What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.3.1 USB camera kit issue

swamzi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I jailbroke using redsnow to 4.3.1. I tried connecting my compact flash reader with the USB camera kit. I got an error "connected USB device uses too much power". I did not have this problem with 3.2.1
Has anyone else had this issue?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, this is a common problem. It's a real shame you didn't search for this before you upgraded. There was lots of chat on the internet about it.

It is NOTHING to do with the jailbreak by the way.

Apple dropped the voltage supplied to the Camera Kit when they switched from 3.x to 4.x. This has caused a great deal of frustration as hard drives, flash drives, and other devices which did work OK are no longer any use...

Afraid there is no way to resolve it at the moment that I know of. The only solution if you MUST use that device is to downgrade back to a 3.x firmware if you are able. But that is not a very good long term solution and IMHO you lose a lot of functionality...

Hope that helps.

OP
S

swamzi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, its funny, I realized that I didn't use my USB camera kit for months. After this morning of trying to download photos off my CF card, I searched the web and realized that I am not alone in this issue.

Any word if this issue is fixed on 4.3.2?

As always, thanks for the info.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, as I said, a fix is not likely unless a lot of people complain to Apple. The problem is, the CCK is probably doing exactly what Apple wanted it to do. It will connect a camera to the USB slot because all cameras are powered. It also connects most SD cards to that adapter.
What it no longer does is connect hard drivers, CF adapters etc unless they are powered. Apple will say that it was never intended for this...

Not much hope of a hack as far as I understand it. You can't easily change the voltage supplied to components on IOS. It's handled at quite a low level in the OS. There is no simple hack.

Sorry if that is not the news you were looking for!

OP
S

swamzi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even though my CF carder failed to work, my Canon SLR camera was able to connect to the ipad for importing photos over USB which was slower than the card reader. Not the best solution, but definitely not the worst.

Most reactions

Latest posts