What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Airplay Error Message

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am testing my new Appletv on my iPad1 with iOS 5 using Airplay and have an intermittent problem, getting the message: "Airplay speaker not available. The speaker 'AppleTV' is currently being used by someone else."

This happens on an occasional basis on the native apps as well as on third party ones, seemingly never on still photos.

Can anyone help? I did the search, but maybe not with the right key words.

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Solved my own prroblem!

Thought I would post the solution just in case it indeed hasn't been discussed elsewhere: There is a conflict between Airplay and Bluetooth. You have to turn off the latter when streaming video.

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Heaviside said:
Solved my own prroblem!

Thought I would post the solution just in case it indeed hasn't been discussed elsewhere: There is a conflict between Airplay and Bluetooth. You have to turn off the latter when streaming video.

Well, uhhhhhh---I spoke too soon. Merely a lull in the intermittent problem!

Can anyone help?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only time I've gotten that message is when I had been streaming content from my iMac to the Apple TV2 and then tried to use my iPad. Once I "disconnected" my iMac from the Apple TV2 (by switching from the ATV to Computer setting) I was able to use my iPad and the ATV no problem.

So it sounds like a conflict issue. If all else fails, try restarting your ATV (unplug it for a few minutes and plug it back in) and resetting your iPad.
  • Reset the iPad: You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake button on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process takes a few minutes and then the iPad should be responsive again.
If that doesn't work there may be a hardware problem (likely with the ATV) so I'd contact Apple. They have first-class customer assistance and should be able to get things sorted out.

Apple - Support - iPad - Contact Support

Apple - Support - Contact Support

Contacting Apple for support and service

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes!

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
richsadams said:
The only time I've gotten that message is when I had been streaming content from my iMac to the Apple TV2 and then tried to use my iPad. Once I "disconnected" my iMac from the Apple TV2 (by switching from the ATV to Computer setting) I was able to use my iPad and the ATV no problem.

So it sounds like a conflict issue. If all else fails, try restarting your ATV (unplug it for a few minutes and plug it back in) and resetting your iPad.

[*]Reset the iPad: You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake button on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process takes a few minutes and then the iPad should be responsive again.
If that doesn't work there may be a hardware problem (likely with the ATV) so I'd contact Apple. They have first-class customer assistance and should be able to get things sorted out.

Apple - Support - iPad - Contact Support

Apple - Support - Contact Support

Contacting Apple for support and service

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes!

Thanks for the links Rich.

I chatted with a nice guy at Apple Support and he solved the problem pretty quickly. I had to update the Appletv firmware to support iOS 5.

Friendly, efficient, courteous, and knowledgeable support! Five star rating.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the links Rich.

I chatted with a nice guy at Apple Support and he solved the problem pretty quickly. I had to update the Appletv firmware to support iOS 5.

Friendly, efficient, courteous, and knowledgeable support! Five star rating.
Ah, good deal. I just updated my ATV2 to v4.4.2...works great! Thanks for the follow up and enjoy!

mazornus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ahh thanks for this, was having the problem too. Im nearly always ignoring updates.

Most reactions

Latest posts