Latest posts