What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

YouTube music videos... Seriously???

S10T10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, one of the very first things I noticed when using YouTube on the my iPad is that nearly all music videos just don't appear. You can't watch them, they don't appear when you search. This annoys me no end, for two reasons:
1) Youtube's very useful for being able to watch new music
2) I hate feeling as if I'm being 'babysat' - either let me use the REAL YouTube, you know, the one that everyone else uses, or get rid of it, don't present me with a watered-down version!

But the weirdest part is that I did a Google search and this 'issue' seems to be barely discussed, barely mentioned at all! There were a few threads with some limited discussion and guesswork, most dating back more than a year, and nowhere could I see an actual believable answer (one thread speculated that music videos were in some different, unreadable, format).

So perhaps this is just old news, common knowledge, but for me it's very frustrating not knowing the answer. Can any help me?

Thanks.

Chantelle310

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree this is very frustrating. A lot of videos don't support iPad playback I did find that downloading the vevo app was a little bit of a substitute in some cases but still doesn't do enough of a job to solve the problem.

Sent from my White iPad 3rd Gen. 32gb using Tapatalk

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad supports only some of the dozens of video formats. Youtube has put a large number of videos into tablet friendly format, but not all. The criteria for inclusion is suppose to be popularity, but that means new videos may be left out, as I see it.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I joined YouTube with the intention of uploading videos, I was given the option of joining the then-new HTML5 program.

All of my videos work on iPad.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

Crspang

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's obvious to me that since Apple sells music videos that they wouldn't want you to be able to view them for free.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Steve Jobs hated Adobe Systems, so Flash does not work under iOS. There's no Flash app, either. Most older and many newer YT videos are Flash-only, so they do not, cannot work on iPad. This has nothing to do with utility or popularity, it's simply a vendetta.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It has every thing to do with flash being a buggy, security-hole ridden piece of code that needed to die. Long live flash!

autumnbaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Download the vevo app, that is how I watch music videos on my idevices. Vevo usually is the ones putting up the official videos on YouTube anyways.

Chantelle310

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most older and many newer YT videos are Flash-only, so they do not, cannot work on iPad. This has nothing to do with utility or popularity, it's simply a vendetta.

This is super annoying.. Always seems to be the videos I really want to watch that don't work on my iPad.

Sent from my White iPad 3rd Gen. 32gb using Tapatalk

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is super annoying.. Always seems to be the videos I really want to watch that don't work on my iPad.

You have some choices.
1) dump your iPad and get an Android
2) use a PC, laptop, or MAC
3) get Youtube downloader, download the videos, convert them to iPad format, then copy them over
4) get the app mentioned by another poster in this thread.

Chantelle310

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have some choices.
1) dump your iPad and get an Android
2) use a PC, laptop, or MAC
3) get Youtube downloader, download the videos, convert them to iPad format, then copy them over
4) get the app mentioned by another poster in this thread.

1) it doesn't annoy me enough to ever switch to android.. Its just not for me
2) if im at a pc at the time then i always opt to use youtube via the web
3) too much messing around for my liking id much rather just watch via pc.
4) i use that app regularly too and its great for watching popular artitst music videos thats all.

Was just putting my two pence in.. Other than whats listed above i actually like the youtube app and use it daily.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
1) it doesn't annoy me enough to ever switch to android.. Its just not for me
2) if im at a pc at the time then i always opt to use youtube via the web
3) too much messing around for my liking id much rather just watch via pc.
4) i use that app regularly too and its great for watching popular artitst music videos thats all.

Was just putting my two pence in.. Other than whats listed above i actually like the youtube app and use it daily.

Sounds as if we are in total agreement! :) (well, I do use Android, but I'm not giving up my iPad!) (ok, I do use the youtube downloader, but only for the ones I really, really like).

Chantelle310

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds as if we are in total agreement! :) (well, I do use Android, but I'm not giving up my iPad!) (ok, I do use the youtube downloader, but only for the ones I really, really like).

I considered picking up a nexus just to have a play around with but i think ill wait till i can pick a used one up cheap. I also use pro tube on both my phone and iPad to save my favourite videos to watch whilst not on wifi.. Im happy with that :)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I considered picking up a nexus just to have a play around with but i think ill wait till i can pick a used one up cheap. I also use pro tube on both my phone and iPad to save my favourite videos to watch whilst not on wifi.. Im happy with that :)

I may check out pro tube. Thanks.

Most reactions