What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Keyboard doesn’t pop up

queencarmelita

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sometimes my keyboard does not pop up on the screen when using my iPad Air 4. At first I thought it was because I was using DuckDuckGo but that wasn’t it, I’ve narrowed it down to it’s when I follow a link. If I follow a link from my email or a link on a YouTube video somewhere when I follow a link I can’t get the keyboard to pop up when I went to put in my information to order something or put in a coupon code, no keyboard. It’s just the virtual keyboard on the iPad, I don’t have an external Bluetooth keyboard and never have had one.

OP
queencarmelita

queencarmelita

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone? Still can’t figure it out. Just filled out a survey and can’t write comments because keyboard won’t appear.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Does the cursor appear in the text field when you tap it?

Check Settings > General > Keyboards and see which keyboards you have enabled. Unless you have a special situation you should probably have English with a sub type of QWERTY.

You can also try going to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPad > Rest > Reset All Settings. This won't delete any apps, files, or change your account settings. You will have to tweak a lot of the system settings and some of Apple's native apps back to your preferences.

Be careful not to select anything other than Reset All Settings. You can wipe your iPad in this area, though it should give you lots of warnings before doing so.

Can't think of anything else.

OP
queencarmelita

queencarmelita

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does the cursor appear in the text field when you tap it?

Check Settings > General > Keyboards and see which keyboards you have enabled. Unless you have a special situation you should probably have English with a sub type of QWERTY.

You can also try going to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPad > Rest > Reset All Settings. This won't delete any apps, files, or change your account settings. You will have to tweak a lot of the system settings and some of Apple's native apps back to your preferences.

Be careful not to select anything other than Reset All Settings. You can wipe your iPad in this area, though it should give you lots of warnings before doing so.

Can't think of anything else.
Yes, the cursor appears. When I click the only thing that appears is “scan text “. I thought that was pretty cool when we got it in the last update but now I’m thinking maybe that’s the problem. My keyboard is English US, QWERTY. Tried a few other things that I had heard elsewhere like tapping on it three times to bring up the keyboard and rotating the iPad none of those things worked. I think I’m going to have to try the reset. But first I’m going to look into see if I can get rid of that “scan text” because that might be it because it was fine before the last update.

OP
queencarmelita

queencarmelita

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, the cursor appears. When I click the only thing that appears is “scan text “. I thought that was pretty cool when we got it in the last update but now I’m thinking maybe that’s the problem. My keyboard is English US, QWERTY. Tried a few other things that I had heard elsewhere like tapping on it three times to bring up the keyboard and rotating the iPad none of those things worked. I think I’m going to have to try the reset. But first I’m going to look into see if I can get rid of that “scan text” because that might be it because it was fine before the last update.
I turned off live text and tried an email link to a Sam’s Club survey and I was able to type. I think it worked, thank you very much.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've never seen or heard (other than you) of live text acting this way. I'm glad you found a solution, but am very confused about the origin of the problem.

OP
queencarmelita

queencarmelita

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've never seen or heard (other than you) of live text acting this way. I'm glad you found a solution, but am very confused about the origin of the problem.
I had no clue either but it seems to of worked. My clue was when you asked if anything popped up besides the cursor and it was only that “scan text” so then I googled how to get rid of that and that seems to have done it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Live Text is occasionally nice to have.

Since it always happens in Safari, I'm wondering if you can also stop it by making sure camera access is denied by default in Settings > Safari > Camera. Live Text needs the camera to work. You might also check under Extensions in Safari's settings to make sure there aren't any extensions that might invoke Live Text.

Most reactions