What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zaggmate keys not working

greyhound8267

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using the Zaggmate keyboard with my IPad. I have only used it a few times after I charged it full. Today, several of the keys did not work when I pressed them. Other keys, when pressed, appeared on my IPad fine, but for example, the "q,w,e,r" keys did not work. Any advice on how to fix this? I am charging it again but it is showing a full charge. Hmmmm....

KatieMul

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am experiencing the same problem. I had my ZAGGmate for a couple of weeks when the left shift key stopped working. Now, neither shift key works and I've just noticed that neither the UP arrow or LEFT arrow are working as well.

I've sent an email to ZAGG support and received a prompt reply, suggesting that I run any outstanding updates on my iPad and then "FORGET" the ZAGGmate Bluetooth connection and rediscover it, then reboot both devices. Have down this but the problem still exists. Have now sent another email to ZAGG and will see what they say.

Kathy

Rusty Robot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Keys not working

I've been experiencing this same issue. Random set of keys do NOT work even though I:

1. Re-paried the device. Deleted it from bluetooth, reset the keyboard and (off/on) bluetooth and re-paired it to the iPad.

2. Updated the iPad to the newest iOS.

3. Charged the device.

4. Tried every possible combination to fix this issue.

Basically, this is my second one, the first one had the SAME problem and Zagg basically said it was faulty and to replace it. I however, no longer have the receipt so I can not return it a second time. Very disappointed with Zagg on this one. Especially since they make great iPhone screen protectors.

It's almost like the bluetooth antennae is so weak it can't support all the keys (on pairing) at once? IDK...

KatieMul

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FIXED: ZAGGmate keys not working

OK....

So I emailed ZAGG support and they got back to promptly.
Asked me to connect my iPad via USB cable to my computer and install latest updates, then reboot, "forget" the ZAGGmate Bluetooth device, reboot both devices, then reconnect the ZAGGmate keyboard.

I did this, but still the left and right shift keys did not work (as well as the UP and LEFT arrow keys). I emailed ZAGG again and they assessed it as a hardware problem, instructed me to return the keyboard for warranty replacement. (ZAGG requires my credit card number in advance to process this). My keyboard is, in fact, less than a year old so qualifies for the warranty, I suppose, but I live in Canada and bought it in the US on a business trip. So, I sent another reply and asked if they would be able to process the warranty to a Canadian address using a Canadian credit card...

While waiting for the reply (three days now)... I went out and bought a can of compressed air .
Sprayed the shift keys (with the power off) and the right shift key and up arrow key both started working again almost immediately!

The left shift key and left arrow key took awhile longer...

I shut off the power and gave a few shots of air several more times. finally, I shut off the power and turned the keyboard upside down, holding with one hand, and banged it onto the heel of my other hand.... And... That fixed the problem.

So, it seems that the ZAGG keyboard may be particularly susceptible to getting fine bits of particles under the shift keys.

Given that others on this forum have had this problem reoccur with successive keyboards obtained via warranty replacement ... I think I'll stick with my original keyboard for now and keep a can of compressed air handy.

Hope this helps others out there with the same problem.

Cheers.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for this great tip. I don't have the ZAGG keyboard, but I have a folding Bluetooth keyboard that has experienced similar problems. Because the keyboard folds, there is a short length of ribbon cable that connects the left and right-hand sides of the keyboard and that connects to the main PCB via a ribbon-cable 'clamp-style' connector. I found that this connector sometimes comes 'loose' and I have to press the top of the connector firmly back into place and - voila - everything works again.

I'm always amazed, given the 'punishment' that keyboards receive and their exposure to the 'elements' that we don't get more problems of this sort.

Thanks again, though, for a great tip...

Tim

travisjohnson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same problem - bad workmanship

I have the exact same problem- "q, w, e, r" not working. I just got this keyboard, you would have thought that they would have addressed this issue given previous complaints.

I am using the Zaggmate keyboard with my IPad. I have only used it a few times after I charged it full. Today, several of the keys did not work when I pressed them. Other keys, when pressed, appeared on my IPad fine, but for example, the "q,w,e,r" keys did not work. Any advice on how to fix this? I am charging it again but it is showing a full charge. Hmmmm....

travisjohnson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same problem - bad workmanship

I have the exact same problem- "q, w, e, r" not working. I just got this keyboard, you would have thought that they would have addressed this issue given previous complaints.

Jeeter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Compressed Air worked for me to get the delete and return buttons to work. thanks

KatieMul

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ZAGGmate susceptible to grit under keys

Compressed Air worked for me to get the delete and return buttons to work. thanks

Glad it worked for you Jeeter.

Just FYI, cleaning got my ZAGGmate working for awhile, but the problem kept recurring. I finally had mine replaced. Keep an eye on it and you may want to consider getting yours replaced while it's still under warranty, then take extra precautions to keep it clean.

Cheers,
K.

hung21c

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks KatieMul, it's worked for me. I don't have compressed air but I blowing into the gap of keys and it's working again.

Ned7078

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you; your post was very helpful. Several keys on my ZAGG keyboard quit working. After reading your post, I tipped my keyboard over and knocked on it with the knuckles of my hand. After third knock, the keyboard worked again. Thanks!

Hexxiteqqit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Knocking my Zagg keyboard on my knee from time to time fixes the issue. I am typing this comment with it. I've had it for a few years and use it on my iPad Air 2.

Most reactions