What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

youtube doesn't work in Ipad

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK! . . .
Replaced my old Linksys BEFW1154 with a D-Link DIR615.
This D-Link is at the lower end of current D-Link N routers.
(Seems like availability is fading away.)

Result: - - - It Worked Great!!!
All my video works great now. YouTube. ABCPlayer, etc.
No more play for 3 seconds, pause for 15.

So, yes. It appears that upgrading to any wireless N router was what was needed to fix this behavior for my iPad.
You can find some pretty inexpensive ones.
I got mine for $43. But this same one is available at NewEgg now for $45 total .. free shipping.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very helpful stever and may I say informative too. It seems now that for our iPad to play YouTube faster is to also to upgrade our router.
Thanks!

mlechman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had this issue with my 1st gen iPod touch, my iPhone 3G and now my brand new iPad. I don't have the same problem watching youtube when using the 3G cell connection on the iPhone, so I think it's a router issue. I am using the first Airport Extreme base station Apple made, the one shaped like a UFO, so it's 802.11g. I wonder if that's the issue. Anyway, three different iOS devices and they all suffer from the same problem. (well since I can't update the touch to 4.0 it's technically still iPhone OS not iOS I suppose)

Silver217

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi,
i live in the netherlands and yuotube works fine.
i have a Draytek vigor 2800g router, many years old, good wifi at home.
BUT, now i am in the sugar palm hotel in phuket thailand an youtube does
not work, the hotel has blocked it, also torrent sites and who knows what else.

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On my iPad, dowload is too slow to stay aheaad of the stream, thus it pauses, both in safari and the youtube app.
Connecting thru a new Airport Express on N. Measured speed with the app posted earlier 3 times with results from 7.5mbps to 14mbps.
Same video on my Verizon Touch Pro 2 connected via G on Linksys wrt120n does not pause at all, and the download appears to be about 2.5x the playing speed.
So those results are in conflict. An N connection thru a new router with a high measured speed stutters on the iPad, but not on a good G connection on a phone, thru same cablemodem.
For a quick comparison, I was able to stream VevoHD and Netflix with no problems on the iPad thru the same connection.

Most reactions