What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$300 ipad 1 @ Verizon vs ipad 2 for $500

jhood2323

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As some of you know . I had the 16 gig white Verizon ipad 2 last week but sold it as I really just need wifi only and wanted to make a quick buck. In my time with the ipad 2. I noticed some speed improve over my old ipad 1(sold early this year) but nothing amazingly fast.Out of all 60+ apps I had none of them were graphic hungry except imovie.Browser speed were alittle(i do mean alittle) snappier. After all the hype about cameras. I realized I don't have any friends. WTF do I need facetime for lol.The weight reduction is somewhat noticeable but if you plan to slap this thing in an otter box. Your back to square one plus some.I opted to go on the hunt for a 16 gig wifi only ipad 2 but with the announcement of Verizon selling the originals for an extra hundred dollars off the already discounted prices. Its becoming real tempting to go back to the ipad 1 and wait for the ipad 3. I plan on getting the iphone 5 this summer .Which is where the $200 I save from buying the ipad 1 would go its a win/win situation. I have until tomorrow afternoon to decide. Help me

Last edited:
OP
J

jhood2323

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yeah thats what I leaning to.It just that nerd in me to have the newest and latest thing like I would be an outkast if I don't have it. I am by no means bashing the ipad 2. Hey I spent $673 on one last week. Its just ipad 1 with iphone 5 combo is better that ipad 2 with lg optimus v combo.

OP
J

jhood2323

iPF Noob
Reaction score
quick update
no stores have 16 gb anymore just 32 and 64. So now its ipad 2 16 gig or ipad 1 32/64 hmmmmmm decisions

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I would probably go for it. If u have already done the comparison, you know what you need and don't need. Another plus, if you sold your accessories, i1 accessories are cheeeaaaappp too. iPhone 5 will b a hotspot, ull be in good shape.

hoshnasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even though not exactly the same. My argument has been if you own an iPad First Gen, stick with it till Ipad 3. You will be rewarded for your tech discipline. iPad 2 is a bump but not enough to double dip your wallet for.

For your issue, I think a $300.00 iPad First Gen is a solid buy.

OP
J

jhood2323

iPF Noob
Reaction score
will be there tomorrow but question I bought angry birds seasons,imovie,garageband, and fruit ninja slice hd. I know imovie isn't compatible but if I jailbreak can I redownload it

OP
J

jhood2323

iPF Noob
Reaction score
quick update i just watch the year one video and keynote video and fell in love with ipad 2 again smh

SporkLover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad2 only feels marginally faster now, but in a few months when apps are designed to harness all that power, that extra computing power will become more apparent.

One thing it has already helped is playback of divx movies in third party players. Third party media players aren't given the luxury of access to hardware decode videos they have to completely rely on software decoding. On the iPad 1, watching high quality divx videos was nearly impossible because the lack of processing power meant the video playback was choppy. No longer an issue on ipad2.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad2 only feels marginally faster now, but in a few months when apps are designed to harness all that power, that extra computing power will become more apparent.

One thing it has already helped is playback of divx movies in third party players. Third party media players aren't given the luxury of access to hardware decode videos they have to completely rely on software decoding. On the iPad 1, watching high quality divx videos was nearly impossible because the lack of processing power meant the video playback was choppy. No longer an issue on ipad2.

Ipad1 XBMC. Flawless playback of 720p high profile h.264 videos in MKV format. Anything 720p and under plays like a dream. Trying to use some dumpy third party player that doesn't use hardware acceleration is stupid anyways, because what do you think is doing the processing of the video if its not the GPU? Yea, your CPU is frying itself and reducing the heck out of battery life. Stick with XBMC wth full hardware decoding. It is amazing.

OP
J

jhood2323

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I noticed that while watching some Bree Olson movies

SporkLover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Streaming video is one thing.

I wanted a third party player because at the time most of my media was in divx format. DIvx can produce relatively high quality videos, with taking up huge amounts of space.

One of my few complaints about the iPad/iPhone/iPod touch. Loosen up the video format requirements.

Most reactions

Latest posts