What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4G and IPAD in Aust

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is correct. However the iPad 3 does gain performance on 4g networks on Australia compared to 3G and iPad 2.

Considering 4g is only available with in 5 kl if each city to me at least it is a non event

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
col.bris said:
That is correct. However the iPad 3 does gain performance on 4g networks on Australia compared to 3G and iPad 2.

Considering 4g is only available with in 5 kl if each city to me at least it is anon event

Agreed!

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to avoid confusion the 4g freq that USA use is taken by emergency services in Australia and will not be changed so any device designed for Australia and other counties using that freq will only work in those countries the next generation iPads should be correct. Keep in mind that means if you travel around the world with an Australian 4g device like iPhone 5 it will only work in 3G on other countries. One has to be careful purchasing mail order or overseas for Australia because those models may not work. In summary 3G is world wide 4g is by zones and there are 3 different zones world wide
Reference apple. http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

On my iphone 5 I am using 4 g with in 5 kl of Brisbane , the Gold Coast strip and ipswich 28 to 35 mb per sec down load Every where else it drops to about 5mb per sec depending on location.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is the version of iPhone 5 made for the following countries that are supported on 4 g. The next generation iPads will most likely follow with 3 different world wide models. This does not apply to wifi only iPads.

Model A1429
(GSM model)
1 (2100 MHz)
3 (1800 MHz)
5 (850 MHz)
GermanyDeutsche Telekom

United Kingdom EE (soon to launch)

Australia
Optus (including Virgin)
Telstra

JapanSoftbank

Korea
SK Telecom
KT

Hong KongSmarTone

Singapore
M1
SingTel

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One more thing...... If you have a current iPad 1, iPad 2 or iPad 3 wifi and even any 3G iPad and live within 4g zones in the cities in Australia that are supported then purchase a Telstra Mi Fi portable 4g modem. One can connect up to 5 devices including printers that support AirPrint. The modem will drop to 3g speeds out side of the current 4g network. Cost around $149 inc 5 gb of data prepay.

Telstra Pre-Paid Wi-Fi 4G

With 5GB data included for use in Australia within 30 days.

You're looking at Australia's fastest mobile Wi–Fi device. With Telstra Pre-Paid Wi–Fi 4G you can connect up to five people or devices at once – such as laptops, smartphones, tablets and printers. Best of all, you can take it with you wherever you go and get fast and easy mobile access to the worldwide web.

Allows you to connect up to 5 Wi-Fi enabled devices such as a tablet, laptop or PC
Typical 4G download speeds between 2Mbps and 40Mbps and upload speeds between 1Mbps and 10Mbps in 4G coverage areas
Outside 4G areas, the device automatically switches to our fastest available 3G speeds
Compact and lightweight device with a LED display
Up to 4 hours battery life (100 hours standby)
Recharge Rates

"Aside from impressive 4G speeds where available, the best feature of the pre-paid Wi-Fi 4G's design is the LED screen. It displays information including signal strength, the number of devices connected, a battery level indicator, how long a connection has been active for, the network type and the default SSID network name."Read the full review here
Things you need to know
Typical download speeds of 2Mbps to 40Mbps are available in all capital CBDs (meaning within 5km from GPO), associated airports and selected regional locations (meaning 3km from regional town centre). Outside these areas, 4G capable devices will automatically switch over to Telstra's advanced High Speed Packet Access or HSPA enabled 3G network and speeds will less. If multiple users access the Wi-Fi devices, the typical speed range per user will be less. Actual speeds vary due to factors such as location, distance from the base station, local terrain, user numbers, hardware & software configuration and download source/upload destination.

This information is provided to assist new iPad users only as a guide. I suggest you research your options with your carrier of choice in Australia.

Abrennan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.eyepadulation.com
I visited Telstra to ask about the 4g sim for the new iPad. They told me they had no knowledge of what sim size the 4g iPad would come with. I have since read that the new 4g iPad will have the same sim size as iPad 3 which is the micro sim and not the nano sim that I believe is in the iPhone 5.

The staff at Telstra also told me that if the sim was the same size I didn't need to buy a new sim to gain access to the 4g network. They said the access to 4g was enabled by the iPad device so I could just swap my sim from 3 into 4 and when in 4g areas I would have access to those speeds.

Can anyone confirm these things or add to the discussion in some way, thanks.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Abrennan said:
I visited Telstra to ask about the 4g sim for the new iPad. They told me they had no knowledge of what sim size the 4g iPad would come with. I have since read that the new 4g iPad will have the same sim size as iPad 3 which is the micro sim and not the nano sim that I believe is in the iPhone 5.

The staff at Telstra also told me that if the sim was the same size I didn't need to buy a new sim to gain access to the 4g network. They said the access to 4g was enabled by the iPad device so I could just swap my sim from 3 into 4 and when in 4g areas I would have access to those speeds.

Can anyone confirm these things or add to the discussion in some way, thanks.

They are correct in saying the iPad would access the 4g network, as it is the radio hardware that does the connecting, the SIM is merely the "key" that gains you access to the Telstra network.

Most reactions