What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3G or Wi Fi?

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I'm at home or somewhere else that has both Wi Fi and 3G available, how do I tell which one my iPad is actually using at a given moment? I'm at work now and there's a free public site listed next to Wi Fi under Settings but it says AT&T 3G at the top in the black bar. Does that mean it's using up 3G time instead of Wi Fi which I obviously don't want?

Also, in Settings under General>Usage...are the numbers next to "Sent" and "Received" my totals for how much 3G I've used up?

Reaction score
idave23 said:
If I'm at home or somewhere else that has both Wi Fi and 3G available, how do I tell which one my iPad is actually using at a given moment? I'm at work now and there's a free public site listed next to Wi Fi under Settings but it says AT&T 3G at the top in the black bar. Does that mean it's using up 3G time instead of Wi Fi which I obviously don't want?

Also, in Settings under General>Usage...are the numbers next to "Sent" and "Received" my totals for how much 3G I've used up?

Yes, the usage indicates how much 3G has been used.

As to whether 3G or wifi is used. If you are connected to both, then wifi is used. So if you see both the 3G signal bar strength and the wifi strength (the volume like symbol)m than wifi is used. If however, it only shows the vertical bars, than 3G is used.

Keep in mind, that the iPad auto connects to known networks, but it doesn't automatically connect to unknown wifi networks, not even if they require no password.

OP
I

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, the usage indicates how much 3G has been used.

As to whether 3G or wifi is used. If you are connected to both, then wifi is used. So if you see both the 3G signal bar strength and the wifi strength (the volume like symbol)m than wifi is used. If however, it only shows the vertical bars, than 3G is used.

Keep in mind, that the iPad auto connects to known networks, but it doesn't automatically connect to unknown wifi networks, not even if they require no password.
OK, under "Choose a Network" I chose the Free Public WiFi and it's listed next to Wi-Fi under settings but I only see the signal bar strength and AT&T 3G at the top. Does that mean I'm not using the Wi Fi network? If not, how do I make that happen?

TSL88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I normally do when I'm using Wi-fi I turn off the cellular data and when I'm not near Wi-fi I'll turn it back on and use the cellular data

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
What I normally do when I'm using Wi-fi I turn off the cellular data and when I'm not near Wi-fi I'll turn it back on and use the cellular data

There is absolutely no reason to do this!

If a wifi signal is present and the ipad is connected, it will always use this over a 3g connection. Even if the 3g is a stronger/faster signal.

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DefBref said:

If a wifi signal is present and the ipad is connected, it will always use this over a 3g connection. Even if the 3g is a stronger/faster signal.

I guess it would save some battery by disabling the 3G raddio altogether though... Not something that I would do myself, but I can see folks who are worried about battery life disabling 3G when not needed...

Although, if you disable the 3G radio, then you wouldn't receive any phone calls either, right??

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
That is correct. Not that I receive all that many phone calls on my iPad, even with 3G on, but hey, who knows, maybe someone figures out a way to add Phone to the iPad :D

The image of a person with iPad stuck to ear is too funny!

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
That is correct. Not that I receive all that many phone calls on my iPad, even with 3G on, but hey, who knows, maybe someone figures out a way to add Phone to the iPad :D

Ha! Hey, it's early (that's the only excuse I could come up with)! :-(

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I agree!

Reaction score
TSL88 said:

DefBref said:

SweetPoison said:

As was recently discussed in a similar thread:

When the iPad is awake, it uses Wifi over 3G, but when it is asleep, it uses 3G over wifi. This is just something to keep in mind, when leaving 3G on all the time.

Most reactions

Latest posts