What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

70% of iPad 2s Sold to New Buyers According to Analyst

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iPad_2_3.JPG

Fortune’s Apple 2.0 blog reports today on the findings of the analysts at Piper Jaffray, who interviewed 236 would-be iPad 2 customers in lines outside New York City and Minneapolis Apple stores on Friday, as well as calling a selection of iPad 2 retailers including Apple stores, Target and Best Buy. The analysts found that 70% of iPad 2 customers did not already have an iPad, in contrast to 23% of iPhone 4 customers who did not already have an iPhone when they purchased their iPhone 4.

"We believe this shows Apple is expanding its base of iPad users, which is critical to maintaining its early lead in the growing tablet market,†Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster told Apple 2.0. “As the user base grows Apple's lead widens, and the company has a proven track record of building unmatched brand loyalty, which we believe will be a potent combination as the tablet market evolves."

Piper Jaffray also found that the buyers were divided up fairly evenly between PC and Mac owners (49% and 51% respectively), in marked contrast to the much larger split between PC and Mac owners who bought the original iPad (26% and 74% respectively. The analysts also found that 65% of customers had an iPhone, but only 24% had a Kindle (although this was up from 13% for the original iPad). Somewhat surprisingly, the number of buyers who intended to use their iPad as an e-reader had fallen to 6% from 19%, and less surprisingly, 17% said they would be using their iPad 2 to play games and run apps, up from the figure of 9% for the original iPad.

Source: Piper Jaffray: iPad 2 totally sold out, 70% to new buyers - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Tech

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thats a lot of new apple iPad owners. We taking over..lol. I could buy me an ipad2 right now but restraining myself like crazyyy!

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yup, I'm one of those brand-new-to-Apple purchasers and must say that I'm not at all impressed with the way they do business.

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm one of that 70%! And I don't regret it one bit.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yup, I'm one of those brand-new-to-Apple purchasers and must say that I'm not at all impressed with the way they do business.

How come?

Two words: in stock. I order lots of stuff online. When I find something I'd like to order, most sites state whether the item is in stock or not. In other words, the retailer actually has the stuff it wants to sell. If it is something that must be made to order, that info is stated as well.

Apple appears to sell merchandise online that it does not have on hand; merchandise that does not even actually exist - but it doesn't tell you that. As a consumer, I don't particularly care for that business model.

Apple could learn a lot from Jeff Bezos.

Rambler358

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the_john said:
I'm one of that 70%! And I don't regret it one bit.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

+1
Yeah, there are some things I'd like to see such as Flash and home screen widgets, but overall I'm glad I got this over a competing Android tablet.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Anomalous

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Aspasia said:
Apple appears to sell merchandise online that it does not have on hand; merchandise that does not even actually exist - but it doesn't tell you that. As a consumer, I don't particularly care for that business model.

It's called iHope. LOL

Trky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple appears to sell merchandise online that it does not have on hand; merchandise that does not even actually exist - but it doesn't tell you that.

You know what I don't like? Stupid consumers.

ipad2.JPG

Directly from apples website. It's not apples fault you can't read.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
umm...no need to call people stupid, really. Perhaps it didn't state the 2-3 weeks shipping info when Aspasia was there ~

Either way ~

That wasn't nice!

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Apple could learn a lot from Jeff Bezos.

But Amazon accepts preorders on tons of items all the time, and if an item is sold out, it becomes backordered. I fail to see what your problem with Apple is. The iPad 2 does exist: but demand was far in excess of supply. It happens. It's not as if they advertised vapourware (a la Clamcase) and left buyers waiting for months without even a delivery date after taking their money.

Wing

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought iPad 1 just 2 weeks before iPad 2 came out and I'm still happy with the 1. Here in Indonesia, street price for iPad 1 still more than 120-140% of its original price. And even iPad 2's street price could reach 175%. So, for the moment, I'm happy with all the discussion about iPad 2, while holding my jailbroken iPad 1 :)

smithvillemike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While I really can't speak to how good the iPad is since I haven't got mine yet, I will say that I have no problem with the online store. I expected a major rush and knew to order it as soon as I could. I was online at 3am central time and the website worked great. My iPad2 is scheduled to arrive on the 17th and I am very excited. I am jealous of those who have theirs already but I wasn't about to stand in line in the hopes of getting what I wanted. I took the other route and ordered exactly what I wanted and am waiting patiently for it to arrive.

That said if you have a problem with Apple then state specifics. A general statement of how bad they are does nothing.

If you have a problem with someone's post then address the issue. Calling someone names only lessens you.

Most reactions