What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

720p video playback....not supported ???

Pianist718

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys.

So, I am trying to play 720p and 1080p video on iPad2. these are MKV files and I am using a video player that I downloaded off of iTunes. Her is the problem. Right before I start playing it, system says that video is too large for iPad to handle.

My question .... So how does iPad play hd video when you download it from iTunes and has no problem playing it?..

I really need to make this thing work. Huge reason why I got this iPad is to play movies I download from the Internet.

Thanks

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Downloading movies for free is illegal.

:p

If you are getting them legitimately, someone may help you.

Last edited:
OP
P

Pianist718

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just confused why hd movies (4gb+) when downloaded from iTunes works fine but my video stalls

sidersb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pianist718 said:
Hi guys.

So, I am trying to play 720p and 1080p video on iPad2. these are MKV files and I am using a video player that I downloaded off of iTunes. Her is the problem. Right before I start playing it, system says that video is too large for iPad to handle.

My question .... So how does iPad play hd video when you download it from iTunes and has no problem playing it?..

I really need to make this thing work. Huge reason why I got this iPad is to play movies I download from the Internet.

Thanks

What are MKV files? Typical Apple supports MV4 but not exclusively. Also, are you playing it on the iPad or playing it thru the HDMI adapter?

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
graywolf said:
Downloading movies for free is illegal.

:p

If you are getting them legitimately, someone may help you.

O/P says 'downloading from itunes' so it's legitimate.

Are you streaming from iTunes and it's ok? as I wonder if the issue is not enough free memory on your device.

While might show free memory i think the system is like a PC (which uses extended RAM or hard drive cache) extended memory when needed, to operate in.

Apps running in the background can cause more system memory usage.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"I am using a video player I downloaded off iTunes"
He got the app from iTunes. Not the movie. And if he did download the movie off iTunes then it would already be fully compatible with the iPad.

OsabaMark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Using AirPlayit fooling around the other night I had it playing a 6gb mkv file.This was streaming over Wifi from my External memory connected to the pc. Airplayit is free bythe way on the Appstore. U could try that.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To start, what is the video player app you downloaded from iTunes? Does it specifically say that at will play .mkv files? I use AVPlayer HD but I have not tried .mkv files, just video clips from my camera and wmv files and so on. I'd also try handbrake (free converting program) to try and convert it to see if there are issues with the mkv file itself.

andydajo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To start, what is the video player app you downloaded from iTunes? Does it specifically say that at will play .mkv files? I use AVPlayer HD but I have not tried .mkv files, just video clips from my camera and wmv files and so on. I'd also try handbrake (free converting program) to try and convert it to see if there are issues with the mkv file itself.

AVPlayerHD works a treat with .MKV files (any size), you just choose AVPlayerHD in the APP section of your iPad in iTunes and drag and drop the files from Windows Explorer, probably in a similar fashion on a Mac. Hope this info helps.

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This thread highlights the frustrating time you can have using video converters, been suckered so many times myself the promises they make fie ease and speed.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agree with graywolf, never had a problem with handbrake when I did use it, great free program. I just got tired of having to convert so I bought AVPlayer HD.

Most reactions

Latest posts