What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.0.2 needs lots of space!!!???

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
Explain to me (anyone) why: (1) every machine I consider updating with 8.0.2 says that it needs a different mount of space, and (2) why it needs a bazillion amount of Bytes of space anyway!?

Every machine I try to load it onto (iPhone 5S, iPad Mini, iPad minii/Retina, iPad 2) it wants anywhere from ~2 to ~5 GB of space! How can an OS need that much space!!??

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The operating system contains a huge number of files and codes which are responsible for carrying out the endless operatins you can do using the iPad. It requires a lot of space. Some space is always 'prebooked' for the OS.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That extra space is used during the download and installation of the iOS 8 upgrade. After installation is complete and verified, the space is freed up, with only the actual update size remaining used by the iOS.

For example, in this screenshot from my iPad it shows 65.5mb for the iOS 8.0.2 update. After the update is complete, this is all that is used by the update.
image.jpg

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you update through iTunes, with your iPad plugged into your computer via USB cable instead of over wifi, you won't need those gigabytes of free space. Presumably, all of the downloading, decompression, and assembly of the new system files will then occur on your computer's hard drive instead of on the iPad.

Dogsandroses

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can I fix my lack of space once I have downloaded the fix without being hooked up via cable? My update has been a disaster!!!! Can't fix with all the usual methods.

jaba123

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I try to update my tab4.the update show.1.and some gb for update I have free space of 5.3gb but nothing started

jaba123

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When push update button nor or agreement arise

jaba123

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I remeber when I try update any apps then agreement arise now I try.

jaba123

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I try by updating apps but after I select again iOS8 nothing happ now?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are there any popups? E.g. Telling you that there's not enough storage?

Are you connected to Wi-Fi?

jaba123

iPF Novice
Reaction score
First on my wifi then I click update no pop ups sample death no signs appears.

Most reactions

Latest posts