What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zagg Mate Idea, Issues

h1611161

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Al Rogers said:
You see, I told you they are a great company and support their products.
Well done Zagg.

Al.

I hope they can support people who are outside USA also

Sent from my iPad using iPF

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
realistdreamer said:
a simple way to prop the iPad 2 up to use the software keyboard

I haven't seen the new iPad or the new ZAGGmate, but this already exists for the current iPad and ZAGGmate. You just open the iPad support as normal and instead of placing in the notch you lay the bottom edge of the iPad against the aluminum at the front corners of the keyboard. This works great in landscape mode but in portrait mode the iPad is narrower than the cutout is wide and you are relying on the stiction between the back of the iPad and the neoprene inside the case to hold the iPad in place.

realistdreamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
realistdreamer said:
a simple way to prop the iPad 2 up to use the software keyboard

I haven't seen the new iPad or the new ZAGGmate, but this already exists for the current iPad and ZAGGmate. You just open the iPad support as normal and instead of placing in the notch you lay the bottom edge of the iPad against the aluminum at the front corners of the keyboard. This works great in landscape mode but in portrait mode the iPad is narrower than the cutout is wide and you are relying on the stiction between the back of the iPad and the neoprene inside the case to hold the iPad in place.

Good to know and makes sense. Problem solved.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kc2ped said:

Stiction?

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, I've found that once you get used to the ZaggMate, there is no going back to the on-screen keyboard! I LOVE being able to see the ENTIRE screen while typing (instead of the soft-keyboard hogging up half of the screen real-estate)!

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The buttons are tiny though, smaller than the ipad's on screen keyboard, but I guess you have to fit a keyboard in a case.

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You'd be surprised at how fast you get used to the keyboard. I can just about type full-speed on my ZaggMate now... The arrow key placement was the hardest to get used to!

Like I said, to me, the biggest advantage is that the soft-keyboard doesn't take up so much screen real-estate when typing now!

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jtrosky said:
You'd be surprised at how fast you get used to the keyboard. I can just about type full-speed on my ZaggMate now... The arrow key placement was the hardest to get used to!

Like I said, to me, the biggest advantage is that the soft-keyboard doesn't take up so much screen real-estate when typing now!

That is a big plus for me too. I will ask my teacher if I can use it tomorrow.

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
Yeah, I've found that once you get used to the ZaggMate, there is no going back to the on-screen keyboard! I LOVE being able to see the ENTIRE screen while typing (instead of the soft-keyboard hogging up half of the screen real-estate)!
And you don't have to toggle the screen keyboard to get to the numerals. But there are still times when I don't want to drag the hard keys around. I think a lot has to do what use you're going to make of the iPad on a particular "outing."

Someone hasn't heard of "stiction?"!!!

h1611161

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Al Rogers said:
You see, I told you they are a great company and support their products.
Well done Zagg.

Al.

i have been waiting for a response from ZAGG here and no luck
can you help me with an email address of ZAGG ? Please...

Reaction score
A hole for head phone jack would be awesome.
This is my first venture into technology not underneath a desk and the Zagg Mate has helped make the transition smoother .
I didn't know the ipad 1 isn't supposed to be in screen up when being used. Though a little clunky I am able to use it while mobile in that fashion vs trying to find a place for the cover .I have a leather book cover type case but the Zagg Mate is something I wouldn't have known to want had I not seen one.
Loving it

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved.

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
grayshark95 said:
Stiction?

Stiction = Static Friction
That is the force that makes it harder to start an object in contact in motion than it is to keep it in motion
Think of how much more energy it takes to start a refrigerator in motion (disregarding the fact that flow wax has glued it in place) than it is to move it after it starts moving

h1611161

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ZAGG said:
Let me start by saying, I'm glad you are loving your ZAGGmate. I want to add, I'm sorry for the defective power switch on your device. From the description you gave, it sounds like your power switch broke. You may exchange it at Best Buy or go through our customer service department.

Hi ZAGG, indeed in also have the same problem, and am not inside the USA. Will you also help me? For your info I bought two ofthem, one for my daughter and one for myself, and hers works perfectly. Please help

michaelplogue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Recently received my Zaggmante - typing on it now. Had it for about a week now and have a few observations to improve the product.

Among others, I believe that the iPad charge port cutout should be on the right hand side. When I use my iPad in any other 'stand' I always place the power and volume buttons to the top - with the charge port to the right. It's really the most logical position for landscape usage no matter how you look at it. I realize that protection of the volume button was the primary reason for the current configuration. Unfortunately, even if the user wanted to do so, the rubber lining along the edge would push in the power button - all the time. However, I think a simple compromise could be made that would allow those who want to use the case "bass ackwards" without having the power button being compromromised. Simply make a mirror image cutout for the power button in the rubber lining on the left hand side as well (something I intend to do myself with a little judicious surgery with an exacto knife). I would also recommend making a cutout for the charge port on the other side as well - to make the case more "ambidextrous" - though I can understand for aesthetics reasoning why you wouldn't want to.

Secondly - and most importantly: I find that the space bar is rather difficult to use. The front cutout and the quarter inch rubber 'shelf' in front of it are actually above the level of the space bar. Most touch typists - who specifically look for an external keyboard as touch typing on a screen is extremently difficult at any decent speed - are accustomed to resting their thumbs on the space bar. With the current configuration, this is simply impossible - as this bar obstructs the angle of the thumb while one's wrists are resting on the surface of a desk/table. The only compromise is to curl one's thumbs in an unnatural angle in order for them to be able to hit the space bar.

I don't know what the solution would be, as I understand that that rubber 'ridge' helps prevent foreign material from getting into the enclosed area when the cover is in place. However, I feel that this is an important enough issue to warrant further exploration. Personally, I would be happy with a deeper cutout in front of the space bar - even if it dosen't provide a perfectly 'sealed' covering. I think that if you tested this with some of your admin folks - who type for a living - they would very likely agree.

Although I generally use a separate stand for the iPad, I would recommend adding additional 'slots' in the base mount for the folding stand, so that users can adjust their viewing angle.

Lastly, I'm primarily a PC user - this is the first Apple product I've owned. So I'm not sure if this is standard for Apple keyboards, but what you're calling the Delete key - on standard keyboards - would be the backspace key, with a separate 'delete' key that removes characters from the other direction (if you get what I mean).

Otherwise, I'm overall happy with my purchase. It is somewhat difficult to type with at any decent speed (in regards to the space bar issue), but it's got a much better feel that the other bluetooth keyboard/case that I've tried so far. Although I generally dislike laptop-type keyboards (too small and lacking a sufficient amount of key motion range), it is still much better than trying to touch type on the iPad screen keyboard. There's certainly room for improvement, but for now I'd consider it the best on the market so far.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts