What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding font to iPad 3

Barty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On older iPad, I could add my own font to the iPad by editing

System/Library/Font/CGFontCache.plist

and adding the font files to

System/Library/Font/Cache

With the iPad 3, there isn't a CGFontCache.plist but a bunch of CGFontCache???.plist files. Not sure what to do here.

Has anyone done this and has some pointers for me? thanks.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
For me, the easiest thing was to go to Cydia and install the free BytaFont tweak. There are 100s of fonts available for download and you use BytaFont to make the changes.

I say all that because (1) it's too complicated for me to actually dig into the iPad's innards and change the font and (2) I'm too lazy to do the work. :)

Which means: I don't know if the method you talk about will work (thus my recommendation for BytaFont). Hopefully, someone else will come along who can assist and knows more about tweaking the specific .plists.

Marilyn

Edited to add: BTW, I have BytaFont running now on my iPad3 with iOS 5.1.1. Works a treat!

OP
B

Barty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately, bytafont just replaces system font with fonts from bytafont. I want to add my own font and make it available to apps like Stanza or any app that uses html and css, like this

font-family: Amasis;

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, bytafont just replaces system font with fonts from bytafont. I want to add my own font and make it available to apps like Stanza or any app that uses html and css, like this

font-family: Amasis;

Won't be happening like that any time soon I'm afraid! You can include your own fonts in Winterboard themes, but there is no way to substitue a font into other apps via HTML and CSS like that. The only way is using Bytafont AFAIK.

You can create your own Bytafont packages and install them manually on your device. I've never needed to do this myself, but there is some info on the Bytafont site here - Add fonts to your BytaFont library | BytaFont

Hope that helps.

themaddoctor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have succeeded in adding four new font families to my ipad3. There is a program called plutil, which is part of libplist. It converts binary plists to ascii and back again. You can get it from sourceforge.net/projects/gtkpod/files/ I used version 1.8.

iOS doesn't seem to care if the plists are in binary or ascii format, so there is no need to convet them back.

I used OpenSSH with sftp to move the files to my desktop for editing.

Good luck!

judge2005

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How? i.e. what fonts did you add, where did you put them and what plist files did you edit. I'm trying to do the same with an iPhone and having no luck.

themaddoctor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First, it must be jailbroken.
I put the font files into /System/Library/Fonts/Cache/
and edited seven of the plist files in /System/Library/Fonts/
You will need plutil to convert the plist files to xml.
If you contact me by email, I can send you a compiled
copy of plutil and a script that does all the work. I am on
gmail with the name the.mad.doctor.kaeding
I check email every couple of days.

Most reactions

Latest posts