Ya wanna get screwd over?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by hey_moe, Mar 7, 2011.

1. hey_moe

hey_moe iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How would ya like to purchase a GPS HD app from the Apple store apps and after ya download it says not compatible with your current Ipad....lol. It says it will work with Ipads. After buying it and getting this message I went to their site and after reading the fine print on the last question in there support area it states it will only work with the 3G I pads. Am I a sucker or what.
  2. Davebarrie

Davebarrie iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Did you think ur wifi iPad had a gps in it? I don't understand
  3. Pocobear

Pocobear iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    It' clearly stated in all the Apple statements that the WiFi version doesn't have GPS and the 3G version does. There are hundreds, if not thousands of reviews that state this fact. And, you should read the requirements before you download any app. I got caught once by forgetting to read the requirements, but it wasn't so bad, I just had to upgrade from iOS 4.1.1 to iOS 4.2.1. Good excuse as any for you to buy a new iPad 2 with 3G and GPS built in.:)
  4. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +466 / 0
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  5. y2kgtp

y2kgtp iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I agree if it was this app, it's very vague. At least it's just 99c

[​IMG]
  6. nasomi

nasomi iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So your ignorance is their fault? As others have said, it's a well known fact and published everywhere that wifi ipads don't have gps. If you purchase a bluetooth device that says "requires bluetooth" but only specific bluetooth radios, it's not gonna specify it until the fine print. That's how apple makes their money, people are to button happy without actually looking into things before they buy it.
  7. DrHouse

DrHouse iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    I have a 16g wifi only, and I do have gps in mine. It is surely not getting my location thru Wifi. When I load google maps, I can see it following me where ever I go (from location to location of course)

Or do I have a 3G without knowing it for the price of a wifi only? That would be cool ;)
  8. dmaul1114

dmaul1114 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Random (but related) question. Why do the wifi only iPads not have GPS?

Do the 3G models just have some fake GPS that relies on cell towers (and thus you'd have to have a 3G plan and 3G reception)?

Just seemed odd to me since my Garmin in the car obviously doesn't have 3G! :D
  9. Diane B

Diane B iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0
    Yes, I know mine does it also but it doesn't work like my GPS. This is what I read as to how its able to do it.
    "The iPad can use Wi-Fi network trilateration from Skyhook Wireless to provide location information to applications such as Google Maps."
  10. Wolfpuppies3

Wolfpuppies3 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10 / 1
    It's simple

3G iPads draw the signal transmitted, wherever they are moved to, so long as they are in 3GS range. Wifi only cannot receive the signal as you move around (no 3GS!) and who needs GPS in their living room?
  11. dmaul1114

dmaul1114 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    But again, why not put in a GPS chip like car GPS units have. Those don't need any kind of internet signal.

Just curious. I have no interest in using a 10" tablet as a GPS! I love my Garmin Nuvi 1350lmt!
  12. Tinman

Tinman iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    The GPS functionality is part of the 3G radio. No 3G, no GPS.

Putting another GPS unit in for just the wifi only iPad, not to mention finding one that fits right into the space where the 3G radio would be, was apparently not workable. Certainly not for a device that was going to be the lower-cost model.

The WiFi only iPad uses WiFi location services. It does not use Skyhook though. Apple stopped using Skyhook beginning with the release of the iPad. They now use their own database of WiFi locations... helped by feedback from users (such as iPhones and 3G iPads).

The 3G iPad can and does also use WiFi location services.

Michael
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  13. Sjwred

Sjwred iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    and who needs GPS in their living room?[/QUOTE]
    Ooh perhaps it's a big living room with secret doors,pool tables,chairs and sofas to navigate around LOL
  14. freebirdforever

freebirdforever iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Ooh perhaps it's a big living room with secret doors,pool tables,chairs and sofas to navigate around LOL[/QUOTE]

Kinda like George Carlin once said;

Some people need all the gadgets, like the moron with the riding lawn mower with the two tone horn and the GPS system in case they get lost...on the lawn! >.<
  15. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    I go to places with no 3G/EDGE service, but need GPS function. And I go places that are miles from wifi. So both functions are dear to me. The nice thing, is when I do have both, it aides my navigation and allows me to locate gas stations, restaurants, stores, etc. If I need to find a Lowe's or Wal-Mart, I can do that and get directions to where ever. I also can check gas prices. Just that feature has saved me a lot of money over the past few months.
  16. Diane B

Diane B iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0
    Ooh perhaps it's a big living room with secret doors,pool tables,chairs and sofas to navigate around LOL[/QUOTE]

I use the location sometimes when I am using mobile hot spot. Its not something I care so much about but several restaurant, etc apps use location so it does help. My weather apps use the triangulation (?) means that its closer to me rather than closest city. Seakayaker'e points are useful also though I haven't tried cheapest gas. I'm in small city so we are pretty samey for gas unfortunately LOL--maybe a penny's diffence.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  17. DrHouse

DrHouse iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    I've downloaded some gps apps to validate that my wifi only does have a built-in gps chips. Just moving around in the house does show on the gps coordinates. So assuming that I could have wifi on the road, it would work the same as the 3G model.

I used some apps for trekking and you can clearly see the coordinates updating just moving a few meters around.

And my iPad gps seems more precise than my iPhone gps on my current location.

I bought mine in Quebec, canada.
  18. hey_moe

hey_moe iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I musta open a bucket of worms..lol. I am new to the Ipad apps. When I saw on the left hand side it works with Ipads thats all I saw. I use the Verizon wireless to connect on line when working I kinda thought that this program would work. For the ones who think I am using it around the house..lol. Kinda of shallow don't you think. I am a HVAC tech and work in a rural area. Yes I also use a a five inch Garmin and our company provides a laptop with a built in GPS. But it is outdated. I keep the Garmin up to date. I was hoping the Ipad GPS would work with my current Ipad because in the event I am unable to find the customers house that progam would let you use Google to zoom in the area and at least show the cusomers house. If you have ever worked in a rual area next time you are be-bopping around look out the window and see how easy it is to see the house number or mail boxes that have no numbers on either one, plus the houses are spread out and sit a right good ways off the road.I know there are other work around but this looked nice.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  19. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    That isn't gps, it uses your current wifi ip address and all others surrounding you to determine your location within 15m. With actual GPS you can turn wifi off and still have a result, since it uses satellites.
  20. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Your iPad has a compass, yes....GPS, no.

I have tethered my iPad to a phone and using the signal from the phone and wifi signals around it could come up with a basic location (it would jump all over the place within 15-20m but it was approximately where I was.)....there is no GPS radio in the wifi model, since it is actually built into the cell radio.