What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Accessing files/storage question

gheedorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hopefully this is an easy question to answer- I haven't used a mac since I switched over in college from my G3 to a PC a decade ago, so I'm quite rusty with how things work on macs in general.

I had to leave my work laptop at the office today for software installation, and all I have is my home PC, which I cannot very well carry to a client meeting tonight. I will be using my girlfriend's iPad 3 to show a website to a freelance client, and I just need to know how and where to store the whole website folder directory- image/css/.js folders, index page, etc- on the iPad 3, and then how to access it (or at least access the index.html file). Also, I want to ensure, if anyone can tell me definitively, that the OS isn't going to be weird about me putting .js files on there?

I don't use iTunes on my computer, and she's at work until 5, so I can't fiddle around with it on my own right now (need her work laptop to sync up to iPad- can't just connect to any pc, as far as I'm aware- but if I actually can, please lemme know, it would save me a bunch of time). We have a dinner meeting at 6:30 so I just want to get my ducks in a row before she gets home, so that there aren't any problems.

Thanks ahead of time!

Last edited:

pmstirling

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gheedorah said:
I had to leave my work laptop at the office today for software installation, and all I have is my home PC, which I cannot very well carry to a client meeting tonight. I will be using my girlfriend's iPad 3 to show a website to a freelance client, and I just need to know how and where to store the whole website folder directory- image/css/.js folders, index page, etc- on the iPad 3, and then how to access it (or at least access the index.html file). Also, I want to ensure, if anyone can tell me definitively, that the OS isn't going to be weird about me putting .js files on there?
Thanks ahead of time!

I'm also quite new to the iPad, and this is one of my pet peeves. As far as I can determine, there is no easy way to do this. The iPad seems intentionally crippled in its data management, in that it's hard to get data on and off it or to share data between apps.

It seems to have an app centric paradigm, rather than the common data centric one of both Mac and windows computers. Meaning that each app is "sandboxed", I.e. exists in its own walled area which also contains its data. It's difficult to share data between apps, and almost impossible to load data on to the iPad without iTunes. I think jailbreaking solves some of these issues, but you probably don't want to do that to your girlfriend's iPad, unless she has already done it.

For example none of the major browsers will let you even save web pages locally. I did find the app Terra which does allow this, and as a bonus it's free. You could use Terra to make local copies of all the pages of your site, and then display them without needing an Internet connection.

The bottom line is that the iPad is not a computer, and thinking of it as one leads to frustration. It's more like a large phone.
patrick

OP
G

gheedorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yar, finally called a few people at work shortly before your response. No file-browsing capabilities. Everything has to go in/come out through an application interface, and additionally, those things cannot be browsed as individual files.

I had a galaxy that I gave to my niece a few weeks ago (never used it- either used home desktop, or work laptop), and I wish I'd had it tonight. Ended up having to set up a subdomain on my site to host the files to show to the client.

Why anyone would buy one of these is beyond me. Could have done this quite easily with any android-based tablet. As my mac friend remarked, "they're very good at what they're designed to do." If they're designed to "be an over-priced digital picture frame," or "cost twice as much as an android-based tablet with 1/4 the capabilities," then yes, they're very good at what they're designed to do.

Gladly will not try to use this thing again. Can't really, anyway- because unlike any android tablet, you cannot simply connect it to a PC- it has to be connected to one specific PC that it is snyced to, on which you must install iTunes to do (instead of just connecting the USB cable and having full access as a drive, or through it's built-in syncing software).

At least I got a (forced) chance to QA the website-loading earlier than expected.

Seriously, why do people love these things?

Last edited:

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Edit: Should have read whole thread, please delete.
Edit: rewriting post to best of ability to avoid thread confusion, sorry.
You could have used a File Storing app to open up html. I love my desktop too.

Last edited:
OP
G

gheedorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, I wish I had known about the file storing app.

Well, primarily, I wish it was just inherent like it is elsewhere, but save for that, I wish I'd known about the app.

Is there one you recommend? I might put one on there for the Gf to improve the iPad's functionality for her- though it seems she has not needed to be able to view any document besides a jpeg since she's owned it, so maybe not =). Still, is there one you recommend?

Didn't mean to use it for development- just meant to put a folder full of files on there, so that I could click one of the files (a .html) and have it open up in a browser.

I love my desktop too! I like the laptop, but really, nothing beats a desktop. Nice comfy rolling chair, flat space for my cup of coffee, I'm good to go.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gheedorah said:
Oh, I wish I had known about the file storing app.

Well, primarily, I wish it was just inherent like it is elsewhere, but save for that, I wish I'd known about the app.

Is there one you recommend? I might put one on there for the Gf to improve the iPad's functionality for her- though it seems she has not needed to be able to view any document besides a jpeg since she's owned it, so maybe not =). Still, is there one you recommend?

Didn't mean to use it for development- just meant to put a folder full of files on there, so that I could click one of the files (a .html) and have it open up in a browser.

I love my desktop too! I like the laptop, but really, nothing beats a desktop. Nice comfy rolling chair, flat space for my cup of coffee, I'm good to go.

I use FileApp for storing files. The developers seem honest too. I'm sure it can open html (with the whole folder thing). I love my desktop, unfortunately my Mac Mini died yesterday and now I have to use my horrid iMac. I'll build one sooner or later though.

Sent from K48

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Here's the thing... The ipad can do a lot if things, even when it isn't jailbroken, but you have to find an app to do it.
To use one effectively, you have to have a paradigm shift away from how a PC or Mac works to how an iPad works.
I too have extensive experience of android tablets & yes they are more similar to a PC - but that on its own does not make them better - more flexible? - possibly.
More stable, better web browsing, better apps, better build quality - iPad wins on all those counts, IMO.
It would be interesting to read if you solved it. But I would have started with all the files in a new Dropbox account & then tried various alternative browsers such as Dolphin for example. Or placed the files live on some temporary web server space. It just requires a little lateral thinking. :)

Mini_mi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ifiles could do what you want also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most reactions