What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4G experiences?

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is anyone using 4G with the iPad yet? I'm curious about the performance benefits. I got some junk mail saying 4G Unlimited Data is available for $25/month in my area(with a mobile hotspot device) and I was thinking of trying it out since...

1) I don't like that iTunes won't let me download while on 3G
2) I don't like that most AT&T hotspots (Starbucks) are slower than my home wifi
3) It's $5 cheaper than the original Unlimited plan, which I'm still on.

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not worth it. As a mifi user it sucks.

Great if AT&T doesn't have service in your area. Never had issues with iTunes or starbucks..

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not worth it. As a mifi user it sucks.

Sorry, you'll have to explain your technical jargon - what do you mean by "sucks?"

Nothing to really explain.. Just a thinking process (or if pre iPad, experience).

If you had a crummy cellphone only good for talk and text, no emails, would you also lug around a verizon netbook in addition so you could have email on the go. Or just buy a cellphone that also does email too?

Get a mifi tho. Check out the short battery life, and the extra device to lug around. See if it's worth the amazing 4g speeds :p

OP
E

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not to punch a gift horse in the mouth, but you're being pretty vague. Most of your counter-arguments could apply to owning an iPad itself, or any iDevice. Here's my question: in your experience, does it work as advertised? It's supposed to be faster, last 4 hours, and weigh 4.5 oz. Which of these is it not doing?

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
4g > 3g

I don't think the iPad will do 4G...

I am typing this right now on my iPad connected to my Clear iSpot's 4G.

4g1.jpg

It's noticeably faster than any of the carrier's 3G's average .7 to 1.4mbps speeds.

The router cost me $20, bought during their week-long special last week.

Here's some other details regarding the iSpot:

1. Allows up to 8 iOS devices to be tethered at the same time.
2. Has a connection radius of 150 feet (half a football field)
3. Has an average of 6 mbps download/1 mbps up speed with bursts of 10.

4. Is shipped to you for free.
5. No contract/month to month
6. $25/mo

For those who aren't blanketed by 4G coverage, Clear offers a 3G/4G combo version for $55/month.

Manufacturer's website: Clear.com High Speed Mobile / Wireless Internet Service Provider

Last edited:

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not to punch a gift horse in the mouth, but you're being pretty vague. Most of your counter-arguments could apply to owning an iPad itself, or any iDevice. Here's my question: in your experience, does it work as advertised? It's supposed to be faster, last 4 hours, and weigh 4.5 oz. Which of these is it not doing?

Does it work as advertised? I own a pickup, but have never used the 'bed' or function ofnthe pickup if you will. Working as advertised doesn't mean it's practical.

Two years ago I didn't stream heavy media via cable Internet. Email, web, chat. Was spending $65 a month for highspeed Internet. Didn't need such supply to balance out my demand.

Do you need 4g service? Is it worth your time/effort lugging around a hotspot such as a mifi?

..I mean really. Do as you wish. But all I'm saying is think whats practical with common sence. Would companies be blasting out how fast and great 4g service is, if it was worse than 3G? ..pretty sure their marketing departments wouldn't allow it due to profits.

Just think.

OP
E

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
..I mean really. Do as you wish. But all I'm saying is think whats practical with common sence. Would companies be blasting out how fast and great 4g service is, if it was worse than 3G? ..pretty sure their marketing departments wouldn't allow it due to profits.

Just think.

...I have NO idea what you're talking about...

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Just think.

...I have NO idea what you're talking about...

Glad I wasn't the only one that didn't quite comprehend that. After reading the member's posts a couple times, I gather that he/she is saying is that they believe that mifi's "suck" and that 4G is actually worse than 3G, but carriers aren't going to tell us that.. because it wouldn't be profitable.

As an iPad user that has experienced AT&T's internal router's 3G speeds, Virgin Mobile's 3G mifi's speeds(which is basically Sprint's 3G service), and Clear's 4G iSpot, I'd have to whole heartedly recommend $25/mo, unlimited, no contract, up to 8 iOS devices, 150 ft range mobile router, which is about the same size as my iPhone that I don't mind "lugging" around in my pocket. After experiencing 4G on my iPad, there is no way I am going back to paying for 3G speeds, unless I travel/spend time in areas that are only supported by 3G, which I still have the option for either through Clear or through AT&T still.

Last edited:

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow.

.. Way over both your heads. How hard is it to understand.. Just because it's the newest greatest thing, doesn't mean it's worth it.

Is it practical? Do you need, or want 4g? If you need it, is it worth lugging around a hotspot and responsibility caring for it? Or does 3G do what is needed for you?

Even you two should understand this: pros vs cons.

Last edited:

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow.

.. Way over both your heads. How hard is it to understand.. Just because it's the newest greatest thing, doesn't mean it's worth it.

Is it practical? Do you need, or want 4g? If you need it, is it worth lugging around a hotspot and responsibility caring for it? Or does 3G do what is needed for you?

Even you two should understand this: pros vs cons.

I'm not sure that what you said is over anyone's head, but rather vague, aside from your snapshot response of mifi's suck and all.

Is it practical? Absolutely! Why would I want to pay $25 for only 2GB of data at 3G speeds for one device, when I can spend the same $25 for unlimited data at 4x the speeds for up to 8 devices?

Do I need or want 4G? Heck yeah!

Is it worth "lugging" around and having the responsibility of carrying it? You mean the same way I "lug" around my iPhone and care for it? They are practically the same size and weight.

Does 3G do what is needed for me? Um, no.

I'm sure I know the pros and cons of each. Do you?

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't think the iPad will do 4G...

I am typing this right now on my iPad connected to my Clear iSpot's 4G.

Wow.. Thanks for the info. I asked on this forum a while back and was told a 3G iPad wouldn't work with 4G... It's nice to know the iPad can use 4G, because there is a local carrier that is supposed to be introducing 4G next month... I guess I'll be moving over to them.

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad cannot do 4G without the proper hardware. If you are seeing faster speeds that is just your 3G being maxed out. IT IS NOT 4G!

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad cannot do 4G without the proper hardware. If you are seeing faster speeds that is just your 3G being maxed out. IT IS NOT 4G!

I kind of thought that... It makes sense that a 4G network would 'fall back' to support 3G devices... (There are a lot of them out there).

Most reactions

Latest posts