What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

X ed apps

Vett

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It seems like ever since I installed a new update, 14.0.1, all my apps on the homepage have X s on them so that they can be deleted, I don't want to delete them, is this a bug in the new update

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I get minus marks, not X’s to tap on in order to delete an app.
E0DD3965-B0C7-4789-A684-3BAE441BC595.png

OP
Vett

Vett

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Never saw the minus signs. I know I can tap anywhere to get rid of them but why a of a sudden is it doing this

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It seems like ever since I installed a new update, 14.0.1, all my apps on the homepage have X s on them so that they can be deleted, I don't want to delete them, is this a bug in the new update

Never saw the minus signs. I know I can tap anywhere to get rid of them but why a of a sudden is it doing this

Well, my experience is different, i.e. when I press on an app's icon, I first get a context menu w/ a delete option; if I continue to press then the screen below appears (also when I press between icons) - the old fashion 'x' in the top left corner and the icons in jiggle mode, plus 'Done' in the left upper corner; so not sure how Scifan.. got his screen w/ the minus signs?

But @ Vett, I assume that you've tried a 'hard reset' on your iPad (methods vary depending on the model owned). Dave :)
IMG_1691.PNG

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It’s probably a difference between iOS and iPadOS that has minus symbols on the iPhone and plus symbols on the iPad.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It’s probably a difference between iOS and iPadOS that has minus symbols on the iPhone and plus symbols on the iPad.

Well as usual, you're right - just did the same maneuver on my iPhone XR (iOS 14.0.1) which produced the screen you showed previously - now why would Apple want to confuse us users of both devices? :confused: Dave

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you tap and hold the home screen for too long, you’ll get the x to remove apps. I’ve also noticed this on my devices. Just a second is enough to show the wiggling apps with the option to delete them, so that happens way more frequently and easily than before iOS/iPadOS 14.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you tap and hold the home screen for too long, you’ll get the x to remove apps. I’ve also noticed this on my devices. Just a second is enough to show the wiggling apps with the option to delete them, so that happens way more frequently and easily than before iOS/iPadOS 14.

@ Vett - the point above is correct, i.e. hardly a second's press between the icons will bring up the 'x's and the jiggling apps - are your apps moving and is 'Done' in the right upper corner as in the pic I showed from my iPad Pro (on iPadOS 14.0.1)? Dave :)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well as usual, you're right - just did the same maneuver on my iPhone XR (iOS 14.0.1) which produced the screen you showed previously - now why would Apple want to confuse us users of both devices? :confused: Dave
Is it confusing?
Without both posts above, I wouldn’t have noticed there’s a difference. It’s the same option, same location. I don’t mind subtracting apps instead of x-ing them out. :)

OP
Vett

Vett

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes you are right tapping the screen will do it but it has never done this before I did the update, very annoying

Most reactions