What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

About to tear my hair out 4.3.3

kestrel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please can someone help me out.

I have an iPad 1, not jailbroken.

Trying to upgrade to 4.3.3

Tried via iTunes four times now and after approxs 85 mins with 5 secs to go, says cannot do time out check settings etc.

Tried again with firewalls switched off, same result.

Went to the "Hack" link on this site for a direct download and all I got was a blank page i.e. couldn't download anything

I just cannot understand why a legitimate download cannot be done.

Went to Apple Help and they wanted to charge me advice.

If I cant get an answer here, will go to the Apple store when back in London.

Appreciate any help and thanks in advance

Bud

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.insilicodesigns.com
Things to check

I assume that when you connect your device to iTunes, you get some sort of dialog like, "There is a newer version of iOS for this device. Do you want to Download+Install or Download Only?.

Do the "Download Only" option, just to eliminate the possibility that your errors are related to the Install part. I think the Download Only option also makes it easier to restart the download if your network dies (should happen automatically if you quit and relaunch iTunes after a network disconnect, check in the Downloads section of iTunes).

Also, make sure you aren't really short on Disk Space. The iPad 4.3.3 ipsw file is about 600Mb, so you probably want at least 4 times that much free space (and that might be conservative). So if you have less than 2Gb free, it might be prudent to see if you can free up space on your disk (not on your ipad).

If you feel brave, you could run the MacOSX Console application and look at the 'All Messages' or 'Console Messages' to see if there were any errors that showed up but didn't make it to an error dialog in iTunes. Do this right after or as you are doing the download and scroll to the bottom to see the most recent messages.

That's all I can think of now. Good Luck

OP
K

kestrel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Bud,

On the red wine now so will try your download only option tomorrow and let you know what happens. I use a PC for iTunes.

I know from my searching on Google that I am not the only one experiencing this problem.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you been jailbroken before? I'm seem to recall an entry made on a host file that you had to delete or it messed with updating the firmware.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wookiee2cu said:
Have you been jailbroken before? I'm seem to recall an entry made on a host file that you had to delete or it messed with updating the firmware.

That's what I was thinking.

techknott

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just download it independently from iTunes and then install it with shift and restore.

Sent from my Nokia 3210

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This really sounds like an issue with your PC setup and nothing else. Are you using IE by chance? It is notoriously problematic.

Suggest you disable anti-virus (not firewall), and use an alternative browser if you can (firefox, chrome).

Download from the link in this thread - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24939-official-apple-ios-firmware-download-links-ipad.html

These are not "hacks" as you suggested. These are the DIRECT download links from Apple. Official and original. Nothing else.
The problem is not your hosts file as some suggested. Downloads of IOS are far removed from the Apple firmware signing server which would be the only thing possibly redirected in your hosts file.

If you cannot download these links then there is something wrong with the specific setup of your PC or internet connection.

If you do manage to get the download completed. In iTunes, press shift-restore and navigate to the file you downloaded and select it. It should then restore OK.

Hope that helps.

OP
K

kestrel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First of all very many thanks to allthose above who gave me advice.

In the end I went along with f4780y's advice and it worked. Thankyou very much.

Slight problem though, my last backup was Oct 2010 aned consequently I have lost loads of stuff!

I remembered that I last did a sync on my laptop about a mont ago and thought maybe I could get most of my stuff back via that means. Had a quick read in the iPad manual on how to restore a backup and I could not get it to work. It says to connect the iPad to the laptop and then control click on iPad in the side bar. Soon as I connected the iPad up, it started syncing.

I am getting myself into a bit of a mess here and would appreciate a few words on how to sort this out.

I need to upgrade my wifes iPad to 4.3.3 as well and cannot bear the thought of what will happen if I lose her stuff as well.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kestrel1 said:

Slight problem though, my last backup was Oct 2010 aned consequently I have lost loads of stuff!

I remembered that I last did a sync on my laptop about a mont ago and thought maybe I could get most of my stuff back via that means. Had a quick read in the iPad manual on how to restore a backup and I could not get it to work. It says to connect the iPad to the laptop and then control click on iPad in the side bar. Soon as I connected the iPad up, it started syncing.

I am getting myself into a bit of a mess here and would appreciate a few words on how to sort this out.

I need to upgrade my wifes iPad to 4.3.3 as well and cannot bear the thought of what will happen if I lose her stuff as well.

Down restore from a backup, you have to restore the iPad and then iTunes will give you the option to restore from a backup.

ALcH3Mi5T

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kestrel1 said:

Your wife's shouldn't be a problem as long as you connect it to iTunes first and do a backup/sync prior to updating.

Fr0st

iPF Noob
Reaction score

As for your apps, you could always just re-download them from the app store. It will remember your purchases and and will not charge you twice. What I would suggest you do is do a backup every month or so, so you don't lose any precious data.

Now for your wife's iPad: If you follow these instructions carefully, you shouldn't have a problem upgrading. Connect her device to your/her PC, if prompted to upgrade reject! Then right click on her iPad in iTunes, go to Back up, wait till the back up is complete, and voilà! You have performed a backup of her settings and data. It is now safe to upgrade. :D

Hope this helps!

OP
K

kestrel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks ubuntu, have just tried that out on the iPhone and seemed to work fine.

Before I do my wifes iPad, a quick question.

After the backup I intend to upgrade to 4.3.3 using the Shift restore method. When I do this I assume it will prompt me about restoring the backup? Is this correct?

Fr0st

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kestrel1 said:
Thanks ubuntu, have just tried that out on the iPhone and seemed to work fine.

Before I do my wifes iPad, a quick question.

After the backup I intend to upgrade to 4.3.3 using the Shift restore method. When I do this I assume it will prompt me about restoring the backup? Is this correct?

That is correct! Once you are done with the shift-restore method, you will be asked if you want to set it up as a new iPad/ or restore from the last back up. *Note this would be the final step.

So the steps would be: Back up wife's iPad>shif-restore>follow installation prompts>when given a choice, choose to restore last back up>enjoy 4.3.3!

Let us know if you've done it correctly, because we love success stories! :D

P.S

The name is Fr0st, and you've made me think of changing my avatar to avoid confusion. :eek:

Most reactions

Latest posts