You still wonder why is LTE so important - Read this!

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by Milanno, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Lol. So it would be good to have 4G if we could turn it off, or if we live where we couldn't access it.

I have homes in two 4G cities and have resisted signing up. I have grandfathered unlimited 3G on iPad and iPhone, and I'm paying only a fraction of what new accounts cost.

I might bite the bullet and switch to 4G for a new Android phone that I really want, but not if battery life sucks. If it does suck, I might buy the non-U.S. model, which is 3G, even though I would have to pay more than double because there would be no U.S. carrier subsidy.

2. Milanno

Milanno
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Check this:

#22 Milanno, Feb 18, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  3. MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    right now if the iPad will have LTE is a toss up with it not having LTE being slightly more likely.

Apple has stated in the past that they don't want to jump into 4G until the chips have been used for some time and had most of the issues ironed out. Right now we are at the point where manufactures have now had a little more than a year, maybe a year and a half making LTE chips. Verizon and AT&T's 4G coverage is really limited, I don't think they have even rolled out LTE here in Miami, Florid and if they did it happened recently. Besides that, all carriers are now going in the LTE direction where last year that was not clear. It wasn't until this month that manufactures just started using CAT3 SIM cards for LTE devices. CAT3 SIM cards allow the simcard to be swapped in and out of the phone where older LTE sim cards were permanently matched to the device (you loose the sim card or damage it and you need new phone). Add on top of that that with the iPad being on multiple carriers, apple will want to wait for the manufacturers to make chips that work not only with LTE(hardly anyone right now has LTE coverage) but also CDMA and GSM. If your are out of range of LTE connection it needs to fall back to CDMA or GSM radio. The chip would also need to work on the frequencies of all the carriers since the carriers are all using different frequencies.

Verizon has to be hoping for LTE in the next iPad since AT&T is already capable of offering speeds over 5mpbs with its current 3G HSPA+.

I would say that I'm hopeful and would be happy to see LTE in the new iPad however I'm not going to expect to see it added.

Also the things talked about like cloud computing are all low bandwidth things, what uses up bandwidth is downloading full video content (not streaming, although streaming does use bandwidth as well) I could easily remote into my home computer from my first generation iPad using ATT 3G data without issue turning my screen into my home desktop. The amount of information these type of apps use is minimal since all thats being sent is click locations and its just receiving screenshots back.

4. Psdsoft

Psdsoft
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    LTE is great in Australia and would certainly influence my purchasing decision.... But i'll buy anyway :)