What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd Generation iPad Pro 12.9 Reviews

How much overall difference do you notice from the 1st gen IPP 12.9 to this 2nd gen IPP 12.9?

• Display looks better

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Overall Speed is faster

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Scrolling is more fluid

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Pencil write/draws better overall

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Maybe slight improvements but I really don't notice anything in particular

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I didn't own the 1st gen IPP 12.9 but this one is a 10 on a scale of 1-10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I didn't own the 1st gen IPP 12.9 but this one is a 7-9 on a scale of 1-10

• I didn't own the 1st gen IPP 12.9 but this one is a 4-6 on a scale of 1-10

• I didn't own the 1st gen IPP 12.9 but this one is a 1-3 on a scale of 1-10 - Returning it!

• Total voters
OP
Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I still really like the True Tone for screen display and I don’t know if anyone else notices it but websites load consistently faster for me on this 2nd gen than on the 1st gen.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OT a bit regarding True Tone. I happened to run across a post somewhere of using the Nightshift mode on gen 1 to sort of duplicate the TrueTone on gen 2. I set my time to cover about 18 hours, set it to the tone I preferred (just barely) and it works okay--not the same, but it eliminates the bluetone for those that prefer to do that.

dave_bass5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used nightshift like than it in the past. I was trying to get the WB looking closer to my calibrated monitor. It did seem to make things look a bit better but of course it wasn't accurate.
Ive got used to true tone, and like what it does but I spend a lot of time editing photos on my iPad Pro, so I have to keep remembering to turn it off. I wish there was an easier way to toggle it on and off.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I used nightshift like than it in the past. I was trying to get the WB looking closer to my calibrated monitor. It did seem to make things look a bit better but of course it wasn't accurate.
Ive got used to true tone, and like what it does but I spend a lot of time editing photos on my iPad Pro, so I have to keep remembering to turn it off. I wish there was an easier way to toggle it on and off.
You can ask Siri to turn night shift on and off.

dave_bass5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, i meant turning True tone on and off. Nightshift is easy as you can do it from the control centre.
Ive never used Siri, I'd feel stupid using it.

Sandifords

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have also noticed the battery drain far slower on the 2nd generation iPad Pro (12.9"). I use for playing music and what would have used 30% of battery before is now less than 10% on the my new 2nd generation iPad.

Great I can now play all day without worrying about battery running out. I wonder if this is a result of the new variable refresh rate?

Another great benefit I have noticed is the brighter screen. Now no problem viewing out in the sun.

I loved my 1st generation iPad Pro, but the 2nd generation is definitely better still.

Yes, I agree, I've just bought 2nd generation iPad Pro ( 12.9), I had the original one, but was becoming rather slow and battery drain was dreadful, even using USB C lightning charger and cable. So far, my new one seems to have a much better battery, but otherwise not much difference to original, I do so love the 12.9 inch, should I risk IOS 11 upgrade???

Jonathan tuba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have updated to ios11 and have had no problems. It has made the iPad Pro even more flexible and useful. I particularly like drag and drop.

I would recommend ‘The Shelf’ as a useful new app for ios11 iPad Pro

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
. . .I would recommend ‘The Shelf’ as a useful new app for ios11 iPad Pro

There a several new shelf apps. I’m using Dropped myself, but will eventually check them all out.

I’ve also tried Pouch, but it’s key feature, the ability to rename files, seems to be broken. You can rename the file, but when you drag it into a new app it is name is “Unnamed”.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts