What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

YouTube was bad on iPad 1, how is it on iPad 2?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
A simple comparison between a pc and iPad both loading the same YouTube video. If it doesn't buffer on the pc, it would indicate that the Internet connection is not the issue.

On 3G YouTube is worthless and sadly even over WiFi it does not work to well on iPad 1. SD clips load fine, but most HD clips buffer after a couple of minutes.

I have just tried to replicate this, I tried 6 HD clips (2mins+ x 2; 5mins+ x 2; 10mins+ x 2). They all played fine buffering at roughly 1.25 to 1.5 x play speed.

Maybe if you know of a specific clip where this problem persists I could try it but try as I might I cannot get a YouTube clip to either stop or stutter on my iPad 1.

The Archangel

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
I have iPad 1 and I have never once experienced this......which makes we wonder how you know it is the iPad and not the network?

The Archangel

A simple comparison between a pc and iPad both loading the same YouTube video. If it doesn't buffer on the pc, it would indicate that the Internet connection is not the issue.

On 3G YouTube is worthless and sadly even over WiFi it does not work to well on iPad 1. SD clips load fine, but most HD clips buffer after a couple of minutes.

Have you tried the free speedtest app in the app store to see if someone is leeching your wifi....
My stats are
Download ~ 11.30 Mbps ~ wifi
Upload ~ 1.75 Mbps

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I should also say that the six clips I played were random HD clips, i.e. I have never played them before as I wanted to be certain, so I just searched for high def.

The Archangel

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OUTL4W said:
Have you tried the free speedtest app in the app store to see if someone is leeching your off your wifi....
My stats are
Download ~ 11.30 Mbps ~ wifi
Upload ~ 1.75 Mbps

I just did mine.....

Download 6.2
Upload 0.34

Sucks compared to yours but still ain't stuttering!

The Archangel

Reaction score

This is not true for me though. Mine works great! On wifi and 3G. After reading this thread I wanted to be sure.

I am.;)

On my Ipad 1 it's my signal. I've got dsl but if I go to places with faster wifi I get no buffering problems
dsl works fine on non hq videos, wish I could turn off hq like I do on my phone

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

This is not true for me though. Mine works great! On wifi and 3G. After reading this thread I wanted to be sure.

I am.;)

On my Ipad 1 it's my signal. I've got dsl but if I go to places with faster wifi I get no buffering problems
dsl works fine on non hq videos, wish I could turn off hq like I do on my phone

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

Oh. I see ~ I have to admit though, once I was just on 3G and the videos were not all that ~ just remembered that. I had just gotten my iPad and had not hooked it up with my Comcast.

What a difference that made.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe u need a better Internet connection....I've never had a problem with YouTube. Loads fast and plays beautifully since day one.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My YouTube was crap until I upgraded my connection. Now it's very smooth.

Btw anyone still still using MiTube? (believe it's the same as MxTube but apple pulled it due to unauthorised api's). Since last week it won't connect to you tube and I wonder if it's being blocked.

Reaction score
Today YouTube HD videos run without a hitch. Not sure why that is, because the last time I checked was last week and at that time videos, such as 'Assassins Creed Brotherhood Trailer' would pause multiple times.

My Internet certainly isn't the fastest with 5Mb/s down and 0.3Mb/s up. BT offers a trade-up to fibre-optics broadband for free, perhaps I will try that one day and see if it makes any difference.

OP
R

Ravynmagi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. Loving MxTube and I'll give YourTubeHD a look later.

Regarding my iPad 1 YouTube problems. I've googled the issue and see quite a few others are running into this and there have been a variety of fixes recommended, but none have worked for me.

* Using static DNS, such as Google's DNS servers.
* Using static IP address.
* Turning off autobrightness.
* Replacing wireless router (bought new WNDR-3700 802.11N).
* Turned of wireless encryption (turned it back on once confirmed it didn't help).

In addition I can watch YouTube on the mobile website just fine in HQ without any buffering. Likewise YouTube works fine on the PC and NookColor tablet on the same wifi network. Speed test (16Mb/5Mb) shows I'm fine.

I tried it all, nothing could resolve it.

Hopefully the iPad 2 isn't like the iPad 1, where some (maybe even most) are fine with the YouTube app, but for unexplainable reasons others will still have trouble with it. *shrug*

Most reactions

Latest posts