What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

16 GB vs 32 GB

mwhartman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I plan on purchasing and iPad within the next few weeks. Primary usage
Web, Yahoo cards, games, photos, music, and e books. I'm trying to decide how much memory I need to purchase.

If I understand correctly, the internal memory is similar to a thumb drive/jump stick.

When I had my iPhone, I was able to move photos and music on and off the phone.

Once I purchases a book can the book be moved and stored on my MBP?
Can paid songs/albums be moved to and from iPad to MBP?

Thoughts and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Mike

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad works just like your iPhone did (it is pretty much just an iPod touch with a bigger screen after all). You can move music from iTunes to the iPad and you can move books from iTunes to your iPad. There is no need to keep everything on the iPad if you don't want to (or don't have room to).

I have the 16GB model and I probably have 12GB free still (owned about two months). But, I don't have any music on it and only a couple of videos. Most of my media is streamed to the device.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is a graphical representation of my 16gb iPad --

itunes29.jpg

My "inventory" consists of:

823 songs, some of which are full symphonies so they take up a lot more room than an "average" pop song. If I played all the music on my iPad non-stop, it would take over 3 days!

7 videos, only 1 of which is a full length feature film (The Hunt for Red October if you must know!) and the rest are short YouTube Videos and 1 half hour TV show. As you can see, videos take up A LOT of room!

635 photos

64 apps

45 books

...and I still have 5.6gb left!

As far as music, I have a lot more music that this in my iTunes library. You don't have to put all of it on your iPad and you can add or delete music from your iPad as often as you want and still keep it in your library. The same holds true for videos.

As far as books, they take up very little room to begin with. For books, I use the Kindle app and buy books from Amazon. The nice thing is that Amazon keeps a "library" for you so that if you delete a book off your iPad and want to read it again, you simply download it from your Amazon library so you won't have to pay for it again. I think the Barnes&Noble, Borders and iBooks system works the same way.

Hope this helps!

OP
mwhartman

mwhartman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave and 1991! Your comments do help. I had not realized that Amazon and perhaps others kept a "library" for customers. It appears that I should go with the 16GB and use the savings to purchase a case, book, and movies :)

Mike

BTW The Hunt for Red October is a favorite of mine as well.

tap50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I plan on purchasing and iPad within the next few weeks. Primary usage
Web, Yahoo cards, games, photos, music, and e books. I'm trying to decide how much memory I need to purchase.

If I understand correctly, the internal memory is similar to a thumb drive/jump stick.

When I had my iPhone, I was able to move photos and music on and off the phone.

Once I purchases a book can the book be moved and stored on my MBP?
Can paid songs/albums be moved to and from iPad to MBP?

Thoughts and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Mike

I always say get as much memory as you can afford. 16Gb may be good for now, but as apps progress then you may need more. I have a 16Gb version, but I would have gone with a 32 or 64 if I could have afforded one.

Todd

GiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Dave and 1991! Your comments do help. I had not realized that Amazon and perhaps others kept a "library" for customers. It appears that I should go with the 16GB and use the savings to purchase a case, book, and movies :)

Mike

I've got a 64GB, and I've gotta say, it's more than I need. I have it seriously loaded down with music and MANY full feature films...while it is nice not having to sync it to iTunes very often (your biggest benefit to more storage), you can get away with a lot less...especially if on a budget. I personally think that 32GB is the sweet spot...I think 16 is too little...but like anything, it all depends on you as the user...

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife swears she will kill me if she ever hears me say (in my best Scottish-Russian accent), "Hey Ryan, be careful what you shoot at. Most things in here don't react too well to bullets!"

hfro3.jpg

kitakits

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
ipad.moneyrichdad.com
I am thinking of getting an iPad too as one of businesses here in Edmonton requires that I have a portfolio with me at al times. An iPad may be expensive but will serve me best in the long run.

OP
mwhartman

mwhartman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My wife swears she will kill me if she ever hears me say (in my best Scottish-Russian accent), "Hey Ryan, be careful what you shoot at. Most things in here don't react too well to bullets!"

hfro3.jpg

Have you tried "One ping and one ping only" :)

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 64gb model and was happy I went with my usual philosophy of buying the biggest available. I have about 24gb of free space and will use that for some movies I watch. 16gb is Apples way of getting people hooked, and then selling those people another iPad when they discover the limitations.

GaurhothW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I saw a 900mb app the other day in the app store. I am sure it will not be the last or even the largest. Get what you can afford, but I would recommend the 32gb.

I was surprised how fast I filled up 12 of my 32gb and I have only had the ipad for a month :)

My wife's is a 16gb model, but she is a low tech user. She basically has a $500 Angry Birds and FlightControl box. ( I noticed she had landed 1200 planes in that game the other day. I am lucky if I make it to 100!!! )

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think there are two types of users for the iPad. The first group (of which I include myself) uses the iPad around the house mainly for media consumption and the occasional game. I don't need much in the way of local storage because I can count on my various PCs to do the heavy lifting for me. It is easier to stream music and videos than to go through the hassle of using iTunes to transfer everything to my device. I also have an iPod Touch which is a much superior music device for me because I can strap it to my arm or put it in my pocket. I can use my Ipod at work but trying to use an iPad would probably be one step too far.

The second group uses the iPad as an "on-the-go" device, so local storage is much more important. You can't count on streaming from your home PC reliably on the road, and video files in particular eat up space quickly. There are of course other options for media storage if you are willing to jailbreak, but that is for another topic.

So, decide on how you are planning to use the device and buy accordingly.

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 16gb 3G and it's enough space for me. I have about 1800 pictures, 500 songs, and have about 10gb left. It's too big for audio I think. Pefect for everything else.

Next time around I'm going with 32gb as my photo collection grows (got a puppy a few months ago)

Most reactions

Latest posts