What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

XMBC comes to iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, & Apple TV

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
XBMC comes to the iPad
By Sean Hollister posted Jan 20th 2011 9:07PM

1-20-11-xbmc-ipad-small.jpg

We were politely asked to keep quiet about this until today, but here's the truth: XBMC now runs on the Apple A4, period. As in, there's no reason why you can't install that shiny new Apple TV 2 version of the media center software on your jailbroken iPad or iPhone 4 too. Find instructions at our more coverage link... then give the hackers and developers a cheer.

XBMC comes to the iPad -- Engadget

XBMC comes to the new Apple TV, we go hands-on (video)
By Ben Drawbaugh posted Jan 20th 2011 8:00PM
Hands-On
Exclusive

So you jailbroke your new Apple TV, only to realize that there's not all that much to do at the top of Everest except rest and enjoy your accomplishment, eh? No need to trek back down the hill -- there are a great many minds at work to leverage your new-found power into something truly useful. Like what, you say? Take a gander above. An second-generation Apple TV appeared at our doorstep this weekend with XBMC on board -- decoding our 1080p HD content, complete with hardware acceleration, on Apple's ARM silicon, and with only occasional choppiness.

If your sense of self-entitlement is wondering what took so long, don't. We're told that this isn't a simple port, as the new Apple TV doesn't share much with its older brother, and is an entirely different animal to develop for. The bulk of the work has been done, though, and as you can see in the video above, once you launch XBMC from the new Apple TV it is the same great experience you've come to love. The difference is, this time, the hardware you're running it on costs just $99. This tiny box is finally beginning to feel magical... now, we're just waiting on a simple installer so we can load it up ourselves.

Update: And just like that, the wait is over. If your jailbroken second-gen Apple TV is ready and you have the foggiest idea what "apt-get" does, you can install XBMC right now. Find instructions at our more coverage link below.

XBMC comes to the new Apple TV, we go hands-on (video) -- Engadget

bamfsig45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I put this on the ipad last night. I don't exactly get it. Seems slow and I dont see what it offers me over the apps I already have. Unless I'm missing something?

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I installed it on my iPad and it runs upside down...as in if you turn your iPad so xbmc is right side up, the volume buttons are on the bottom. Any idea how to change this? I also have to agree with the above post...not sure what this adds. It isn't even showing album art and other details.

Spink10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Munky said:
I installed it on my iPad and it runs upside down...as in if you turn your iPad so xbmc is right side up, the volume buttons are on the bottom. Any idea how to change this? I also have to agree with the above post...not sure what this adds. It isn't even showing album art and other details.

The program cannot rotate as of now.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are we supposed to get excited about this? I am quite underwhelmed by ATV 2 and AirPlay at the moment. Seriously disappointed would be more accurate.

I'm not sure that I would want to JB my ATV though. Surely Apple will improve the functionality in firmware updates.

Meanwhile I am giving WD TV Live serious consideration.

OP
xune

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How to install XBMC on Apple TV

How to install XBMC on Apple TV, by tiPb

Note: Requires jailbreak.

KOAu.iPhone-image-2011-01-22-16.30.08-400x298.jpg

Already jailbroken your Apple TV and curious how to install the nifty little XBMC add-on that allows you to stream and add even more content from your network? Since we don’t have Cydia for Apple TV (yet), the process of installing jailbreak apps is a bit different. Hit the jump for a quick walkthrough on how to get XBMC working on your jailbroken Apple TV.

First you’ll need a jailbroken AppleTV. If you haven’t done that already, check out our guide on jailbreaking the AppleTV with Seas0nPass.
After you’ve done that, follow these steps.

1. Open a terminal app as you’ll need to gain SSH access to your AppleTV.

2. Type ssh [email protected] – if that doesn’t work for you, instead of typing apple-tv.local, replace it with your AppleTV’s IP address which can be found under Settings then Network on your AppleTV.

Screen-shot-2011-01-22-at-4.36.04-PM-399x296.png

3. You’ll be asked for the password to your AppleTV next. By default, it is alpine. If you have changed it, enter the password you chose on your own instead. You may be asked if you’re sure you wish to continue, just type “yes”.

Password-SSH1-400x286.png

4. Once you are at the root menu, type (or copy/paste) this: echo "deb Index of /apt/atv2 ./" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.list and hit “enter”.

5. Next type (or copy/paste) this: apt-get update and hit “enter”.

Packages-SSH-400x305.png

6. A list of available apps will populate. Type (or copy/paste) this: apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 and hit “enter”.

Installing-SSH-400x70.png

7. You’ll see the app begin to install and once it reaches 100%, you’re done. Your AppleTV should flash briefly and when the main menu pops back up, XBMC should be added.

KIOb.iPhone-image-2011-01-22-16.21.05-400x298.jpg

As a side note, I had issues getting my MacBook to connect to my AppleTV via SSH. I kept getting connection refused or invalid host errors. There is a file on your Mac you can delete in order to stop these errors (not sure where it would be located on a PC if anyone wants to chime in here). You’ll need to unhide files on your Mac first. You can do that by following the steps below.

Open Terminal and type (or copy/paste): defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE and hit “enter”.

Type (or copy/paste): killall Finder

That should unhide all of the hidden files on your Mac. Now you should be able to navigate to /Users/username (in my case Ally)/.ssh and delete the file titled “known_hosts”. It should be the only file in that folder. Then try the above steps again. Only some of you may need to do this but I figured I’d throw it in there for anyone who has issues connecting via SSH to their AppleTV.

Daily Tip: How to install XBMC on Apple TV 2 [Jailbreak] | TiPb

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yeah i don't get it what's the vibe of this app either. i read a lot about it on the google (since one guy in here said that he won't explain why this is brilliant and i must google it... i hate those replies...) and i still didn't figure out how this replaces my current apps.
i don't think this app can manage my media. goodreader + atomic browser integration (ability to download files from atomic and open them directly in goodreader) works quite well for me so far. if this app wants to compete it needs to be able to introduce common file system for my media (the way goodreader does) and integrate itself with a web browser (again the way goodreader does it).

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yeah i don't get it what's the vibe of this app either. i read a lot about it on the google (since one guy in here said that he won't explain why this is brilliant and i must google it... i hate those replies...) and i still didn't figure out how this replaces my current apps.
i don't think this app can manage my media. goodreader + atomic browser integration (ability to download files from atomic and open them directly in goodreader) works quite well for me so far. if this app wants to compete it needs to be able to introduce common file system for my media (the way goodreader does) and integrate itself with a web browser (again the way goodreader does it).

Uh. XBMC is the standard of excellence among media streaming and HTPC applications. You really really dont understand it if you are mentioning atomic browser or goodreader as an alternative.

XBMC is an application that can play media files. That is its specialty. You dont have to convert video to any of Apple's supported file types. You dont have to sync media through stupid iTunes. XBMC allows you to play all of this across your network. For example, say you have a desktop that has a giant folder of movies on it. All you have to do is share that folder of movies across your network, then set XBMC up to see that folder and then it can play ANY movie that is in that folder wirelessly anywhere you are in your house. No syncing, no converting, no nonsense.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=What_is_XBMC_&_What_Can_it_Do?

read.

Edit: As a side note, what are you downloading in Atomic and opening up in Goodreader that could possibly have any relevance to a media player application? Documents and PDF's?

Last edited:

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see why anyone would use this on an iPad.

I use it on my HTPC and love it, but I dont see the need for such a full featured media center on the iPad.

Now installng it on Apple TV on the other hand, it's great!

bamfsig45

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Uh. XBMC is the standard of excellence among media streaming and HTPC applications. You really really dont understand it if you are mentioning atomic browser or goodreader as an alternative.

XBMC is an application that can play media files. That is its specialty. You dont have to convert video to any of Apple's supported file types. You dont have to sync media through stupid iTunes. XBMC allows you to play all of this across your network. For example, say you have a desktop that has a giant folder of movies on it. All you have to do is share that folder of movies across your network, then set XBMC up to see that folder and then it can play ANY movie that is in that folder wirelessly anywhere you are in your house. No syncing, no converting, no nonsense.

What is XBMC & What Can it Do? - XBMC

read.

Edit: As a side note, what are you downloading in Atomic and opening up in Goodreader that could possibly have any relevance to a media player application? Documents and PDF's?

AirPlayer and AVPlayer HD do all of this with out the complexity and slow UI of XMBC. And you dont have to be rooted like you do with XMBC.

AirPlayer connects to my PC and streams movies/music/photos flawlessly. and AVPlayer HD allows you to drag and drop avi movies ( and many other formats) straight to the ipad through iTunes w/o any video conversion.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not that XBMC is slow, it's just wasn't designed to run on such a slow device like the iPad. It was meant to be used on a computer with more RAM and a faster processor.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AirPlayer and AVPlayer HD do all of this with out the complexity and slow UI of XMBC. And you dont have to be rooted like you do with XMBC.

AirPlayer connects to my PC and streams movies/music/photos flawlessly. and AVPlayer HD allows you to drag and drop avi movies ( and many other formats) straight to the ipad through iTunes w/o any video conversion.

I honestly don't know how to respond to this other than just saying, no.

As soon as either of those require no additional software installed on host PC's, no iTunes conversions and playback of any file format including HD mkv files then they can be relevant when compared to XBMC.

XBMC has just been ported and doesn't even have a fully functional touch skin overlay yet. Once it is fully functional, its up to the iPad's hardware to do the rest. XBMC will use every bit of power the iPad has, far exceeding what any of those other programs will do.

bamfsig45

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I honestly don't know how to respond to this other than just saying, no.

As soon as either of those require no additional software installed on host PC's, no iTunes conversions and playback of any file format including HD mkv files then they can be relevant when compared to XBMC.

XBMC has just been ported and doesn't even have a fully functional touch skin overlay yet. Once it is fully functional, its up to the iPad's hardware to do the rest. XBMC will use every bit of power the iPad has, far exceeding what any of those other programs will do.

Im pretty sure I already said there was no need for video conversion, or third party software on your pc other than iTunes which we all have any way. And that is only so you can access the Documents area of AVPlayer HD and drag and drop. I dont have any HD mkv video files so I cant say whether is does or does not play that format.

You should really not put XBMC on such a high pedestal as though nothing can touch it.

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
+1

and what happens when your internet is down? your are screwed!!!! with cinexplayer i store my movies on my iPad (without converting to iTunes format) and play them flawlessly. and NO JAILBREAKING required!!!

bamfsig45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
+1

and what happens when your internet is down? your are screwed!!!! with cinexplayer i store my movies on my iPad (without converting to iTunes format) and play them flawlessly. and NO JAILBREAKING required!!!

never used cinexplayer but Im sure its comparable to AVPlayer HD.

Most reactions

Latest posts