What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4G Hotspot

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
With the new iPad having a built-in hotspot, will I be able to use it for my HP laptop?

Verizon is including free hotspot use in the plans for the iPad.

I currently have Hughesnet for my home Internet access, which is expensive - $75/month.

This way I can get rid of Hughesnet and use the hotspot when I need to use the laptop.

Anybody have info on this?

DroidHAM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AlexisW said:
With the new iPad having a built-in hotspot, will I be able to use it for my HP laptop?

Verizon is including free hotspot use in the plans for the iPad.

I currently have Hughesnet for my home Internet access, which is expensive - $75/month.

This way I can get rid of Hughesnet and use the hotspot when I need to use the laptop.

Anybody have info on this?

Pretty sure you'd blow through your data limit pretty quick using it as your home internet.

OP
AlexisW

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My Hughesnet account is for 250mb and it's more than enough. Wouldn't this still be the case using 4G?

Due to Hughesnet being satellite, latency is a big problem. There's no cable out here.

DroidHAM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AlexisW said:
My Hughesnet account is for 250mb and it's more than enough. Wouldn't this still be the case using 4G?

Due to Hughesnet being satellite, latency is a big problem. There's no cable out here.

You could go through 250mb on 4g in 5 minutes. I do a few gb a month on my 4g phone.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope you have looked into the Verizon model. Verizon models of ipad2 3g do not have a removable sim card, thus if you travel you cannot buy a sim for the area or country you're visiting and I have heard not many countries support the Verizon model which has the 3G built in. I haven't heard about the Verizon ipad3 4g model but it might be an idea to check this out first.
Just a thought!

OP
AlexisW

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I hope you have looked into the Verizon model. Verizon models of ipad2 3g do not have a removable sim card, thus if you travel you cannot buy a sim for the area or country you're visiting and I have heard not many countries support the Verizon model which has the 3G built in. I haven't heard about the Verizon ipad3 4g model but it might be an idea to check this out first.
Just a thought!

Thanks, but, that's nothing that I need to worry about.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
AlexisW said:
Would the hotspot from the iPad be able to be used by a Windows PC?

If you fit a wifi card it should work. A laptop already has the capability built in.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

paul65k

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I have....actually HAD HughesNet at our vacation house and the 250MB is per day not for the month BTW. If you use your iPad data plan at this rate you will need ~7.5GB a month.....quite a bit more than the 5MB plan provides.

In my case I changed over to using an AT&T USB WAN card in a compatible router about a year ago and will NEVER go back to the Satellite. In a word HughesNet "SUCKS"!!!!! the minute you go past 250MB in a 24 hour period they shut you down to 14.4 for get this 24 FREAKING HOURS!!!!

I managed to find an AT&T Wan Card with an unlimited data plan so I don;t worry about the amount of usage and also have the Unlimited data plan a=on my current iPad1 which I'll transfer to my new iPad when it arrives Friday but I'm pretty sure that AT&T will be smart enough to NOT allow me to use this unit as a Hotspot but if they do then I'm "Golden".....we'll know a lot more when we get them on Friday.

Stay Tuned!

DroidHAM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got a 4g phone with unlimited data and tethering. Wifi iPad works for me.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just a thought!

The new Verizon iPads (3) will have SIM slots.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
The new Verizon iPads (3) will have SIM slots.

Really! Well that's a smart move on their part I think.
Thanks so much for letting me know Twerppoet. Much appreciated. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts