What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

16 or 32GB

FunkatronJive

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know there has been many posts about what size should I get but they didnt really help ME out...

Let me tell you what I will be using my iPad for and I would love to hear your suggestions... I know alot of people believe you should get what you can afford.... I was actually suppose to get an iPad2 when they went onsale with the launch of the new ipad... when I looked at the prices I felt $100 for the NEW ipad was way worth it... I ordered it without even telling my hubby (he was at work) till a number of hours later.. he wasnt mad of course, it was just $100... we arent really well off ....we dont have alot of cash to throw around for extra stuff. We do always have enough money for all of our food/bills... we own a house we always put a small amount into our savings each month.

I dont know if I plan on putting music on my ipad.. I have 23 songs on my iphone (16GB which 10GB is free).. I have speakers that I use to listen to my songs... I just like having new songs on it and I change them out often....... I didnt even KNOW you could put movies on an ipad so I am not sure if I would do that...

I wont be putting pictures from my iphone or camera on my ipad (not that I know of... if anything maybe a few, or just while we are on vacation as backup from my 8GB memory card and they would come off right when I get home). I do plan on taking pics with the ipad

I will be surfing the net ALOT, checking mail ALOT, watching youtube videos, maybe netflix...

I will be downloading apps but really only use the same 6 apps on my iphone.... maybe download some kids games.. if my husband had his way he would want more games on it, but its MINE LOL

Thats about it.. Im sure if I had more storage I would put more on it (i try to save space on my iphone)... but I am 3 hours from the closest apple store and I preordered....Apple says even if I go to that apple store (which I COULD go as early as saturday and hubby is on holidays next week) they might not exchange it for me since I ordered online.... i dont really want the hassle of sending mine back to apple and waiting till who knows when for apple to be able ot ship me a 32GB

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
From the sounds of your post, I would say you could be totally happy with 16GB. If you really feel that is true, then by all means just get teh 16GB. You can certianly make that work and the extra $100 could be put to better use elsewhere. For me, I would be struggling with 16GB....I get nervous when my space starts gettings low. :)

ticka1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will be a new Ipad owner as of tomorrow - I bought the 16GB - will that be enough - I have no idea since this is my first one. But if I run out of space I can sell this one and upgrade or wait until the next release happens. It will be a learning experience for me.

DJKNIGHT13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't forget you don't have to have everything on your iPad all at once. You can swop things around via iTunes. To the OP 16GB will be more than enough for your needs.

Last edited:

Patrizia_NC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have bought the 62.. I found my 32 became full quickly. You have to remember the newer apps take up a great deal of room as do the graphics..

Wmwelch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wouldn't stress about it. It sounds like 16GB will be sufficient for your needs.

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are going on a trip and you want to watch movies, you might run out of space. I put a movie on mine and only have 4.4 gb left. Many movies are about that size. If I bought again I would go with a 32gb model.

iLloyd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad 16gb is actually not even 14gb !!! 13.6 ish i think it is.

So bear that in mind ;)

Vertigo1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have bought the 62.. I found my 32 became full quickly. You have to remember the newer apps take up a great deal of room as do the graphics..

Jeez, anyone would think the apps will take around 5GB each!

Read the OP's post again, for her needs and uses, 16GB will be absolutely fine.

Vertigo1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are going on a trip and you want to watch movies, you might run out of space. I put a movie on mine and only have 4.4 gb left. Many movies are about that size. If I bought again I would go with a 32gb model.

What movies and in what format?

I encoded Avatar direct from Bluray through Handbrake and it came out at around 3GB for a 3hr film, so the vast majority would be under 2GB. Granted I encoded it to the 1024x768 resolution of the iPad2 and, if you wanted it at higher res for the iPad3 then it'd end up larger but no-one says you have to - 1024x768 material will still look just fine and as good as it would have on an older model.

dlam9946

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Look at it this way you never hear anyone complaining "ohh I wish I had gotten the 16, the 32 gig is way to much space" You hear the people who complain "ahh I should have gotten the 32gig because 16 isnt enough"

Plus its not like the programs, and apps are getting any smaller, they are getting bigger

Your never going to kick yourself for getting more. Get the 32 gig and dont look back.

dhevans_6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This article implies 16gb isn't going to cut the mustard for long: http://t.co/zFlQDI4A

I am a happy owner of an ipad2 16gb but will probably go 64gb this time.. I too thought I'd just surf and I heavily used my android phone for apps. You kind of gradually change and work out what you use it for, and that's when the apps really come into play.

You might want to wait and maybe save up for the 32gb one. Or end buying a bigger one in a year or two!

Whatever you decide you will be pleased with your purchase, they are great!

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One rule I always follow when it comes to computer stuff...buy the biggest & fastest model you can afford. There's no such thing as overkill in regards to memory, storage & speed these days...it's always good to have a little "security blanket" of storage space available. Plus if you know you have the space, you'll find a way to fill it! ;-)

iLloyd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dhevans_6 said:
This article implies 16gb isn't going to cut the mustard for long: http://t.co/zFlQDI4A

I am a happy owner of an ipad2 16gb but will probably go 64gb this time.. I too thought I'd just surf and I heavily used my android phone for apps. You kind of gradually change and work out what you use it for, and that's when the apps really come into play.

You might want to wait and maybe save up for the 32gb one. Or end buying a bigger one in a year or two!

Whatever you decide you will be pleased with your purchase, they are great!

Interesting read, thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts