What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yet another noob

Chilledspode

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings,
I'll be lurking in here for the next little while
As an over 45 yr old engineer who has never owned an apple product other than iPod - I am feeling much like a fish out of water with this ipad2.
Hoping to learn how to easily move large PDFs in and out of this iPad from a portable hd - plan on using iannotate on planes to review technical docs vs humping 2" binders of paper around...
Starting to learn about JBing and iFile but not sure I need to go that far/hoping there's a simpler answer.
Advise welcome
Cheers
Mark
(where's the dang file explorer on this thing)

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome! iPads are really easy to use - if you need help, everyone here is really friendly and willing to help out people with problems!

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I second Lyndsey, we are all noobs in the beginning, that doesn't mean we know much more though. You learn something new every day.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Rockbottom

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Chilledspode said:
Greetings,
I'll be lurking in here for the next little while
As an over 45 yr old engineer who has never owned an apple product other than iPod - I am feeling much like a fish out of water with this ipad2.
Hoping to learn how to easily move large PDFs in and out of this iPad from a portable hd - plan on using iannotate on planes to review technical docs vs humping 2" binders of paper around...
Starting to learn about JBing and iFile but not sure I need to go that far/hoping there's a simpler answer.
Advise welcome
Cheers
Mark
(where's the dang file explorer on this thing)

For filing, check GoodReader. Read their manual on their website. It is also a quite universal reader.

Sent from my iPad2 3G 32 gig (not JB'ed) / using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

OP
C

Chilledspode

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I spent several hours going through the FAQ section - it was pretty quick but I gleaned a great deal. It does appear that business users are the minority...
I still haven't found what I am looking for though - if may ask you for some advice...
Q: how would you transfer files from a portable drive direct to the ipad2. I work in a big business environment and Dropbox is a restricted site. So right now I load files on to a portable hd, go home throw the files on Dropbox and then pick them up with my iPad - if I miss something I have to wait until I get home again which is annoying... I understand the camera kit was not intended to port files other than image files and a jailbreak and iFile solution doesn't exist yet...
This should probably get moved to a tech section forum - just not sure which one...
Kind regards
Mark

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you load iTunes onto your work computer?

I ask because if you can, then you can use a handy little non-installable .exe file called Goodreader USB. It works with the Goodreader app ($4.99, USD). With it, you can move stuff back and forth between the iPad/Goodreader app and the computer. You attached the iPad to the computer via the USB cord.

To use the .exe file, you must have iTunes installed on the source computer. In my brief test just now, iTunes does not have to be running to work the .exe file, but it must be installed. You get this lovely Windows Explorer type window, into which you can drag and drop files (see attached picture); or copy from the iPad to the computer. And, Goodreader has an excellent "Open In..." interface and can store most documents I've put into it. So, you can, essentially, treat the iPad as a flash drive.

I know, it's all moot if you can't put iTunes on your work computer - but might this help if you can?

Marilyn

Attachments

• GoodReaderWindow.png
    GoodReaderWindow.png
    65.6 KB · Views: 180

Most reactions

Latest posts