What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yellowish tint on iPad air?

Redorded

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any owners experiencing this fault on their new ipad air? I have a mild version of it on the bottom left side of my 16gb gray version. Not sure whether I should send it back. Will it get worse over time?

Maybe it's a first batch issue and all units made up until discovery will feature the problem. Really like the air apart from this minor issue. My first apple product and I'm impressed.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
This problem has been reported by some owners and reviewers of the iPad Air. It's thought to be the result of a production issue. If the tinting is bad enough that it's distracting, you can return the device to Apple or your retailer and get a replacement.

Generally early production problems are resolved quickly but it's possible the replacement unit could suffer from the same issue if it's from the same stock.

Google 'yellow iPad screen' and you can view a variety of posts about the problem as well as comments by professional reviewers. You can draw your own conclusions and decide what course of action is best for you.

Please let us know how this works out.

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This problem has been reported by some owners and reviewers of the iPad Air. It's thought to be the result of a production issue. If the tinting is bad enough that it's distracting, you can return the device to Apple or your retailer and get a replacement. Generally early production problems are resolved quickly but it's possible the replacement unit could suffer from the same issue if it's from the same stock. Google 'yellow iPad screen' and you can view a variety of posts about the problem as well as comments by professional reviewers. You can draw your own conclusions and decide what course of action is best for you. Please let us know how this works out. AA Sent from my iPad using iPF

Yep, I've read some concerns about this too. A swap out is the right call. The screen is one of the best features of the iPad Air so it ought to be clean and perfect, IMO.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is what I remember about the Ipad 3 and a number of other people remember it also. It became a non issue. A quote from the Apple support forum

"lkrupp
Re: iPad Air with yellow tint on the left side of the screen?
Nov 3, 2013 10:53 AM (in response to _Mauce_)
You guys must have short memories. This issue has appeared before and it was nailed down to the glue used to put the device togther. As the glue cures the tint goes away. This is nothing new and has been talked to death many times in the past, with various devices and screens. Do some research will you."
Like (0)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Air looks tint free. I can see only all white at full brightness. I just got mine at an Apple shop Saturday, so mine is probably not among the first of the batches.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By the way, there are two types of yellow tint that I know about over years of owning iPads. One is blotchy discoloration, tied to glue. The second is an overall, completely even tint, which never goes away. I know because I've owned/gifted every generation of iPad since the original, except generation three, and have compared at full brightness on each. There are variations in screens even among the same generations, depending on the individual device. I don't know if it's a calibration variance or what, but screens aren't created equal.

With the overall, completely even tint, a screen can appear muddy or yellowish throughout, permanently. Personally, I prefer the completely yellowish tinted screen, because I like my iPads set at lowest brightness possible when I've got ambient light on low.

With these devices, don't worry about what others are experiencing so much; if your screen looks unacceptable to you, take it back. Get one that looks good to you.

OP
R

Redorded

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is what I remember about the Ipad 3 and a number of other people remember it also. It became a non issue. A quote from the Apple support forum

"lkrupp
Re: iPad Air with yellow tint on the left side of the screen?
Nov 3, 2013 10:53 AM (in response to _Mauce_)
You guys must have short memories. This issue has appeared before and it was nailed down to the glue used to put the device togther. As the glue cures the tint goes away. This is nothing new and has been talked to death many times in the past, with various devices and screens. Do some research will you."
Like (0)

Except that the ipad air doesn't use the same two layers glued together screen of past iPads. The air has a single layer of glass.

Most reactions