What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ZaggMate iPad case vs. Zagg Folio case w/ BlueTooth keyboards

jpear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Debating between a ZaggMate case (brushed aluminum) or the newer ZaggFolio case---both w/ wireless keyboards for my new iPad (3Gen).
Anyone have either of these and if so...you are happy?

karen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both cases.

Zaggmate
* keyboard is cramped. I find I make alot of typing errors with the zaggmate.
* no protection for back of iPad (the aluminum *can* scratch unless you're very careful)

Zagg folio
* more space between keys, easier to type faster & more accurately
* protects back of iPad
* adds a little more weight but is super protective
* comfortable to use whether on your lap (as a laptop) or on a desk/table
* available in varying case and keyboard colors

I prefer the zagg folio. You may want to try both to see which works best for you. I believe Best Buy carries both.

panchucko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the ZaggMate case, and absolutely love it. Don't think I could have an iPad without one.
I do need to get some kind of back cover on the iPad though. Will have to research them, to make sure the iPad will still fit into the Zagg.

I carry my iPad around with me everywhere I go, and I feel confident enough that nothing will happen to the iPad. I am pretty careful.
My iPad like my iPhone, I don't want to add a lot of bulk to them. So the Zagg is good with me

skallal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This good to know. I had the Zagg mate in my first gen iPad and hated it. Just bought he Zagg Folio w/ keyboard for my new third gen iPad and it's a world of difference. I assumed it was the same keyboard, but now I know it's not.

adworsky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does Zaggfolio fit 1st Gen iPad?

Title says it all..: Does Zaggfolio fit 1st Gen iPad? Thx in advance

elking98

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Zagg Folio and I used to have the Zagg Mate and the Zagg Folio is just way better.

Zagg Mate:
-Cramped Keys
-Offers no protection to the back of the iPad
-Scrathes the back of the iPad

Zagg Folio:
-More space between keys
-Offers quite a lot of protection
-The iPad doesn't get scratched

On the whole the Zagg Folio is better. On top of this, the esthetics of the Zagg Folio are better, as it comes in different colors for the case and the keyboard and with adoption for being leather. I recommend the Zagg Keyboard for working and also for just writing stuff.

Last edited:

elking98

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Zagg Mate is for 1st Gen. iPad. However, the Zagg Folio was made for 2nd generation iPad, and thus works with 3rd generation, but does not support the first generation.

felix222

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How does one disassemble the ZAGGMATE? I've had mine for two years and it has been flawless . . . Until now. Somehow, either there is crud under the on/off switch or a possible break in the solder at the switch, but I' m having trouble switching it on. At first it was intermittent. Now, well, as you said, it is all but dead. Since it's well out of warranty, I might just disassemble it a try to repair it. I have come to rely upon it and, since it is discontinued and I still limping along with an iPad 1st gen, I can't just replace it.

Standing by,

felix222

Last edited by a moderator:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
MarkK,

How does one disassemble the ZAGGMATE? I've had mine for two years and it has been flawless . . . Until now. Somehow, either there is crud under the on/off switch or a possible break in the solder at the switch, but I' m having trouble switching it on. At first it was intermittent. Now, well, as you said, it is all but dead. Since it's well out of warranty, I might just disassemble it a try to repair it. I have come to rely upon it and, since it is discontinued and I still limping along with an iPad 1st gen, I can't just replace it.

Standing by,

felix222

I have now moved your post to this thread.

Most reactions

Latest posts