What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Address book app

pandaburns

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, any recommendations for an address book app or should I just use iPad contacts. Mainly for postal addresses that I can refer to for Christmas card lists etc.
Thanks

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I tend to stick with the native contacts app as it syncs between my idevices. Like the layout too.

OP
P

pandaburns

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't suppose you can import from excel in some way?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Don't suppose you can import from excel in some way?

Not directly.

Some computer Address Books and Google's Contacts can import .csv files. Excel can export .csv. This will only work if you're Excel file is formatted correctly. If you just cobbled it together yourself it may not import at all, let alone to the right fields.

(there is a workaround for this using Google, but it's a pain, and would require a lot of editing in Excel)

If the file imports correctly then you have a few choices.

If you used Google, you can sync that Google Account to the iPad; or you can export from Google to the vCard format.

Depending on the Address program on the computer you may be able to sync it with an online service like iCloud or Google, and then sync the iPad to those services as well: or export the addresses in vCard format.

If you export as vCard you can:

Mail it to the iPad and then use Open In… from the Mail app to import it into contacts.

(if you use iCloud) Go to icloud.com on a computer, open the Address Book app, and import the vCard file.

There are probably a few other methods, but that's all I can think of.

Well, other than manually entering all the stuff again. If you are going to do that it might be easier to get the iCloud account (if you don't already have one) open icloud.com in a browser and Excel side by side. Then, lots and lots of copy&paste.

OP
P

pandaburns

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks
I saved excel file as csv. I imported this into outlook. Tidied up the contacts in outlook and then synced my outlook contacts to iPad via itunes. All is good :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Glad it worked for you.

I don't recommend using iTunes for contact syncing over the long run. It is ok for a one time transfer, but if you keep updating the contacts on both sides things don't work as well.

My recommendation is to turn the iTunes contact syncing back off (now that you've got your contacts) and sync with an online service like iCloud or Google. This acts not only as a way to keep your other computes and devices synced, but as a back up in case your iPad looses the contacts. A not unheard of problem.

Google or Yahoo if you already use them.

iCloud if you're starting fresh.

OP
P

pandaburns

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, outlook syncing is now turned off again. Will my contacts on the iPad automatically sync with iCloud or do I have to ask it to do it. I am a serious 1st timer here.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just go to Settings iCloud and turn on Contacts. It may ask you i you want to delete, keep or merge contacts. Do Not Choose delete.

If you already have an iCloud account you are set to go. If you don't already have one it will give you the option to create one. User your current Apple ID, unless you want a new iCloud account with a new email address.

Most reactions

Latest posts