What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Airplay icon missing

Julesgun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My airplay icon is not showing up on any of my apps. I've tried fixes I've read about, changing the language setting, powering down, making sure my iTunes and iPad are updated...nothing is working. Anyone have a suggestion?

Reaction score
AirPlay is not yet so straight forward as it is advertised, as sometimes it can just stop working, while giving the user no information as to why that is.

Anyway, you should update your Airport Express and if that doesn't help, reset it. In the end most of these problems tend to be network related, rather then caused by the iPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A soft reset might not be out of order either, if the network resets don't work.

Hold down the power and home button until the Apple logo appears, about 10 to 15 seconds. Let go and wait for it to reboot. This will take a few minutes, so be patient.

OP
J

Julesgun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have airport express. I have ATV2. I will try the reset suggested (power button, etc) and see if that works. Thank you for the suggestions.

digitalbits6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also have an iPad1 and new Apple TV 2nd gen. I'm trying to test playing back video clips from the iPad to the AppleTV. But the AirPlay icon doesn't show up on any of the iOS 4.3 applications on my iPad or iPhone4. Both iPad1 and iPhone4 were upgraded to iOS 4.3 last week. The AppleTV was upgraded today. Wireless is via an Apple Extreme N router.

After several reboots of each and making sure that all devices are on the same wireless network, I'm baffled as to why the AirPlay icon won't show up on the iPad or iPhone4. Any ideas?

digitalbits6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AirPlay icon working now. Turns out, my Apple Extreme N-Router has both a guest network and a private wireless network. My iPad automatically connected to the guest network (which doesn't allow sharing to other devices). I normally have it connected to the private wireless net. So, now the iPad can see the AppleTV. I made sure all my devices: iPad, iPhone4 and AppleTV were all on the private wireless network. Now, all devices can share to the AppleTV over wirless. I can use AirPlay to share photos, videos and iTunes music sharing works too.

Bklyn60

iPF Noob
Reaction score
digitalbits6: I have the same problem, which AppleCare and the store genius could not solve. How did you "connect" your iPad and iPhone to the priivate wireless net on your Airport Extreme? Did you go through the Airport Extreme Utility on your Mac?

wahya

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem , my devices are in the same network and there is not the airplay logo anywhere, I was watching avatar from my iPhone connected To the apple tv and next day when I wanted to finish the movie , the icon was not there, please some one knows something about it?

SPinder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My airplay icon was restored by powering off my router & ATV2 then powering up in reverse order.

simonr22322

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just had the same problem - iphone working for 30secs and then Zepplin losing signal. And - one of our iphones worked (no problems at all) and another didn't. Well - at the back of my wifi router there was a tiny aerial - and it was in the collapsed position - I put it up - and all working fine. Hope that helps.

Most reactions

Latest posts