What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Tardy Hello

Thehamguy1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Though I've been on this forum since getting my iPad2 on release day, I never stopped to enter a formal hello to the moderators and users.

I'm relatively new to Apple products, though my computer experience goes back to the mid-70s, when anything smaller than a desk was a "microcomputer." My screen name, thehamguy1, acknowledges both my ham radio hobby (since 1957) and that someone already took "thehamguy" back when I was deciding what to be called on various fora. I've too many hobbies, actually, but riding my motorcycle and camping vie for equal time with computer play. I live in Iowa, slightly east of the center of the U.S. Hello world!

Last edited:
OP
Thehamguy1

Thehamguy1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oops. Too gabby, per usual. Happens as one closes out one's 7th decade.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome from someone who's closing out her fourth decade. Nice to see that I probably have many more years of 'puter playin' ahead of me...!

Now if I can just convince my mom (who just closed out her 7th decaded) that she can use these "new fangled" things. :D Got any advice for her?

Again, welcome!

Marilyn

OP
Thehamguy1

Thehamguy1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My only advice would be to think of it as a puzzle to solve, then jump in. It's pretty hard to do something irreparable to a computer from the keyboard. How did you get italics in your post, by the way? <ital>wow</ital>?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In a web browser - At the end of each thread, look down and in the quick reply box, you'll see three colored boxes, orange, red and green with the letters B, I and U, respectively. B = bold, I = italic and U = underline. Just highlight the text you want and click on the box.

Note that this works if you "go advanced" from the quick reply or start a thread yourself (except you won't have the colored boxes - just the letters).

Now, if you are using the IPF app, I don't know how to do it, because I don't use the app. Maybe someone else can help.

And, another way is to use just the letters like this: [i ] [/i] or [ b] [/b] or [u ] [/u] <-- where you take the spaces out and have your text in the middle. But - it's just easier to click on the boxes... :)

Marilyn

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome from someone who's closing out her fourth decade. Nice to see that I probably have many more years of 'puter playin' ahead of me...!

Now if I can just convince my mom (who just closed out her 7th decaded) that she can use these "new fangled" things. :D Got any advice for her?

Again, welcome!

Marilyn

Tell your Mom that we have a member who celebrated her 100th birthday last Saturday and she celebrated by looking over an album of family photos on her iPad that her family had put together for her.

For the other family members present at her party, she had hooked her iPad up via an HDMI connector to her flat screen TV.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts