What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AA battery iPad charger?

bookdoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having lost power due to the storm for, thankfully, just 20 hours or so, I was wondering if there is a gadget to operate an iPad off of AA batteries, not a rechargeable battery pack supply, the reviews of several seeming wanting. And why not an AA powered netbook too. Disasters get one to thinking. Thanks to all.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unlikely. The iPad only runs off its own battery, even when it's being charged. Best bet is a UPS.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree with the UPS idea....however, in ths day and age of mobile devices, I fear that most people have forgotten what they actually are. UPS = uninterruptable power supply. They are good for using as backup power for your computer, good in the event of power outage (so you won't lose data you were working on and you can save and power down gracefully) and also for poweline problems like surges, drops, sags, spikes, etc.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another way of powering your iPad during a power failure, if you don't have a generator, is one of those rechargeable emergency power packs that supplies a 110 volt supply through integral plug sockets.

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
I agree with the UPS idea....however, in ths day and age of mobile devices, I fear that most people have forgotten what they actually are. UPS = uninterruptable power supply. They are good for using as backup power for your computer, good in the event of power outage (so you won't lose data you were working on and you can save and power down gracefully) and also for poweline problems like surges, drops, sags, spikes, etc.

Good point AQ. They actually supply clean electricity in areas where surges and brown outs can damage electronics so they are ideal to use even when the power is on. When the power goes out they continue to supply power, and when the UPS dies you still have a fully charged laptop/iPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have an emergency jump starter for my truck. This is a rechargeable pack that will jump start your vehicle. Mine also has an air compressor, a USB port, and a standard car electrical outlet.

The USB port is underpowered for the iPad (but will charger the iPhone nicely).

However, I can plug in the iPad's car charging kit to the electrical outlet (once upon a time cigaret lighter socket) and it works nicely.

It's bulky, but does multiple duty in all kinds of emergencies.

I also have a UPS on my computer. If I decide to be smart I'll turn off the computer and just use the iPad for emergencies. Or better yet the iPhone, considering how very little power it takes.

Last edited:

intillzah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 350 cca battery jump starter pack that I'm going to use for a backup power supply.

Most reactions

Latest posts