What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Add movies to iPad

OUiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope this hasn't been covered elsewhere but I can not for he life of me get a movie copied to iTunes for transferring to my iPad. I have the movie on a hard drive in two different formats but still no luck. I can not get it to work with the add files to library nor can I drag and drop it.
I could use some help.

OP
OUiPad

OUiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the movies already ripped and on a hard drive attached to my PC. I have the movies in two formats, .avi and .wmv. I have tried to drag and drop them to iTunes, I have also tried File, Add file to library, but no luck. There must be something glaringly obvious I am missing. What is it?

rob the elder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ITUNES wants MPEG4 format for import. I rip using CUCUSOFT for Apple TV to rip movies. In its infinite wisdom, ITUNES does not give you an error message, it just lays there and does nothing if it does not like the size or format of the movie.

I have found that previous versions of ITUNES did not like even MPEG4 movies if they were over 2MB in size. The latest version of CUCUSOFT will automatically break up longer movies into multiple segments each of which are smaller than the ITUNES limit

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have videos that won't load into iTunes, use handbrake to re-encode them. If you use the Appletv preset it will play fine on your iPad.

Rob the elder, I have never heard of the limit you describe. I have many movies in my library that over the limit you mention without any problems.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mp4 is the only format you can use. Get air video, it let's you stream any format to your device without doing any conversion...there is only an iPhone version in the store, but the universal app is in approval now.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ITUNES wants MPEG4 format for import. I rip using CUCUSOFT for Apple TV to rip movies. In its infinite wisdom, ITUNES does not give you an error message, it just lays there and does nothing if it does not like the size or format of the movie.

I have found that previous versions of ITUNES did not like even MPEG4 movies if they were over 2MB in size. The latest version of CUCUSOFT will automatically break up longer movies into multiple segments each of which are smaller than the ITUNES limit

You're def mistaken, there is no size limit, only format. Maybe you encoded them incorrectly. The iPad and iPhone use hfs+ file system which has no file size limits.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope this hasn't been covered elsewhere but I can not for he life of me get a movie copied to iTunes for transferring to my iPad. I have the movie on a hard drive in two different formats but still no luck. I can not get it to work with the add files to library nor can I drag and drop it.
I could use some help.

Are you on a PC or a Macintosh computer c

wile-e-coyote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a windows guy through and through. I also use CUCUSOFT to convert my DVD-CLONER ripped movies. I now have about 50 movies on my iPAD in sizes from 200m to 1.1g, in lengths from 30 minutes to 3 hours. Ya gotta love the platform! Almost time to go out and pick up some new movies again. I buy the disk for the family, but convert it so I can watch it on the train.

Checkpoint

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another great program for converting is AVS Converter 6 *cough* it's even better when you get a cracked version from TPB... *cough* :)

You can create your own presets for it and stuff... its great!

herbdb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PC users can use Vuze to convert video formats. Open iTunes first, then Vuze sees it and offers a conversion. Also great for conversions for TIVO and XBox 360.

Newer TIVO will pick up Vuze on your network for transfer. (yea, nothing to do with iPad)

viperviper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
try pogoplug device with ipad. it's works well for me. now i hv 4TB of HD of storage and watch movies and retrieve any photos and even files anywhere on earth on my 3G wifi ipad.

I now have an ipad with 4TB of storage. yahooooooo..........

Most reactions