Your favorite stylus - here's mine

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by jmantze, Jan 20, 2011.

1. jmantze

jmantze iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Before I bought my iPad I had looked at many reviews and online commentaries about iPad users favorite accessories. Having a good workable stylus was important to me as one of the main functions of my iPad would be using it with art apps.

What Styluses have you bought and liked or didn't like?

Here's the details on the styluses shown in the photo. Stylus A - Dagi model P501 (length 5" - Dagi.com). Stylus B - Griffin (length 4.25" - Amazon.com). Stylus C - BoxWave (length 4.25" - Amazon.com). FYI - all of these stylus's are OK. The BoxWave and Griffin are the same except for a nylon lanyard, the metal pocket clip is nice if your traveling. I prefer the Dagi for use with drawing/paint apps, but it's plastic pocket clip is rather flimsy and could allow the stylus to be lost. I do like the Dagi's feel in my hand and it's responsiveness with art apps.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  2. Spink10

Spink10 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Why do you say the boxwave is ok? It's only my list to buy soon. Thanks!
  3. chowdown

chowdown iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Griffin = Targus =just about the same as Boxwave.

The Dagi, hey? That's a hard plastic tip, no. Do you use it without a screen protector? I was interested in it for a while because its design seemed to give you more precision in where to gauge where the tip is.

But I've become pretty accustomed to working with the Targus' stubby tip.
  4. 71wrd

71wrd iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I use the Boxwave and really like it. I tried one with an angled tip (can't remember the name) and really couldn't get used to it.
  5. HUNTER1

HUNTER1 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I will not buy the box case anymore, tip came off after couple of months. I just got the
    A case for few bucks ana works great and I have screen protector.
  6. slothead

slothead iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Same here...
  7. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +635 / 0
    I'm a fan of the boxwave, but might try the Dagi now...
  8. Alxc9

Alxc9 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Stylus.

I use a pen/stylus combo by Hard Candy. Go to their website. Theyare pretty cool.
  9. jmantze

jmantze iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry about the delay in getting the photo up - I was trying to make it work off a link on Flickr but it wouldn't go. This photo is linked off of my Zenfolio photo sharing site.

Here's a link to my first iPad/ArtRage images at my Zenfolio site

I've have seen other reviews which also said that the Targus was the same as the Griffin and Boxwave. They sure look like they all come out of the same factory because on close inspection the Griffin and Boxwave are identical. They have a smooth metal barrel and a soft rubber tip, and a nicely fashioned pocket clip which makes it a good buy in my estimation.

About the tip on the Dagi stylus, it's made of a clear and slightly flexible plastic with smooth rounded edges so there's nothing that could scratch the screen. No, I don't use a screen protector and have not noticed any damage done by the Dagi. Sometimes I have to click a couple of times on small icons to get things to open, but that's a minor inconvenience when compared to how nicely the Dagi stylus works almost all of the time.

About the stylus made by Hard Candy, this looks exactly like one I saw at a local Mac store here in Portland, OR. I liked the size and feel of it, but that it didn't have a pocket clip was a deal breaker for me.

Thanks to everyone who posted comments - much appreciated...
  10. Djdan

Djdan iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For my vote, I have had the Targus for a month and a half and it's great! Really the success of it seems more app dependent than the styles itself (for example it takes to Penulitmate and Sketchbook extremely well - not so much on the lower quality apps).
  11. iPhoneKing

iPhoneKing iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have tried several Stylus pen before I got this one: Just-Mobile Alu Pen all aluminum pen. It is great with Penultimate application and others. It feels wonderful in your hand and the rubber tip is very precise for drawing, dragging and pointing. It is expensive but worth every penny. Go for it!!!:D
  12. mnshelt

mnshelt iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have found the perfect ipad combo: the zoo-gue smart case and the stylus-r-us stylus from beststylus.com. It by far trumps the other styluses that I have tried (POGO and Griffin). With other styluses that I have tried you have to push way to hard which fatigues your hand, especially if you use it for taking notes like I do. The stylus-r-us works with a very light touch and allows you to write as slow or fast as you want. My hubby and I are both students and use the ipad for taking notes, and we love it. We have both the "terminator" and the "entrepreneur" which are both extendable so you can use it at any length that's comfortable for you. They are more expensive, but for us has been well worth the extra money.
  13. pluto6

pluto6 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    +1. I have the "Jobs" and the Roger iWand and they are far superior to my Boxwave, which I still think is a pretty good stylus. The stylus -r-us is just a lot easier to use.
  14. Spink10

Spink10 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My stylus r us is coming - I'm getting a little jittery.
  15. Spink10

Spink10 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jack am I getting my stylus before my birthday? :)
  16. slothead

slothead iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I check this thread regularly and I Google for stylii regularly, and I have yet to find a stylus that has a sharp point that enables visibility good enough to draw very finely located lines (not "fine" lines, finely LOCATED lines) for precise positioning and good graphical representation. [Sorry for the run-on sentence.] Although no one has mentioned it, I have come to the conclusion that there must be something critical about the width of the point. (and personally I can't deal with the funky little target-on-clear-plastic design...)
  17. zorah

zorah iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I would say that it simply has to do with the capacitive screen as to why the points aren't finer. I wonder, for the more expensive Tablet PCs that have capacitive screens (full size notebooks), what kind of stylus they use? More like what they call a pen/digitizer? But I get the sense they have a narrow tip though, so something makes it different.
  18. 71wrd

71wrd iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I thought that because of the conductive nature of the contact required for a capacitive screen that there was a minimum diameter of contact required. I'm sure I've read that resistive screens are more accurate, but I must admit I think I've got used to the stylus and manage fairly accurate line drawing now.
  19. addiosamigo

addiosamigo iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    my 2 cents (as you americans say). I purchased a boxwave stylus from amazon, nice looking, feels just like a pen, great I thought.

Tried it out in brushes, hated it. now I don't know if this is just brushes (or just me) but trying to do a succession of quick lines results in the page zooming out, which is really annoying!

The Dagi looks like it could be a winner, so may order one, the aiming point seems to be a good idea, how responsive is this??

the Stylus are us looks promising too (I can't order both :() and I'm put off because it looks like my old pogo!

someone help me decide please...

I want to be able to take notes like I was using pem and paper (didn't get that experience with the boxwave) and draw,i'm not van gogh, (god a elementary kid could probably draw better than me) but again I want it to feel like i'm drawing

cheers!
  20. pluto6

pluto6 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    The stylus r us are NOTHING like the pogo... take a look at close up pictures in the "targus vs Stylus R Us" thread in this forum. I have not used the Pogo, but have several Stylus R Us, and the tips appear to be very heavy duty, and even if you are using them completely wrong (with heavy pressing - also making them not work as well due to dead spots), I doubt you could wear it out. And, Jack, who owns Stylus R Us, is one of the best people I have EVER dealt with WRT customer service. I believe that he has a 30 day money back guarantee... Check out his web site beststylus.com. I am a skeptic, and I can't say enough good things about Jack, or his products. My comparison stylus was a boxwave, and while I like the boxwave, and feel it to be a quality product, it is just not in the same league... Good luck with your decisions!