What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A virtual Windows on an iPad ?

Amaretto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there !
I was wondering if there is a solution as vmware or other to install Windows on an IPad , ,but a standalone solution , not a mirror of a Windows desktop from another computer . I've done some searches , all I got is something that requires a connection to my computer via some servers , but it doesn't fit my needs . Guess that physically an iPad has the capabilities to support a virtual machine , it's just a matter of software .
Of course , my iPad is not jailbroken yet , but I'll do so as soon as they release it .
And if a virtual Windows is not possible , is there a possibility of a virtual Snow leopard , under the same conditions - no connection required ?
Thanks in advance !

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wish! :)

There is an emulator for windows 95, but it is slow as mess.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not a chance as things stand I'm afraid. Just not enough resources to even get close to emulation of a modern Windows OS.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
Then this thread doesn't belong in the Hacking Section.:)

It surely doesn't , not sure where it should go :)

Why would you want to emulate Windows on your iPad? I can't for the life of me think of a reason :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
A

Amaretto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for posting in the wrong section .
Well ,I thought about it because I'd love to use my Delphi for programming and there is nothing else to do . I'm not Windows' greatest fan , it's just a tool , and wish to have an equivalent on iPad .
And what about writing programs with SDK directly on the iPad ?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well ,I thought about it because I'd love to use my Delphi for programming and there is nothing else to do . I'm not Windows' greatest fan , it's just a tool , and wish to have an equivalent on iPad .

If you feel like learning how to develop your own apps you can do so for free. Go to iTunes on your iPad, click on 'iTunesU' at the bottom right hand side, select 'Universities and Colleges', then scroll to Stanford. Scroll right through the courses and you'll find a two-part, 25 lectures per part, course on programming iPad apps. It's free and, by the end of the course, you'll be able to program some simple apps yourself. It's a great resource from one of the best Universities in the world.
Tim

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score

If you feel like learning how to develop your own apps you can do so for free. Go to iTunes on your iPad, click on 'iTunesU' at the bottom right hand side, select 'Universities and Colleges', then scroll to Stanford. Scroll right through the courses and you'll find a two-part, 25 lectures per part, course on programming iPad apps. It's free and, by the end of the course, you'll be able to program some simple apps yourself. It's a great resource from one of the best Universities in the world.
Tim

How much prior programming know-how do you need for something like that? I've done Visual basic and HTML, somehow I think IPad programming is out of my reach...:(

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No It's Not

Tim

How much prior programming know-how do you need for something like that? I've done Visual basic and HTML, somehow I think IPad programming is out of my reach...:(

The course Tim has suggested is very good. You have a grounding in programme linguistics already, what have you got to lose? I'd say go for it, we need more apps!! :)

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim

The course Tim has suggested is very good. You have a grounding in programme linguistics already, what have you got to lose? I'd say go for it, we need more apps!! :)

Looking at the ITunes course in question, it looks like I'm expected to already have a background in programming with C or some variant like C+. I tried teaching myself C, and it was a no go. But what the hey, I'll sit through the first lecture!

EDIT: Apparently I need an intel based MAC to follow the course. All I got is my PowerPC Mac mini. Not happening, lol.

Last edited:

Copeypad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As far as I know not yet. Though I reckon the iPad could easily do a stand alone version. The spec isn't much off my pc. The games probs run smoother than they would on my pc as well lol.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As far as I know not yet. Though I reckon the iPad could easily do a stand alone version. The spec isn't much off my pc. The games probs run smoother than they would on my pc as well lol.

Windows has so much background junk it runs that makes it super slow, windows can't run well on most regular laptops, much less an iPad. A lot of what makes the iPad so great it is the software.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Copeypad said:

Seriously? A4 processor and 512mb?? What's the equivalent? An atom and 512mb? That would be slow as hell!

Most reactions

Latest posts