What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3G iPad? Did you buy 3G data?

Ominx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are a number of reasons to get a 3G iPad over a Wifi only version. Obviously the option to buy 3G data when needed is a huge advantage, but the GPS antenna is also an attractive addition.

So I ask this... how many of you have a 3G iPad without cellular data? Also, now that AT&T will eliminate the $30 Unlimited data plan on June 7, are any USA users more likely to sign up now before the option disappears?

OP
O

Ominx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice! I did as well. I was going to wait a while before signing up for the $30 iPad 3G plan but once I completely analyzed my iPhone usage and the pricing change, I realized I will be able to downgrade both my wife's and I iPhone plans to $15/month ea. which will essentially save me $30 which can go towards the Unlimited iPad plan. I'm happy!

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We have a few 64GB + 3Gs but haven't had the need to take them out of the office yet. So the data plan hasn't been activated. A better option is to tether to your phone if you can.

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I signed up now before the option disappeared :)
2r6fale.png

That is quite a large signature that you have there.

OP
O

Ominx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We have a few 64GB + 3Gs but haven't had the need to take them out of the office yet. So the data plan hasn't been activated. A better option is to tether to your phone if you can.

I thought about this too, but in my case downgrading 2 iPhones to the $15 plan and adding the now almost obsolete $30 Unlimited iPad plan ;) is the same cost as tethering and a a lot more convenient. Now if you are tethering multiple devices that is another story.

Last edited:

Star56

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I activated my 3G despite having tethering available. I like to stream audio on my iphone and then use the unused 3G stream on the ipad for various other uses. Yeah I know...I am a geek :) I will keep unlimited on both devices as long as AT&T lets me!

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the unlimited data right at the 3G launch. I'm planning to get my wife a 3G later this month but she will benefit from the cheaper plan since we won't need 2 3G's with unlimited access. I will only sign her up as neeeded and it will be sporadic.

tail24

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't for first couple weeks because I'm almost always in a wifi area but fiancée wanted to shop while on a 3 hr ride so I added it and now will test for 2 months to see how much data I use.

adamh10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased 3G data even though I'm almost always in wifi areas just because I need to know that I am always connected just in case should the need arise.

I also use the GPS functions quite often with the iNavX application, which I use while boating with charts.

Teacher's Pet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased the 3G data plan. I'm usually in wifi areas, but I take my iPad with me everywhere. It's definitely worth 30 bucks a month to grab Lily (my girl's daughter named the iPad) and get in the truck and have access to all the features. If I'm shopping, I'll grab it and look up reviews to consider a purchase, or if I hear something on the radio I'll jump on iTunes and download the song or album before I forget.

Personally for me, the big appeal of the iPad is that it's so mobile, just grab and go. Having to be in a wifi location would take away from a lot of that convenience. Also, my girl and I chat throughout the day on AIM and I stay signed in to get the push notifications.

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the $30 plan the first day I got my iPad, but I will probably drop to the $25 plan since I only used about 550 mb last month.

Most reactions