What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

YES! Solution to downgrade iOS 4.3b3 to 4.2.1

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure all the alternative browsers sold in the app store, including iCab and Atomic, use the Safari engine. They all essentially all front ends / extensions to Safari.
This makes complete sense if you think about the complexities of coding a reliable rendering engine. These guys didnt just pop up and get it perfect first time.
Any speed difference would be in the interface only. Rendering should be identical.

That makes sense, but at the same time who knows? Only the developers.

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings jailbreak pro's,

I recently spun up a new iPad and left it with the 4.2.1 OS. I don't have any immediate plans to JB yet it sounded like I should ensure I have a copy of my "SHSH Blobs"? prior to upgrading to 4.3.1 to prevent any future JB issues.

Is this true and if so is there a thread or someone that can walk a noob through the software and/or process for capturing/saving my units unique SHSH blob?

Many thanks.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KJSmitty said:
Greetings jailbreak pro's,

I recently spun up a new iPad and left it with the 4.2.1 OS. I don't have any immediate plans to JB yet it sounded like I should ensure I have a copy of my "SHSH Blobs"? prior to upgrading to 4.3.1 to prevent any future JB issues.

Is this true and if so is there a thread or someone that can walk a noob through the software and/or process for capturing/saving my units unique SHSH blob?

Many thanks.

Go to http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/ Download it and run it. Connect your iPad to your computer. There is a button on tinyumbrella that says "save shsh" or someone similar. Click that, you will see it do something, and done!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to interject here.

If you have not already saved your SHSH blobs for iOS 4.2.1, then you no longer can. Apple has stopped signing that iOS version (as of about March 12).

Yes, you can still get/use Tiny Umbrella, but it can only save SHSH blobs for iOS 4.3 (or maybe only 4.3.1 since that's been released) - even if you are still running iOS 4.2.1.

Sorry 'bout that ... just bad timing.

Marilyn

P.S. Doesn't mean you can't jailbreak the iPad running iOS 4.2.1 (using GreenPois0n). It's just that if you decide to unjailbreak it after that - or need to restore for some reason - you'll not be able to unjailbreak or restore back to iOS 4.2.1. Because once Apple has stopped signing a firmware release [and you've not saved your SHSH blobs for the older version] you can only go up in using firmware versions, never down.

Last edited:

saguaro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:

If you have not already saved your SHSH blobs for iOS 4.2.1, then you no longer can. Apple has stopped signing that iOS version (as of about March 12).

Yes, you can still get/use Tiny Umbrella, but it can only save SHSH blobs for iOS 4.3 (or maybe only 4.3.1 since that's been released) - even if you are still running iOS 4.2.1.

Marilyn

P.S. Doesn't mean you can't jailbreak the iPad running iOS 4.2.1 (using GreenPois0n). It's just that if you decide to unjailbreak it after that - or need to restore for some reason - you'll not be able to unjailbreak or restore back to iOS 4.2.1. Because once Apple has stopped signing a firmware release [and you've not saved your SHSH blobs for the older version] you can only go up in using firmware versions, never down.

Couldn't he press the "Make my life easier" button in cydia the first time and save the 4.2.1 blobs that way?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nope. Once Apple stops signing firmware, you can't save them.

I would imagine that if he were to use that option in Cydia, the only SHSH blobs that would be saved would be 4.3 (and/or 4.3.1).

When you have Cydia saving SHSH blobs, what it actually does that first time is talk with Apple computers to get the authorization key. Then, it's taking that response from Apple and saving it somehow on their servers. That is all it does - and only that first time. It'll never talk to Apple about that version again.

Then later, when you ask for an authorization key for that firmware (in this case, 4.2.1), that request is not going to Apple, it's going to the Cydia server that acts like Apple (that saved your blobs initially). So, since it saved the response from the first time (when Apple said "yes, it's good"), it sends a good-to-go response to iTunes that it's an okay firmware version. IOW, it's fooling iTunes into thinking it's talking to Apple's servers, when really it's talking to Cydia's.

If you don't save the SHSH blobs on Cydia (with/without Tiny Umbrella), before Apple stops signing [approving] them, then when iTunes asks for authorization/verification - it's going straight to Apple. Their servers will deny the authorization because Apple has stopped signing it.

So, long story longer: So, if you have iOS 4.2.1 and if you've never saved your SHSH blobs and you try to save your SHSH blobs, that initial request, even if going through Cydia/Tiny Umbrella, goes straight to Apple, just like normal. However, Apple's computers will deny that request.

There, now that's clear as mud and probably way more than you care to hear. I just found all this stuff fascinating while I was researching as to whether to jailbreak or not. Though I understand what's going on, I can't do any of this technical stuff and am way impressed with the programmers of jailbreak asssets.

Anyway. Sorry to ramble and hope it answered your question.

Marilyn

saguaro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Indeed. Very informative. Thanks. Always glad to fill in the blanks in my knowledge.

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Mickey/all,

So I guess at this point there's no reason not to upgrade to 4.3.1. And if I do want to JB I just need to wait for the JB software to catch up to 4.3 correct? :)

Cheers

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:

Marilyn

Totally forgot about that, I guess my brain skipped over the 4.2.1.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Mickey/all,

So I guess at this point there's no reason not to upgrade to 4.3.1. And if I do want to JB I just need to wait for the JB software to catch up to 4.3 correct? :)

Cheers

Remember, as Marilyn said, you dont need your shsh to jailbreak 4.2.1. So you can still do that if you want. Its just that if something goes very very wrong with your iPad you wont be able to restore back to a clean 4.2.1. You will be forced to go to 4.3.1.

If you are careful to check what you want to install is compatible with 4.2.1 (and most apps are) you likely wont have any problems.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure all the alternative browsers sold in the app store, including iCab and Atomic, use the Safari engine. They all essentially all front ends / extensions to Safari.
This makes complete sense if you think about the complexities of coding a reliable rendering engine. These guys didnt just pop up and get it perfect first time.
Any speed difference would be in the interface only. Rendering should be identical.

Whether they are an extension of safari or not, atomic browser and icab blow away safari by itself in terms of page loading speeds, usability options, customizations, and overall better use. Not to mention better tab support ;-)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Demandarin said:
Whether they are an extension of safari or not, atomic browser and icab blow away safari by itself in terms of page loading speeds, usability options, customizations, and overall better use. Not to mention better tab support ;-)

Totally agree with everything, bar the page loading speeds which are more or less identical since they are the same rendering engine. I've done lots of side by side tests using both my iPads to prove the point to myself.
iCab feels faster, but it isn't by any margin I can appreciate side by side with Safari...

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Totally agree with everything, bar the page loading speeds which are more or less identical since they are the same rendering engine. I've done lots of side by side tests using both my iPads to prove the point to myself.
iCab feels faster, but it isn't by any margin I can appreciate side by side with Safari...

Hmm..lol. Well as long as it "feels faster" hinge the better experience, it's all good. That sux that apple won't let any "True" 3rd party developers make a browser from the ground up. They all have to include apples web kit blah blah blah..lol. They don't want no competion with their safari for real. I wonder if that's the reason Opera hasn't released the real opera mobile or opera browse for iPad. I remember reading over a month ago opera planned to release an iPad version of opera and I haven't seen or heard from it since. Figures..lol

Most reactions

Latest posts