What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

15K cash for a Car! Dealership or No?

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My daughter got a loan for 15K from our credit union. Would you go to a dealership for a new car or Car Max? Not even sure anyone knows what Car Max is. Could be only here in Sacramento.:eek:

I know I have other questions....

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - my newly appointed Executive Avatar Manager is doing a fine job. I'm just waiting for the tab.....:(

Tim

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd avoid CarMax. Best thing to do, imho, is to go to your trusted mechanic (or get referrals for one if you don't have one) to inspect any used car you're interested in picking up. Many mechanic shops actually sell cars.

That said, 15k is a pretty great chunk to have ready to go. Consider checking a dealership for a certified pre-owned. I recommend Honda or Toyota for pre-owned. With that 15k approval, you'll have some serious bargaining power.

Reaction score
15k will get you a new 2011 Hyundai here with about 3k left over.
CarMax is ok if you get a good one but heaven help you if anything hours wrong during the warranty period.

Support Our Troops!!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from this Galaxy

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd avoid CarMax. Best thing to do, imho, is to go to your trusted mechanic (or get referrals for one if you don't have one) to inspect any used car you're interested in picking up. Many mechanic shops actually sell cars.

That said, 15k is a pretty great chunk to have ready to go. Consider checking a dealership for a certified pre-owned. I recommend Honda or Toyota for pre-owned. With that 15k approval, you'll have some serious bargaining power.

That is what my daughter wants, and already has, is a Toyota or Honda. So you don't care for CarMax either...

I said the same thing about some bargaining power ~ her loan is from our credit union. So basically, she is paying cash to whomever...

They like that, right?:eek:

15k will get you a new 2011 Hyundai here with about 3k left over.
CarMax is ok if you get a good one but heaven help you if anything hours wrong during the warranty period.

Support Our Troops!!!
Sent from this Galaxy

Wow. Good to know, Mark! Thanks!

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Every time I buy a car I find it useful to just read over the latest Consumer Reports Auto Buying Guide for that year. It invariably ends up leading me to a more informed choice. Good Luck!

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is what my daughter wants, and already has, is a Toyota or Honda. So you don't care for CarMax either...

I said the same thing about some bargaining power ~ her loan is from our credit union. So basically, she is paying cash to whomever...

They like that, right?:eek:

Sometimes they do. On one hand it takes a lot of hassle and guesswork out of it for both them and you, so they appreciate the streamline approach. On the other hand, some dealers get kickbacks from their in-house financing team.

I don't honestly know the markups for cars, otherwise I'd give you my family's dual tradition of haggling down.

If anything, just go in with a budget and a set of expectations for cars. One of the reasons I really like certified pre-owned is that many dealers will post them on their website. You can often end up finding the car you like sitting in your pajamas then going in and buying it the next day. That's how I got my car of the last 6 years.

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Know nothing about cars really, but I would follow the advice of an earlier post, and if you can get a brand new car with money to spare then that's a bargain in my books.

Sent from my beloved iPad 2 using iPF...... All For One And One For All.

Reaction score
Know nothing about cars really, but I would follow the advice of an earlier post, and if you can get a brand new car with money to spare then that's a bargain in my books.

Sent from my beloved iPad 2 using iPF...... All For One And One For All.

I live in Virginia, she lives in Colleeforneeya. The prices and taxes I'm sure are different so she probably wouldn't have the 3k left over.

Support Our Troops!
Sent from wherever I'm at right now via my iTablet

Harley man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This right up my alley I am a auto repair tech / shop owner with years 30 years of experience . There are a lot of good used cars out there but get them checked out by your mech . I would stay clear of used car Dealers . Most are rats that would screw over there mothers for a sale. A new car dealer that's sells used car is a safer bet but still get it check out . By a pro . But if I were you I would buy a new left over car the new 2012 cars come out in July so you can get left 2011 at a deal because it is now a left over if you have a little time this is your best bet to work a good deal .

from USA bucks county pa Sent from my iPad using iPF

Rog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Certified cars are hogwash that dealers invented to charge higher prices.

Used car prices are higher than they have been in years.

Best advise is compare like vehicles for pricing, craigslist, auto trader, nada, edmunds.com, kbb.com anywhere else you can find.

Get it checked out by a friend or ASE Master Tech (of which I was 20 years ago) with at least 10 years experience.

For craigslist shopping, an extremely clean car is usually a well maintained car ( in my experience but there are exceptions, dealerships always clean used cars so it doesn't apply for them) but get it checked out.

Whatever car you decide on research it online for common problems and repairs.

My friend has a 2007 convertible bug that the electric window quit working (not under warranty). It's a common problem with new beetles and costs around 800 bucks every time the dealer fixes a window. The new window motor has to be "programmed" by the dealer so it will be recognized by the vehicle. Welcome to the digital age friends.

Be careful, your best weapon is to be informed.

Never buy on the first visit.

Car salespeople are NOT your friends.

I've had an idea for an iOS app for used car buyers with a checklist but that's another story.

Good luck and have fun with it.

Sent from my huge iPod touch via IPF.

Most reactions

Latest posts