What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.0.1 Untethered Jailbreak for iPad1 RELEASED

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great news for owners of A4 devices including the iPad1. The new redsn0w version (0.9.10) just released will now perform an untethered jailbreak on your devices!

Get it from the usual source - Dev-Team Blog

WARNING: The initial version of the untether BREAKS iBooks on the iPad and iPhone. You are advised to steer clear until @pod2g releases an update if you rely on the iBooks app. He is aware of the problem, has a solution, and is working on a payload to fix!

Tutorials and other sticky threads will be updated later. In the meantime, enjoy your untethered goodness on the iPad1! Happy Holidays :)

Note: iPad2 owners, this is NOT for you. There is no ETA for an iPad2 release, please don't ask for one!

Last edited:

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks
I'll wait a few days and see what's going on.
I am with a great 4.3

bL33d

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Boo!!!

J/k good news for people on old hardware.

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great! Excellent news Leigh... Thanks for always stay on top of this stuff :)

JB here we go!

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Also, anyone currently tethered on 5.0.1 should be able to install the "corona 5.0.1 untether" via the BigBoss repo in Cydia to untether your setup.

nickcuban

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is great news! I forgot my ipad at home so I will have to do it tonight/tomorrow at work. Would you suggest getting the corona untether or actually going through resn0w?

Mavlar81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it safe for us iPad 2 users to update to 5.0.1 yet?

Sent from my white 16gb iPad 2 using iPF

lerx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah! Going to update my iPad 1 tar to iOS 5.0.1 for untethered jailbreak!! So excited :) currently on iOS 4.3.3 untethered jailbreak

Sent from my awesome iPad 1 using iPF

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got iPAD 4.3 JB what should I do ?
Do I have to install 5.01 On top of my 4.3 and then run the new JB ?
What will happen with all my JB applications?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I got iPAD 4.3 JB what should I do ? Do I have to install 5.01 On top of my 4.3 and then run the new JB ?
What will happen with all my JB applications?

Here's my recommendation:

First, back up the iPad in iTunes. Then, I'd suggest purchasing a backup tweak from Cydia (I use PKGBackup). This way, you can run both backups during the restore process and easily put your iPad1 back the way it was. Well, with iOS 5 on it... :D The tweaks and such that you bought from Cydia will still be available to you - it's just like the App Store, in that, once you've paid for it, it's yours. You just have to reinstall it. Oh, but double check that the tweak is fully compatible with iOS 5 (and the iPad). If you elect not to use a backup package/tweak, just make sure you have a list of your Cydia stuff, so you won't forget which ones to put back on the iPad1.

After backing up your iPad, restore your iPad1 to iOS 5.0.1 (stock). Do this via DFU mode, as we've notice that restoring via iTunes works better with a jail broken device if you use DFU mode. See this sticky for the best way to put iOS 5 on your iPad1: http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

Then, "restore from backup" via iTunes. Your iPad will still be stock, this will just put all your apps, contacts, mail, etc., info back on it.

Download and run the new redsn0w untethered jailbreak mentioned here. If you've gotten a Cydia tweak to backup, go to Cydia to get that tweak installed first. Then, you can run it to get all your other tweaks installed. If you didn't install a backup for Cydia, just manually install all the tweaks you had before (again, check to make sure they're iOS 5 compatible).

And, that's it. It's a rather easy process. It just takes time - especially since you are going from one major version (iOS 4) to another (iOS 5).

But, that's the process I did when I upgraded and, other than time, it went well.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Mickey330
I started with the Transfer Purchesed.
Already downloaded to my pc the 5.-1 Version and the
redsn0w_win_0.9.10b1
Upgraded the iTunes to 10.5.2.
I'll continue later

Good site for explanations:
[Moderator edit: While we appreciate it, we create our own tutorials and such here for the iPad. Therefore, no external tutorials, please. Please refer to the stickies and how-tos already written by our resident experts. Thanks.]

Last edited by a moderator:

banditgrrr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Files for 3G model

I'm relatively new here so please forgive me if this has been answered. I've read through the sticky's and I'm slightly confused. I have an Ipad 1 that has wifi and 3G. Do I need a different firmware file or have to create a custom IPSW file like I do on my iphone for the jailbreak to work with 3G?

According to my settings, my modem firmware is currently 07.10.00. I've looked through the posts but couldn't find my own answer. If someone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm relatively new here so please forgive me if this has been answered. I've read through the sticky's and I'm slightly confused. I have an Ipad 1 that has wifi and 3G. Do I need a different firmware file or have to create a custom IPSW file like I do on my iphone for the jailbreak to work with 3G?

According to my settings, my modem firmware is currently 07.10.00. I've looked through the posts but couldn't find my own answer. If someone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

No, you're fine to just use the 5.0.1 IPSW provided by Apple. You don't have to worry about basebands (or modems) because the iPad isn't an iPhone. So, there's no need to do a custom IPSW build - nor is there one. And, for the iPad1, it doesn't matter if it's WiFi or 3G...

So, you can either allow iTunes to fetch the iOS 5.0.1 firmware and restore/upgrade to that version, or you can download the IPSW file from here: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24939-official-apple-ios-firmware-download-links-ipad.html

Once you've got the stock iOS 5.0.1 on your iPad1, then you can go an jailbreak it (now untethered!) using the new redsn0w release mentioned in the first post of this thread.

Hope this helps/reassures.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts